Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story (2021)

mrbellamy

• 3 months later...

This sounds like opportunistic attention seeking to me, from a girl who knew exactly what she was doing when she "direct messaged" the guy all those young, dumb n horny years ago. If the film doesn't release till Xmas and this story doesn't blow up (a quick google of the search term "West Side Story" returned 0 results in relation to this story), nothing will change.

"Movie might be cancelled" lol get a friggin' grip ya rampant twitterwhore.

It's been a few hours. Wait for the full reaction. If it is proven.. do you think Disney will release a film with a sexual assaulter as the lead star and face of the movie? I think not.

I would say the movie is very much in jeopardy. Imagine this, shows got cancelled not because the stars had done anything but because the occupation of the fictional characters in the show was problematic. 

This is much more concrete. If George Washington can get cancelled, nothing and no one is safe.

Meh, it's just as likely more woke witchhunt bollocks. https://www.newsweek.com/ansel-elgort-getting-canceled-twitter-heres-everything-we-know-1512150

As if they'd cancel an entire near complete multi-million dollar film production over this. Elgort is hardly Kevin Spacey, is he.

8 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

If it is proven..

How dafuq exactly do you propose this will be achieved?

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It's been a few hours. Wait for the full reaction. If it is proven.. do you think Disney will release a film with a sexual assaulter as the lead star and face of the movie? I think not.

I would say the movie is very much in jeopardy. Imagine this, shows got cancelled not because the stars had done anything but because the occupation of the fictional characters in the show was problematic. 

This is much more concrete. If George Washington can get cancelled, nothing and no one is safe.

Oh no, the new almost-completed Steven Spielberg film is going to be cancelled!  Spielberg, one of the most influential directors of all time, would have no say in this (not that he would mind :))

Hmm, not sure how Disney will approach this. I can't imagine the film will be cancelled (in all likelihood it was finished months ago), but you'd need to reshoot practically the whole film to replace him (downright impossible with COVID-19) so that's not an option either. I guess they'll just wait for due process to take place but I wouldn't be surprised if they delayed the film until next year.

Looking at it from an industry perspective, it's probably a cautionary tale of why you shouldn't sit on a completed film for a year.

• 3 months later...

“West Side Story,” which marks Spielberg’s first foray into musicals, was expected to be a key Academy Awards contender. An awards career may still be in its future, but not at this year’s Oscars. “West Side Story” will launch a year later than expected, on Dec. 10, 2021 instead of Dec. 18, 2020.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/black-widow-west-side-story-eternals-release-date-delay-1234773491/

Yikes! A year is indeed a considerable postponement, especially because I feel like I've heard about this project for years already. Oh well. I hope he gets to do something else in the meantime, then.

It was filmed from July-September 2019

Most Spielberg movies are out in theaters 3-6 months after they are done filming

Disney very likely picked the Dec 2020 release date for Oscar reasons

Spielberg has probably had the film in the can since March

Eh, he's 73, there's another covid surge coming, filming won't be allowed in a lot of spots in the US.  Doesn't seem likely.

On 6/20/2020 at 5:23 AM, crumbs said:

Hmm, not sure how Disney will approach this. I can't imagine the film will be cancelled (in all likelihood it was finished months ago), but you'd need to reshoot practically the whole film to replace him

One word: Deepfake.

10 minutes ago, Gurkensalat said:

As I wrote in another thread: Tintin 2 would be the ideal movie to do now with all the Mocap in controlled environments. I don‘t care if Jackson or Spielberg is director, just do the movie now, so Williams can start writing music!

My thoughts exactly.

• 7 months later...

I'm mildly curious because it's probably going to be more visually and musically driven than let's say Lincoln. Hopefully it will be a somewhat artistic and less conventional musical like Taymor's Across The Universe or Burton's Sweeney Todd. 

2 minutes ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

I'm glad I'm me.

You can have you.

5 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I'm mildly curious because it's probably going to be more visually and musically driven than let's say Lincoln. Hopefully it will be a somewhat artistic and less conventional musical like Taymor's Across The Universe or Burton's Sweeney Todd. 

I hope he didn't shoot in Super35 again!😵

I'm probably more curious about this than I have been of the last handful of Spielberg efforts, but I'm still coming at it from a "they remade Jaws?" perspective, but then again I can see why an updated version might find relevance. But it still just feels like a really bad time to release anything theatrically, so I wouldn't like to fancy its chances of making decent money.