Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story (2021)

mrbellamy

I don't worry about it financially. I just hold West Side Story as a masterpiece and I only see SS coming in way short. I applaud his ballsy-ness.

1 hour ago, Dieter Stark said:

Natalie Wood wasn't remotely believable as a Puerto Rican chick. She had small boobs and a narrow figure.

Grace Kelly had something Natalie Woods needed badly

12 hours ago, Richard said:

Hmm. Diggin' that late 50s/early 60s vibe...in glorious HD :lol:

I wonder if this is going to be sort of like a Julie Taymor "Titus" stylized version of the "no specific time" or if they are going to place it in the 50's and 60's making it a period piece?  I thought the whole point was to modernize it (though it was itself a modernized version of Romeo and Juliette hence can be constantly modernized)?  :unsure:

Spielberg is generally a pretty scrupulous film-maker. His period recreation always seems appropriate and never overtly stylized.

So this too will I am sure have his usual elegance and stateliness.

But the cinematography looks a bit dull almost sepia. 

I am hoping for some tracking shots and long takes. I really want Spielberg to show off here what he can do as a director since it is a relatively safe project. We all know it will be good and well-reviewed and commercially successful.

5 hours ago, Alex said:

Very beige

It's just a warm faded colors look. The final product will most likely be different. 

7 hours ago, karelm said:

I wonder if this is going to be sort of like a Julie Taymor "Titus" stylized version of the "no specific time" or if they are going to place it in the 50's and 60's making it a period piece?  I thought the whole point was to modernize it (though it was itself a modernized version of Romeo and Juliette hence can be constantly modernized)?  :unsure:

Looking at the costumes and background, it definitely doesn't look present-day.  'Modernize' might refer to the style of acting and filmmaking.

It'll be like Jesus Christ Superstar: a bunch of hipsters go out to an abandoned warehouse to reenact the past and sacrifice a person or two!

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

What abandoned warehouse?! 

7945_5.jpg

22 hours ago, Romão said:

faxkmj2l6w431.jpg

18 hours ago, publicist said:

Will this be set in the late 60's?

50's

C. Thomas Howell's kid looks just like his dad

12 hours ago, Alex said:

Very beige

The DP is know for his fear of real color. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I’m not optimistic that it’ll be a great movie but I’m excited to see how he stages some of this stuff on a song-by-song basis.

Although I keep forgetting Tony Kushner did the adaptation. It could actually be interesting.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"Righting wrongs"? What "wrongs" were these, pray tell, Ms. Moreno?

Let's see, it's 2020, and a journalist... casting people for their talent and personality instead of their exact nationality maybe?

31 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I know the instinct is to roll our eyes at over-sensitivity to social issues in the media, but I have to agree that hiring white people and painting their faces brown for the original movie isn't the best.  It's just something you tolerate in those old movies because you see how great everything else is.

Anyway, it's pretty undeniable that a lot of Puerto Ricans weren't happy with how they were portrayed in that movie.  I think it's great that Spielberg took that head-on instead of just trying to avoid it.

I have zero interest in this film, but agree with this.