86th Academy Awards

Sharkissimo

It's been tradition that I watch this every year. Didn't we used to have a chat opened up here on JWFan too?

But unfortunately, there's a good chance I might miss it tonight.

Since the ceremony takes place in the hours of early dawn in our time zone I'll be skipping it.

I'll celebrate the Awards in my dreams, where Howard Shore picks up his second Oscar for the Hobbit films.

As co-orchestrator of Ed Sheeran.

For some reason, I can imagine you in front of the TV, cheering for RotK during the 2004 Oscars (for 2003 films).

Yeah there's nothing specifically interesting to me this year, but I still have to watch. It's the one day of the year that I admit to myself I have a craving for all that Hollywood glitz and glam. It keeps me going.

For some reason, I can imagine you in front of the TV, cheering for RotK during the 2004 Oscars (for 2003 films).

I was in bed due to work commitments but it was the first news story I hastily sought out first thing the following morning. I was delighted, for Jackson and those who took a gamble on him!

I was in bed due to work commitments but it was the first news story I hastily sought out first thing the following morning. I was delighted, for Jackson and those who took a gamble on him!

I remember watching the 2004 ceremony and cheering for every award the RotK got! :)

Makes me wish I was old enough to have cared back then. Must have been quite a time, full of high spirits at the time and for fans.

And RotK tied with Titanic and Ben-Hur for the record right?

I'll be watching

America Hustle is the most over-hyped movie in a long time. I hope it wins nothing. I mean except Jennifer Lawrence but strictly because I'm a fan and not that she deserves it

I remember watching the 2004 ceremony and cheering for every award the RotK got! :)

I can imagine a roomfull of internet geeks with Gandalf avatars watching the 2004 Oscars in high party mode

Like I said, must have been a grand time to be a fan. ;)

AMERICAN HUSTLE's the best of the nominees. I'll be rooting for it.

Really? I thought it was one of the weaker ones.

It won't be going home with much though.

yeah that was the best thing about it - it's almost record breaking clean sweep ;)

I remember some other winner thanking The Return of the King for not getting nomination in their category. That was funny.

Karol

I'm trying to find programs on the Oscars and it's only about Ukraine and that small country it's the first time I hear the name of. Are we on the brink of World War 3?. I hope we can still watch the show tonight

I'm trying to find programs on the Oscars and it's only about Ukraine and that small country it's the first time I hear the name of. Are we on the brink of World War 3

It feels like it. Conveniently just after the Winter Olympics.

I can imagine a roomfull of internet geeks with Gandalf avatars watching the 2004 Oscars in high party mode

:lol:

I'm trying to find programs on the Oscars and it's only about Ukraine and that small country it's the first time I hear the name of. Are we on the brink of World War 3

Oh good, so I wasn't the only one who was thinking along those lines. The way things are playing out, it just seemed all too familiar...

Oh good, so I wasn't the only one who was thinking along those lines. The way things are playing out, it just seemed all too familiar...

Nah, not necessarily. But things are getting worrisome, indeed.

Karol

I stopped staying up for this a few years ago, as I came to realise how political/self-promoting the whole thing is.

Plus I get up earlier these days to combat parking issues at work, so there's no way in hell I'd stay up until 4am.

But I will record the ceremony and watch the awarding of best score.

oops ,so I'm not being my usual paranoid self...now I'm anxious

Maybe we're all paranoid.

oops ,so I'm not being my usual paranoid self...now I'm anxious

Well, aside from whatever the issue might be, things on television and in other media are always blown out of proportion. Every single headline heralds another apocalypse - from politics to simple weather forecast. It usually accomplishes very little beside upsetting and dividing people. Just saying.

Karol

Well we all know how phony it is...it's still a yearly event

I have to admit, I enjoy indulging into the spirit/Holly glam of the affair. Not to mention, I make bets on the winners, and its satisfying to know when I'm right.

Places like that are of minor concern to North Americans I guess, unless you have something escalating there like it is right now. I guess its different for Europeans?

Tend to think of an old Bob Hope joke from around 1942 concerning Crimea.

As for knowing about it, did much of it in my second year at uni though mainly the war. And that was years ago now (uni that is)

I stopped staying up for this a few years ago, as I came to realise how political/self-promoting the whole thing is.

That's one reason why I always watch it. Need to know who to be disgusted with for their political preaching. ;)

Well when i studied geography i was taught Crimea was a peninsula, now it seems it's a region from Ukraine that is more like a sepparated country.

So, it is not very difficult to think not everyone in the world has heard of it.