The actor/actress you just can't stand

Joni Wiljami

Can't you say anything negative about Nolan?

Alex

Nope because he's a deity and through him only we can achieve salvation!

Seriously though, he knows shit about film music and often sacrifices character for the sake of structure. It gets in the way every now and then.

Karol

No, but he was crazy good anyway. BTW, who played this role?

233_2_zps08baa9b3.jpg

Wasn't that Oldman as well? Whoever it was, it was crazy good!

Edward Norton.

It's the most thankless part in the film and he makes the most of it. Completely forgot about who's playing it.

Karol

Oldman was great as Gordon, just as he's great in pretty much anything he plays.

Franco is alright. Depends on the role he's playing. I find him a bit of limited actor, but he can be quite good (ex. 127 Hours).

It's the most thankless part in the film and he makes the most of it. Completely forgot about who's playing it.

Karol

Oldman was great as Gordon, just as he's great in pretty much anything he plays.

One of the few truly chameleon actors. He completely disappears into his roles.

Karol

One of the few truly chameleon actors. He completely disappears into his roles.

Indeed. Incredibly versatile. Hard to believe he's only gotten nominated once for the Oscar.

You youngsters are too impressed way too easily. Saying he's "great"' as Gordon is an insult to true greatness.

The point is that when I watch the Batman films, I don't see Gary Oldman. I see Commissioner Gordon. As has been said already, he disappears completely into that role.

Oldman's Gordon is truly great. I do see him totally disappear into the role.

Any bad attempts at humor, that is, not the dry stuff, are the fault of Goyer and not the Nolans.

How can it be "truly great" when the role itself is nothing to write home about or the humor it's trying to bring is embarrassing? Nolan agreed with the script so it's his fault as well. I must say, I'm really surprised about how impressed some of you are. I would have expected 'adequate' or 'passable' or even 'good' ... but "truly great"? Nah! You are only diminishing the power of the term by abusing it.

Hard to believe he's only gotten nominated once for the Oscar.

I guess the enlightened and honorable members of the academy are seeing it my way. ;)

Oldman shines as Gordon in The Dark Knight, and more specifically during the encounter with Harvey. Does the performance require a lot? Probably not, but what the character needs to be in the film and how the actor portrays it are two different things.

Well, I loved BEING JOHN MALKOVICH and ETERNAL SUNHINE but hated SYNECHDOCHE NEW YORK. Maybe I should give it a shot?

It's more on the Synecdoche side of things I guess, but I've only seen it once myself.

I'm not convinced when I see Oldman as Gordon. I see Oldman with a hat trying to be Gordon but he never really becomes the character.

I don't think I've ever seen Oldman in a role where I saw Oldman. He's always the character.

How can it be truly great? The same reason you think it's not. It just worked for me, didn't for you.

There's a difference between 'it worked for me' and 'truly great'. You're also ignoring what I've said.

Is that the best you Nolan fans can do? ;)

Oldman shines as Gordon in The Dark Knight

Come on! An actor can't shine with a poorly drawn character whose humor falls flat on its face.

And what does that collage prove? Different appearances have nothing to do with becoming a character. Jeez!

Alex

How can it be truly great? The same reason you think it's not. It just worked for me, didn't for you.

There's a difference between 'it worked for me' and 'truly great'. You're also ignoring what I've said.

Is that the best you Nolan fans can do? ;)

I ignored what you said because I think Koray answered it well enough. And no, there is no difference! Your wrongness is embarrassing. ;)

Come on! An actor can't shine with a poorly drawn character whose humor falls flat on its face.

Alex

Arent you a staunch defender of Liam Neeson's Qui Gon?

Staunch defender is putting it strongly but he was the best thing about TPM, yes. IMHO, Gordon was one of the weakest characters of Batman Begins. What's your point?

Alex - longing for a JWFan pro

Mr. Shark is right about David Goyer's inability to write humor (much to Koray's delight).

The humor has nothing to do with the character though. Those crappy Goyer lines are sprinkled all throughout. Whether it's the "He's flying on rooftops!" stuff from the cops or the "Nice ride" line from the hobo.

Embarrasing is more like it, Steef. Just like "I think he's kind of hot, sir" in MOS was embarrassing.

Like Lee said, it's just an innocent, warm-heated cap to an otherwise topical scene (Supes bringing down a drone). There's not much forced humour in MOS. Most of the humour that works comes from the deliberately campy/arch dialogue ("Unleash... the World Engine!") and some of the visuals.

Mr. Shark is right about David Goyer's inability to write humor (much to Koray's delight).

The humor has nothing to do with the character though.

It has everything to do with a character. You can't shine when you have crappy embarrassing lines. Oldman had nothing to work with. He may have done other things that might deserve superlative praise but Gordon isn't exactly one of them.

Embarrasing is more like it, Steef. Just like "I think he's kind of hot, sir" in MOS was embarrassing.

There's not much forced humour in MOS.

That was the only attempt ... and it was crappy.

The humor has nothing to do with the character though.

It has everything to do with a character. You can't shine when you have crappy embarrassing lines. Oldman had nothing to work with. He may have done other things that might deserve superlative praise but Gordon isn't exactly one of them.

But there are only like 3 of those lines in the whole film. Blame the writing, not the acting.

There's not much forced humour in MOS.

That was the only attempt ... and it was crappy.

That's about 300 less attempts than the Batman trilogy.

Gordon was comic-relief material? Since when?

And Gordon may not be among Oldman's career highlights, but the fact is Oldman DOES disappear in that role, as is the case with most of what he plays. That's why I can appreciate him in these films.