The Help Me Like Thomas Snoozeman's Music Thread

BLUMENKOHL

Music is not math?

Emily Howell would like a word with you, Steef.

Hm. That's nice. Perhaps I and everyone else composing are out of a job?

1:35 and 2:49. Spine tingling climax!

I have determined that if this climax doesn't make you a Newman fan, you lack a soul... and a libido.

Well, I think Corigliano's Oscar was well-deserved, for that brilliant concerto alone.

And you can always accept defeat with a little bit more class. But I guess it's hard to remember that the cameras are basically always on your face. ;)

Sure, John deserved it, and I love his speech. But I can't tell if Newman is reacting disappointedly or disapprovingly. I am sure it's the former.

I think he should have won in 94. I'm ok with saying Hans shouldn't have, because there were several other times where he was robbed where I would give it to him in this hypothetical Oscar world.

Well, I think Corigliano's Oscar was well-deserved, for that brilliant concerto alone.

And you can always accept defeat with a little bit more class. But I guess it's hard to remember that the cameras are basically always on your face. ;)

I am forever bitter to John for beating John in 1999.

Williams didn't even turn up! And it's one of his finest works (in my opinion).

But yeah. The Red Violin is more than worthy. A great score, but then again, all four Corigliano film works are.

Karol

Williams didn't even turn up! And it's one of his finest works (in my opinion).

But yeah. The Red Violin is more than worthy. A great score, but then again, all four Corigliano film works are.

Karol

Agreed, in my top5 for certain. Corigliano's work is also quite stunning.

That track combined with the Johnny "The Pelvis" Williams avatar is a winner.

No, that's the wrong Santaollala. Too many notes!

Karol

Oh you mean the guitar strumming Santaolalla!

Yes, the haunting Oscar winning Santaollala. That's what you need in the moment of need.

Karol

Well his Oscar wins surely haunt me. And not in the best way.

Here is one of my favourite Newman tracks

The whole Oscar and Lucinda score is definitely worth exploring. Newman once again combines the highly melodic writing with his own brand of atmospheric though not necessarily sound designy mood painting.

One of my favourite Coolman pieces. Arguably one of the most attractive ideas in his career:

Angels In America is definitely up there among his best works, collecting indeed everything that is good about the composer into one package. I wish he had done more variations on the sublime main title theme though.