1M1: Hollywood Horns of the Golden Years

Marc

Definitely a must see! Thanks for the heads-up Marc! :)

Look at those old coots!

These days you can replace them with a software patch!

Sadly...

This is going to be hornist's favourite movie!

Naturally! :)

Sounds great. I always wanted to play the horn as a kid, instead of the cello, but it just happened that a peripatetic cello teacher was visiting my primary school. Isn't it true that it's one of that hardest instruments in the orchestra to master? Probably best to start young.

I dabbled with the horn just a little bit when I was younger, of course that never meant much.

The horn, at least to my knowledge, is definitely the toughest of the brass instruments to master.

Isn't it true that it's one of that hardest instruments in the orchestra to master?

Yes. I'm not a hornist, but I know from talking to them that even the most experienced players get nervous with certain passages because there's always a danger of flubbing obvious notes due to the way the instrument's made. It always makes me think of Peter Schickele's running commentary of Beethoven's 5th (@ 2:21):

And probably most of them are home brewers. It must be a secret guild thing or something.

The horn might be a tough play, but everyone always knew where to come for a good time in high school band. The trombone section.

Flute section ftw ;)

And Stefan, yeah, I tried it around in my first year in high school, which is why I said its of little significance.

Not that the instrument is easy, but I do think sometimes that the difficulty of it is overstated. It's just simply different, and falls sometimes in an awkward area of the harmonic series. But with double and triple horns most of those obstacles are overcome, or at least made into less of an issue. But many school music teachers, unless they're horn players, don't quite understand the instrument and get afraid to teach it and I think that also contributes to the difficulty stigma of it. Overall though, I don't feel it's any harder than other brass instruments...just different.

I dabbled with the horn just a little bit when I was younger

Is that an innuendo?

KK's mum: "KK,, why are you locked in your room? What are you doing in there?"

KK: "I'm just... hum... dabbling with the horn, mum"

My old sword, Sting. The blade glows blue when BloodBoal is close. And it's times like that, my lad, when you have to be extra careful with what you say.

FrodoBilboSting.jpg