THE MATRIX in full score from Omni Music Publishing

filmmusic

• 3 months later...

Ordered it immediately. Somehow the shipping costs have doubled since Batman... I hope there's a sensible reason for that (bigger book maybe?).

I don't see how it's bigger. The dimensions are the same.

In fact, it's got fewer pages than Danny Elfman's "Batman" score from the same company.

Maybe Warner Bros. just wants more royalties.

Will have to give second thoughts about ordering it.

Ordered it immediately. Somehow the shipping costs have doubled since Batman... I hope there's a sensible reason for that (bigger book maybe?).

How much is it to Austria Chris?

it's $66 to Greece.

oh, never mind. I just changed the country and checked for myself. It's the same!

I'm personally still frustrated that Omni can't renew the rights to resell another 100 copies of Edward Scissorhands (and for reasons that Fox Film Corp. has refused to disclose).

But I'm not going to let that ruin my fun over wanting to get The Matrix score.

Hi All,

Omni Music owner here.

Yes, there's been some upset over the increased international shipping cost. Here's the reason:

Batman shipped outside the US under a 1st class shipping rate, the lowest rate available, which does not include tracking, nor insurance. I went with this rate to be as accommodating as possible. As a consequence, MANY books were lost or reported undeliverable, with no ability to recoup cost. I didn't want the same problem that occurred for Batman to present itself for The Matrix.

Hi All,

Omni Music owner here.

Yes, there's been some upset over the increased international shipping cost. Here's the reason:

Batman shipped outside the US under a 1st class shipping rate, the lowest rate available, which does not include tracking, nor insurance. I went with this rate to be as accommodating as possible. As a consequence, MANY books were lost or reported undeliverable, with no ability to recoup cost. I didn't want the same problem that occurred for Batman to present itself for Matrix.

I bought BATMAN, it cost already a fortune but it arrived good and safe in Europe. Why should I pay inefficiency for the rest of the world?

Sorry but THE MATRIX shipping costs actually prohibitive. I'll wait for Xmas as well. And if it is already sold out, good for Omni.

My copy arrived today, that was fast! And somehow customs didn't want any fee, unlike last time, even though the price of the book was the same and with the increased shipping costs. So all in all I didn't pay more than for Batman, but with a severely reduced shipping time.

After a first quick browse through the score it looks very polished, looking forward to reading along with the recording :). Nice introduction to the main motives and unusual percussion instruments, too.

Also, thanks to Tim for the prompt responses to my emailed enquiries! I hope there are more great scores in the pipeline for the future... and hopefully, someday an international run of Edward Scissorhands.

For those who have the book, what does Davis say about the recurring canon-like textures in the score, and those atonal piano lines. What was the compositional process behind them? Who first came up with the bowed styrofoam cup (it's used in ALIENS)? What synths/samples were used in the prelays (there's a cool flanging synth associated with the Agents)?

Do I have to wait until December 25th to find out?

For those who have the book, what does Davis say about the recurring canon-like textures in the score, and those atonal piano lines. What was the compositional process behind them? Who first came up with the bowed styrofoam cup (it's used in ALIENS)? What synths/samples were used in the prelays (there's a cool flanging synth associated with the Agents)?

Are you sure it will be still in print near Christmas?

Then of course there's the solo boy soprano which was used in Revolutions then copied in multiple films after that (The Day After Tomorrow).

Shore did it first....

Are you sure it will be still in print near Christmas?

God I hope so.

If you're referring to the instroductory text, it's not by Davis (unless he speaks of himself in the third person ;)). The text only describes the way the mentioned motives are constructed, not the process of creating them (sorry to disappoint). The synth sounds are just described in a general way where they appear ("rusty spoke", "deep hit", "brooding pad", "inverted cymbal" etc.).

Then of course there's the solo boy soprano which was used in Revolutions then copied in multiple films after that (The Day After Tomorrow).

Shore did it first....

There's a boy soprano in the first Matrix (track "Switch's Brew" on the DE).

I'm sure that the first use of boy soprano wasn't in Matrix. (or in Lord of the Rings)

70 years of film music before that and noone used a boy soprano?

it can't be..

hmmm.. let me think.

well, alien 3 features a boy soprano too (and shadowlands a year after), but I guess there are definitely earlier scores that have used this too.

• 2 weeks later...