Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story (2021)

mrbellamy

Interest = 0

I get why Williams had no interest in this either. why would he want to go back to his Fiddler on the roof and Tom Sawyer days of adapting other people's music

13 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

What a waste of everybody's time.

And a bloody waste of Williams' twilight years, when he basically only works for Spielberg and Star Wars. 

Aren't you curious to what other interactions and collaborations could lead to? Did you regret that Williams once worked with Stone? 

It's up there for me too - love this musical.  I also love the idea of having an updated version that will stand up better in my classroom when I show this to kids.  As great as the original film is, it LOOKS dated to their eyes.

On 5/16/2019 at 12:25 AM, Joe Brausam said:

It's up there for me too - love this musical.  I also love the idea of having an updated version that will stand up better in my classroom when I show this to kids.  As great as the original film is, it LOOKS dated to their eyes.

Agreed.  It's my absolute favourite musical, but I'm not a great fan of the film version.  There's lots to improve upon, and I'm confident that they will with this one!

Makes you wonder what David Newman's role even is, if the music is already composed and the sessions are conducted by someone else.

Just tweaking the original compositions to fit the specific timings of the new version?

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

It's naturally suited to his dramatic sensibilities and cinematic style.  Instead they got Tome Hooper, who sucked

I don't think the story of Le Mis is something Spielberg would be drawn to.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

I don't think the story of Le Mis is something Spielberg would be drawn to.

He hasn't done a (live action) French thing yet.  I bet he'd love filming The Battle of the End of Lea Mis (can't remember the exact historical name.  The one with the big barricade (which ended up looking like a pillow fort in the 2012 film))

3 minutes ago, theMaestraX said:

WILL this adapted version become the NON-singing, NON-dancing movie?

Is this a code?  Are you asking for help?  Do one of the British members need to call 999?

On 5/17/2019 at 3:42 PM, Disco Stu said:

What?  David Newman is a fine conductor and I don't see a reason other than "prestige" to not have him conduct his own adaptation.  I mean I like Dudamel of course, I just think it's weird.

FYI, Mike Matessino wrote this on the FSM board:

Gustavo has been involved from the beginning. David is participating with prerecordings and will step in as needed when Gustavo isn't available in postproduction. It might be LA Phil members playing but it's not going to be a huge orchestra, but something closer to the original Broadway instrumentation.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=134251&forumID=1

• 4 weeks later...

So what does this mean for Indiana Jones 5?  They'll work on that in 2021?  Harrison Ford will be almost 80 and JW 90.  :blink:  I fall in to the "why are they doing this?" camp.  The 1961 version was perfect and absolutely captures the transition from the squeaky clean 50's to the turbulent 60's.

Looks like Failure to me. Failure on a grands scale.

5 minutes ago, karelm said:

So what does this mean for Indiana Jones 5?  They'll work on that in 2021?  Harrison Ford will be almost 80 and JW 90.  :blink:  I fall in to the "why are they doing this?" camp.  The 1961 version was perfect and absolutely captures the transition from the squeaky clean 50's to the turbulent 60's.

Spielberg will finish making this film this year; Disney is just choosing not to release it until next year