Marvel / Netflix : Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist (The Defenders)

Jay

Jessica Jones 1x05 AKA The Sandwich Saved Me

Wow I wasn't expecting the show to ever actually show us flashbacks to when Jessica tried to be a superhero (kinda) so that was great!  Still don't like that cop dude that's now boning Trish.  I think the actor just rubs me the wrong way, but it could also be the way he's written, or both.  Their plot to follow the druggie dude to Kilgrave and capture him with the sedatives was good, and I was actually kinda surprised that it seemed to work - I guessed I've figured from the beginning that Jessica and Kilgrave wouldn't show down until the end of the season, buts its nice that they had they get close once already and then she captures him here.  Although the capture is only briefly because she (stupidly) didn't check his pockets until they had stopped the van in an alleyway.  Of course he has bodyguards!  At least it was an excuse for a fight scene.  I wonder what the next part of the plan will be, or how important Hope will be in what's to come.

• 3 weeks later...

I recall in the last ep of season 1 it actually looked a bit weird when Daredevil finally donned a real superhero costume. It kinda clashed with the semi-realistic tone of the show.

I wonder how season 2 will fare.

I think most people had a similar reaction.  I got so used to the black get-up, which looked cool, that I almost forgot I was watching a show about a comic book character who traditionally runs around with a red suit and a horned masked.  When he finally revealed the suit in the last bit of the last episode I was taken aback.  It looked off given what came before.

Daredevil 1x09 Speak of the Devil

I wish Netflix offered some kind of "previously on" for TV shows instead of assuming everyone binge-watches; It's been a while since I watched the last episode and had to remind myself of what was going on.

Nice opening fight scene, a nice way to cold open the show; I didn't like that they also flash-forwarded to this fight halfway through the episode as well.  There was no need to show it until the main story got there.  Speaking about that guy, one annoying thing in this episode is that it was quite obvious that Kingpin was setting Matt up for a trap by killing the old lady, so we basically had to slog through watching Matt go around talking to perps until he figured it out and was caught up to where we already were.

Speaking of Kingpin, the various meetings he's always having with various other criminals tend to be confusing; I never understand exactly what each different group specifically wants or how Kingpin is manipulating them all to get what he wants.  I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Interesting scene where Matt goes into the art gallery and meets Kingpin's girl, then Kingpin himself.  I wonder if Kingpin will realize the pesky lawyer is Daredevil this season?

Didn't care for the catholic confession scenes, they kinda dragged on.

Ending fighting with Nobu and then the beatdown by Kingpin were pretty good.  I had no idea how Matt was gonna get out of there!

So Happy finally learns Matt is Daredevil (or should I say "The Mask" as they've been calling him all season).  Curious to see where that goes next week!

Jessica Jones 1x06 AKA You're A Winner!

No Trish this week, at least that means we didn't have to see that annoying cop guy either :)

One thing I think this show does very well is juggle tons of storylines per episode and the viewer never loses track of what's what or what's going on.  This week we had:

• Kilgrave using his powers to steal a million dollars from poker players, and then NOT use his powers to buy Jessica's childhood home: This was interesting!  An underground poker game is a smart way to get some cash (its not like they can go to the cops about it), but its curious why he didn't want to use his powers to get the house.  I guess because 12 hours later the guy would regret his decision?  I dunno.  What does he want with this house anyway?
  • Hope being pregnant with Kilgrave's offspring, and wanting to abort it.  Damn, that's dark!
  • Hogarth enlisting Jessica to get the dirt on her wife in order to re-marry her assistant; The storyline is mostly the least interesting one on the show, but I'm sure its leading somewhere interesting
  • The druggie neighbor recovering: The fact that we're still seeing this guy indicates to me he'll be more than just a one-time Kilgrave stooge, so that should be interesting
  • And the big story of the week is Luke and Jessica's hunt for a guy who knew his wife, and everything that happens.  Jessica gets another flashback remembering when under Kilgrave's control the wife dug up the box and then he had Jessica kill her (the viewer and Jessica already knew she killed her, but not that she played some kind of role in Kilgrave's old scheme).  I liked Jessica and Luke's hunt, and the fight in the weed place.  The contents of the box turned out to be a USB stick that had the name of the bus driver that Cage thinks killed his wife; When he goes out for revenge, Jessica finally reveals the truth to him.  This is devastating to Luke, since Jessica knew and willingly slept with him (Why Jessica didn't tell him that she didn't remember until after the first time they slept together, I dunno).

To be honest, I'm not fully enthralled by the Luke Cage character (he's really getting his own show?) nor his relationship with Jessica; Though I like Jessica and want her to be happy, for some reason I don't see Luke as a good match for her, despite his mutual superpowers and their obvious sexual chemistry.  I wonder how he'll factor into the rest of the season now that he has some kind of closure on his wife's death; The only thing I can think of is that he'll want to learn more about Kilgrave, realize it was really him that killed his wife, and then want to team up with Jessica to take him down.  Cool!

Daredevil 1x10 Nelson v. Murdock

Damn, I had completely forgotten that Rosario Dawson was even on this show; she hasn't been seen or mentioned in a while.  It's really weird that the entire opening of this episode features Matt and Foggy talking about her and how she stitched him up, but she didn't appear in the episode!

The flashbacks to Foggy and Matt meeting and their early days were really good, but a bit confusing timeline-wise (it said it was the Fall of  2010, but it seemed like they were starting undergrad and they are clearly in their 30s now so wouldn't Fall of 2000 made more sense?)

The conversation between Foggy and Matt in the current time is the crux of the episode and was pretty good.  Foggy asks all the right questions and ponders all the various aspects of their history and if what Matt is doing can be justified.  Foggy seems to walk away from the firm at the end but I'm sure that won't last for more than an episode.

Fisk meeting with the various criminal associates... blah blah blah

Page and Urich meeting Fisk's mom - interesting.  I think I missed how Page knew she'd be there, but it was a good way to get Urich back on the case after he wanted to give it up.

The poisoning at the end.... unexpected!  I guess the Japanese lady is behind it?

• 2 weeks later...

Daredevil 1x11 The Path Of The Righteous

Wow, I did not see that ending coming!  Wesley is always so careful and deliberate; I can't believe he put a loaded gun on the desk and she got it!  Unless it just had blanks in it and he set off squibs, but that would be pretty stupid (and what would be the point of tricking her anyway).   Damn!

The only other really good scene this week was Matt meeting with the guy who made Fisk's suit and hiring him to make the Daredevil costume I'm sure we'll see in the finale.  Pretty cool how that worked out.

For the poisoning of the people at Fisk's party, I'm assuming the Shawshank warden guy is behind it.

Rosario Dawson's nurse character finally shows up again, but its so fleeting I wonder why they even bother casting her.  I hope she gets more to do before the season's over!

That's about it this week, not a whole lot really happened.  2 more episodes to go!

Daredevil 1x12 The Ones We Leave Behind

Damn, another major character death!  Didn't Urich realize what kind of heat he'd bring by attempting to publish that article outing Fisk's murderous past which was clearly sourced by his mother?  I felt like this storyline ended up being quite the "honest reporter gets killed when he takes on the wrong story" cliched story seen in a lot of other things.  Oh well.

So Wesley truly is dead. Damn! I liked that character. I wonder if Fisk will ever find out Jessica... sorry ,Karen did it. I'm guessing not.  And Fisk's GF has recovered basically.  And it turns out Bob Gunton was behind it all.... I figured so much!  Seems like a risky way to send a message to a business partner... 

Matt Dismantling the chinese lady's heroin operation was a decent sequence, kinda odd that she just returns to China to "think about the future".... or did she say she was going beyond China?  Is this some other comic reference I'm not getting?

One more to go!

Daredevil 1x13 Daredevil

Bob Gunton's confession to Fisk seemed like a bad idea....and of course it was!  Why did he think he'd get away with it?  Oh well.  The weakest writing a show or other production can have is when coincidence leads to story progression and that's what happened here;  The whole thing where it turns out that that one cop that worked for Fisk was still alive and willing to confess to everything and that Matt only found him because he happened to be standing outside when the other corrupt cop talked about it on his cell phone was so stupid!  Bah!

The whole capture of all the bad guys and then Fisk was well done, but I didn't like that he escaped custody thanks to more corrupt cops being on his side.  Its another one of those things where they make it seem like the bad guy has unlimited resources which is just getting tiresome.  The whole sequence reminded me too much of The Dark Knight.

I liked the Daredevil costume in action.  The big Fisk/Daredevil fight was OK I guess.  I do think that a fully healthy Matt shouldn't have almost lost to him like he did.  I'm glad he didn't kill him.  Will he be back next season?

So Karen never told the others about killing Wesley; I wonder if it will ever come up again.  Odd that Fisk's men didn't even find like, her hair or something at the scene, but I guess it will never matter now.  The law firm is back open, and Matt is still fighting crime.  Hopefully season 2 features more of their daily lives and lawyers and not so focused on the Daredevil side.

Odd that we didn't see Claire in the finale.  Casing Rosario Dawson still seems to weird to me considering how little screen time she actually got this season.  I wonder if that was always the plan or if something came up.

I didn't think so at all.  Seemed completely natural to me!

Just watched the two Season 2 trailers now that I'm all caught up...  So one part of the season will be Daredevil vs Punisher, and the other will be Daredevil + Elektra teaming up to take down the Yakuza?  Seems alright I guess - the Elektra trailer was way better than the Punisher one (isn't he kind of an outdated character that has never been a big seller and has 3 failed movies starring 3 different actors?)

Looks like Fisk isn't in it at all!  Who wants to bet he's set free  at the end of the season and he's the big bad of season 3?

By the time I finish The Sopranos I won't have enough time to get through House of Cards season 4 before Dare Devil comes out.  I still have Jessica Jones to get through.  Damn.  Too much TV!

I haven't finished Jessica Jones yet either, but I just finished Daredevil S1 and have one more Agent Carter to go plus last night's Better Call Saul... But then on top of House of Cards, Daredevil S2 is soon and GOT 6 is right behind that along with Silicon Valley 3 and Kimmy Schmidt 2... It really never ends!

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Better Call Saul...

Oh crap, I almost forgot that one too!  That's probably up next for me.  Plus I've been meaning to go through Fringe again.  AND Bosch season 2 is coming out in a couple of days.

3 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Oh crap, I almost forgot that one too!  That's probably up next for me.  Plus I've been meaning to go through Fringe again.  AND Bosch season 2 is coming out in a couple of days.

You liked Fringe that much?

I liked it but can't imagine watching it all through again, not for another 10-20 years maybe

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

You liked Fringe that much?

I only watched each episode once when they first aired, so we're going back about 8 years since the beginning of the series (hard to believe it's been that long).  Regardless, I did enjoy it a lot and I own the blu ray set.

A first viewing of Better Call Saul takes precedence over a second viewing of Fringe.  It's fantastic!

Fringe is on the back burner.  I'm going to go through BCS first.  I also believe that season 9 of Doctor Who is coming to Amazon Prime exclusively this month.  I need to polish that off to be completely up-to-date.  After that, probably Jessica Jones, then Bosch, then DD.

Finished the second part of season 1, Jessica Jones. A show so dark and bleak it actually makes Daredevil looks like Full House at times.

After spending the first part of the season carefully holding back Kilgrave, the character finally comes to prominence in the seasons second half, and he's a fantastic villain. Totally without a moral centre, narcissistic, vain, full of himself and totally convinced that he's not really guilty of anything bad. David Tennant plays him with a excellent mixture of cool British suave (using the exact same accent he used for his Doctor Who) and something incredibly odious.

In my mind he's even beaten Daredevil's Kingpin as the most interesting villain in the MCU so far.

Krysten Ritter is also excellent at the title character, using that same sense of ambiguity that her Jane had on Breaking Bad. Vulnerable, seemingly always on the point of a breakdown, yet always with a "fuck off" demeanor. I like how the season slowly unfolds her history. From her early attempts at "super-heroness", her time under the influence of Kilgrave, her early years etc.

The rest of the cast is very good too, especially Carry-Anne Moss as the seemingly totally heartless lawyer. Not that sure about Mike Colter as Luke Cage though. He's OK here. But I don't see why this character needs his own show (of course I thouyght the same about Saul, or Angel...so who knows.)

While the standard of acting, direction, visuals and writers is very high, like Daredevil there are points where the show kinda drags. Or where there are things going on that just seem like potential spin-off material or groundwork for season 2. (the whole business with Trish' cop boyfriend in the last part of the season seems to be either filler, or mystery for S2. Whatever it was it really dragged the pacing down at several points)

Nevertheless this is a really excellent show. And I'll be tuning in for season 2.

There have been 4 TV shows done within the MCU, and I like them all. Daredevil and Jessica Jones especially are able to go places where Marvel seems reluctant to go in their cinematic outings.

I'm halfway through Jessica Jones; Hope to finish sometime soon.  Still have to finish Agent Carter season 2, tonight!

Nothing about Daredevil's score got my attention in any way.  Except maybe the final Matt / Fisk battle cue

Jessica Jones 1x07 AKA Top Shelf Perverts

Well Jessica threatening Hogarth's ex-wife sure backfired as she is now threatening to uncover jury tampering that Hogarth did years ago.  Woops!  Jessica's plan to put herself in prison was a pretty silly one and I'm glad it didn't work.  Poor Ruben, though!  Damn, Kilgrave's a prick!  I don't really understand why Trish's cop boyfriend followed Kilgrave to her old house, but then didn't tell Walker that's where he was?  Jessica actually going through with her plan and severing Ruben's head to get herself arrested was pretty nutso.  It was no surprise that Kilgrave showed up at the station and undid everything. When Jessica finds the journal and shows up at her old house at the end... I wonder what her plan here is?  Guess I'll find out next week!

I liked that one. Jessica loses it essentially and comes up with a desperate plan. But everyone has a plan of their own, Trish, the cop boyfriend, Hogarth, so basically it doesn't go anywhere.

I wondered about the way Kilgrave got himself and Jessica out of the police station by basically using his powers and saying it was all a joke. Isnt his influence supposed to last 10-12 hours only? What happens after that? 

Of course I didn't expect him to order a few dozen cops to just shoot himself.

I think 12 hours later they'd remember that a girl was there with a head but have no proof of anything with the paperwork and video footage gone.  Maybe it will be referenced in a future episode, I dunno.

Jessica Jones 1x08 AKA WWJD?

So the cop boyfriend didn't tell Trish where Kilgrave is cause he wants to blow him up himself?  And he just happened to have a bomb in his car he could place there?  And Kilgrave didn't get staff good enough to prevent someone from sneaking into the basement?  Ok............

So Jessica plays house with Kilgrave for a few days.  Interesting dynamic between them.  Very interesting plot development that they go to a hostage situation together and Jessica shows Kilgrave how he could use his powers for good, and he actually feels good about it.  Interesting development that would be (I'm sure it won't happen).

Loved the little bit where Kilgrave intercepts Hogarth's text to Jessica asking her to get dirt on her ex :P

So, kind of a crazy ending where Jessica actually manages to knock out Kilgrave and gets away, despite the cop boyfriend randomly having an entire team of cops helping him out now.  Kilgrave blows up the nice neighbor lady and possibly him too.  Damn!  I hope Jess has a good explanation for why she doesn't just kill him....

She doesn't want to kill him because she's trying to get Hope out of jail and needs Kilgrave to confess. Thats been her point all along.

I also liked the tense dynamic between Jessica and Kilgrave (not dressed in purple for once).