86th Academy Awards

Sharkissimo

It's funny how earlier in the night for lesser awards, a clip would be shown with each film. Now they are doing major awards like original screenplay and best director, and they have to race through the movie names without showing anything cause the show's running long. If Ellen hadn't wasted time delivering pizza and taking selfies, the films would have more respect shown to them here.

He seems like an affable guy. Still can't get behind the hype though.

He's great. Have you seen his other films btw?

He seems like an affable guy. Still can't get behind the hype though.

He's great. Have you seen his other films btw?

Yep, most. And enjoyed them. This was the first that kind of underwhelmed me.

Cuaron's a great director but without his roller coaster thriller 12 Years would have swept.

Not exactly sure what you're driving at here. Without one film, a different one would have done better? Strange argument, wouldn't you say?

Best Score winner hasn't been about the best score for years and years. It's all related to the Best Picture gong, either giving it to the same film or rewarding a film they're snubbing in a "lesser" category.

Yeah, it's been awhile. John Corigliano's win for The Red Violin nearly a decade and a half ago is probably the last time a score rode its own momentum to victory.

Best Score winner hasn't been about the best score for years and years. It's all related to the Best Picture gong, either giving it to the same film or rewarding a film they're snubbing in a "lesser" category.

Yeah, it's been awhile. John Corigliano's win for The Red Violin nearly a decade and a half ago is probably the last time a score rode its own momentum to victory.

Too many people vote in that category now. It'd be nice if only musical people voted for the Original Score winner

That's why the winner of that category has nothing to do with the quality of the score any more.

Best Actress now.... Cate Blanchett is going to win

YES!

YES!!! Congrats Cate.

Too many people vote in that category now. It'd be nice if only musical people voted for the Original Score winner

Indeed.

Cuaron's a great director but without his roller coaster thriller 12 Years would have swept.

Not exactly sure what you're driving at here. Without one film, a different one would have done better? Strange argument, wouldn't you say?

Not its typical Oscar politics.

Wow glad Cate won. Well deserved.

Indeed. She was one of the wins I was passionately rooting for. Blue Jasmine was a great film, especally thanks to her fantastic performance.

The little clips made me curious about that film with Julia Roberts and Merryll Steep

Those two were powerhouse performances. The film rides on that great cast, and those two really leave you a little out of breath. Her performance in this film is far more deserving of the Oscar than her third win for the Iron Lady.

I would like Leo to win the Best actor Oscar. But it's probably going to be Matthew.

Not its typical Oscar politics.

But 12 years has only lost 2 Oscars to Gravity in the categories both are nominated in (with 1 to go).

Just as I thought. But I really think this was DiCaprio's year. Oh well. McConaughey was great too. What a way to finish off a stellar year for him.

Just as I thought. But I really think this was DiCaprio's year. Oh well. McConaughey was great too. What a way to finish off a stellar year for him.

Yeah I thought it was gonna be between Leo and Ejiofor.

Oh boy didn't know he was a Jesus freak.

LOL Yeah, a bunch of eyebrows were being raised in the room as that part of the speech was being played.

Damn, there have been some long speeches in this ceremony.

Yeah I thought it was gonna be between Leo and Ejiofor.

At this rate, I don't think Leo's going to ever get that Oscar. This was his best chance in years.

And Best PIcture goes to 12 Years A Slave obviously.

Yup, 12 Years won. Well deserved. Great film.

Damn, I forgot Brad Pitt produced this film. Guess that's another Oscar for him too! that's his first Oscar!

Holy shit this is the first time Best Picture and Best Director haven't lined up in years. Not obvious at all KK! Yay!

12 Years winning Best Picture was obvious.

Cuaron winning Best Director, THAT was the real surprise. And well deserved. This is one of those case where Cuaron was more deserving of the Best Director award over the better film of the year.

Ha! Had completely forgot about this! Good thing I re-watched Jungle Book instead of this.

Most of the wins seem fair. Too bad Wolfie didn't get to take any prizes back home, but it was kinda expected...