Extended Jerry Goldsmith's The River Wild Recording Sessions documentary

Incanus

While reading Filmtracks I stumbled upon a discussion where these two Youtube videos from Jerry Goldsmith's The River Wild recording sessions were linked. Part of this material is seen in the old JG Film Music Masters documentary but this is, I believe the actual raw footage from various parts of the sessions from the opening tuning to recording booth discussions between JG and director Curtis Hanson. There is over an hour's worth of it in 2 parts. Fascinating stuff seeing how the scoring proceeds and how meticulous the crafting of a cue can be! :)

Part 1

Part 2

I watched this a while back as part of a binge of Jerry related interviews/documentaries. It was definitely a fascinating watch, but I wish it featured one of his greater scores.

I watched this a while back as part of a binge of Jerry related interviews/documentaries. It was definitely a fascinating watch, but I wish it featured one of his greater scores.

Ditto! But beggars can't be choosers.

Absolutely fascinating to watch. Goldsmith seems to have a perfectionist side, but cordial and professional to the session players all the same. I liked his good-natured "Rudy's doing well? Maybe I'll get paid a bit more" aside in between sessions.

Now I wish the same people who taped Goldsmith's sessions for The River Wild did one for Shirley Walker. I wonder how her scoring process differed from Goldsmith's.

Yeah, he always seemed like such an affable guy. Wish he were here.

There's also a not-great quality video of him recording The Mephisto Waltz. I'll find it when I'm not on my phone.

Haven't seen anyone point it out, but in part 2 you can see Varese's own Robert Townson in the booth. He chats briefly with Jerry boasting how well the Rudy soundtrack is selling, saying it has been "doing really well since the video came out, like 500 a week". The maestro surprised jokingly saying back "That's great news, he may have to pay me some money.".

I think it must be a routine for veteran film composers but I absolutely love the calm and composed atmosphere of all these professionals who are as usual playing against the clock on the recording sessions and still JG and his team take such care in massaging the subtlest cue with the director and there is no hint of panic or nervousness. Just such calm professional problem solving. Really brilliant to watch professionals at work. :)

And to think Spielberg must have cupboards full of JWs scoring session footage...

I think it must be a routine for veteran film composers but I absolutely love the calm and composed atmosphere of all these professionals who are as usual playing against the clock on the recording sessions and still JG and his team take such care in massaging the subtlest cue with the director and there is no hint of panic or nervousness. Just such calm professional problem solving. Really brilliant to watch professionals at work. :)

I wish they were like that at my work. When they see a problem, they panic and start blaming each other!

While reading Filmtracks I stumbled upon a discussion where these two Youtube videos from Jerry Goldsmith's The River Wild recording sessions were linked.

I've seen this before, too. Damn, I would pay full price to buy those documentaries instead of the actual movies :P