Alexandre Desplat - The Monuments Men

Muad'Dib

It seems to be Desplat's equivalent to Thomas Newman's The Good German. Nothing new from film music, of course, but curiously entertaining throwback exercise.

The CD comes out Monday and I pre-ordered it. Finally something I genuinely want to own.

Oh Michael, it has been briefly discussed lately.

Karol

Here is a rather unflattering review of the film, focusing for 3 paragraphs lambasting the score, which apparently ruined the movie for this particular critic.

I have a feeling that either Jason Bailey is a critic hyper allergic to music in movies or Desplat and Clooney might have overdone things.

Anyways the album itself is a highly enjoyable one. :)

The film, judged by the reviews, isn't very convincing and to drench it in big movie music is like dumping a ton of blood in a shark tank when it comes to critics. For my own perverse folly i imagine the same mandate given to James Horner and then imagine the slaughter that would ensue. Desplat has two movies in this years Berlinale, this and GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL and from all i heard, GBH is insubstantial but a real crowdpleaser and MM is a bit of a disappointment so one thing is certain: film score fans will cherish MM much more!

It's quite obvious that Desplat could have written this score the way you see it, if given the chance. If you listen to some material from Rise of the Guardians, he was up for it. As it stands, he honoured Williams in small details and some orchestrations techniques, but had to adhere to temp as well. Too bad.

Karol

Yeah, according to this one anecdote from Conrad Pope (I think) both gentlemen were quite horrified upon discovering the film was temped with The Dark Knight.

Not sure if this is indeed true, but seems like it. But if you think about it this way, it turns out Desplat made some heroic efforts to inject the film with as much personality as he could.

Karol

Yeah, according to this one anecdote from Conrad Pope (I think) both gentlemen were quite horrified upon discovering the film was temped with The Dark Knight.

and 28 Days Later and such...

I haven't seen the film yet, but at least from hearing the score by itself this is very toung-in-cheek music; perfectly concious of iselft and still having a blast. The main theme itself is almost like a good-hearted parody.

Well said, this is a fun score by the sound of that video!

It is fun and full of melody and nice themes. The main theme is very hummable. In fact it has been playing in my head for a few days now and I find myself whistling it now and again. :)

I haven't seen the film yet, but at least from hearing the score by itself this is very toung-in-cheek music; perfectly concious of iselft and still having a blast. The main theme itself is almost like a good-hearted parody.

It does sound a bit like pastiche in some place, but is also thankfully nicely balanced out by slightly darker suspense/action material.

The only thing I find a bit weird is the Finale track. Seems to be several cues stitched together, rather than one 9-minute piece. Strange.

Karol

It does sound a bit like pastiche in some place, but is also thankfully nicely balanced out by slightly darker suspense/action material.

The only thing I find a bit weird is the Finale track. Seems to be several cues stitched together, rather than one 9-minute piece. Strange.

Karol

Not everybody writes like James Horner! ;)

But yes I noted that too. I guess Desplat wanted to link them together none the less. Nothing very uncommon about it as such.

No, but it starts and stops, as if someone forgot to separate the tracks. ;)

Karol

That's film music for you. It starts and it then stops all of a sudden.

Brian Tyler albums never end! ;)

Karol

Gosh it really feels like that most of the time!

MV Gerhard of La-La Land Records loves the score too

Damn you Desplat and your infectious score! It's simply wonderful. I can't get the theme out of my head! It's been some time since a new score has managed to do that. :)

Yeah just listened to it again, on the train. And yesterday too. It's getting better and better as I get to know multiple themes better. Actually some of the secondary material might be even better than the principal one. I also like the one, which seems to be a minor variations on the Rise of the Guardian theme (in a way). :)

Karol

Indeed a very fun score, I listened to it again the other day.

Does it remind anyone else of Giacchino's Medal of Honor score in parts?

Other parts had a Williams feel to me, particularly ET and.... something else I forget now.

Indeed a very fun score, I listened to it again the other day.

Does it remind anyone else of Giacchino's Medal of Honor score in parts?

Other parts had a Williams feel to me, particularly ET and.... something else I forget now.

Yeah there is a sort of MOH vibe going on that I noticed from the first listen. I also hear slight connection to Williams' None But the Brave.

The main theme is actually probably the least favourite of mine. Other 4-5 themes I like better.

Karol

I wasn't referring to the main theme, I was referring to that noble fanfare bit that opens this cue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z7BRQ-UQgk&

The main theme is actually probably the least favourite of mine. Other 4-5 themes I like better.

Karol

I wasn't referring to the main theme, I was referring to that noble fanfare bit that opens this cue:

That is actually the bit that reminds me of None But the Brave in style and mood.

Has anyone here seen the movie? Curious how it works in the film.

I think it works pretty well. Tonally, the film is off as they never really decide on the right places/levels of humor throughout. That being said, the movie is full of sincerity and the score does a good job of bringing it out. I haven't had the chance to listen to the score independently, but I enjoyed it immensely in the film itself and will probably come back to it more than the film in years to come.

So there you have it. It was a lost cause from a get go.

Karol

I hear some minor temp track influences in Deathly Hallows, but Part 1 was Desplat through and through. The temp track influences were more apparent in Part 2, in terms of the Williams and Hooper material.

In all of the interviews leading up to the scoring of Part 1 he mentioned how much he was looking forward to playing with Williams' material and Hedwig's Theme. I think it's fair to say that he was asked to go in a 'gritty' direction.

"This is too whimsical! This needs to be grittier, darker! Give me more pounding drums!" I said to this French buffoon. He wanted to write this magic-infused score with lots of instruments I had never heard of. He didn't understand what the film needed. Dear lord. Foreign composers..."

David Yates on working with Alexandre Desplat on Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows

Why is there grain in my film score? Do we need grit? What, are we like chicken or something to you!

This score needs more cat litter! - David Yates

I don't like sand in my film scores. It's gritty, coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth. - Steven Spielberg at the Lincoln sessions

• 4 months later...

Saw the film the other day, and I think i really missed not checking this score at release date. Desplat definately has potential, I should try his score more.

Sometimes it reminds me of Williams 'war' scores and definately some medal of honor there.

The moment i saw the "Ghent altarpiece" scene, when the nazi car appears, it was a giacchino ostinato, i think similar to enterprising young men. Nice score overall, and i dont mean it is derivative, i think it's just the style.

And i also think that this story would have made a great Indy film. But harison can't play indy in the 40's today :/.

I hear what you're saying, Luke. I finally saw the film a little while ago and while it wasn't overall very good, it had a lot of great moments, and the score REALLY stood out as something special when watching it. It really set the whole tone of the film and unified it together. What I mean is, the film is a bit of a messy combo of joky stuff and serious stuff, but the score maintains a lighthearted air so you kind of fall into the right groove.

I listened to the score again the other day because my CD arrived in the mail and I was more impressed than before. I love all three of the main themes and the presentation as a whole. Great work by Desplat.