Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story (2021)

mrbellamy

Just saw the trailer during the Oscar telecast... Doesn't show much. No dialogue and no footage of the songs being sung

Oh, it's on YouTube already 

Reading reactions on twitter and my god does Spielberg have a PR nightmare on his hands. People are slamming Elgort left and right.

I think the best strategy would be to no use the actors in the promotion of the movie - which is a crying shame because of the USPs of the film is the diversity in the cast. But when the leading man is a PR liability, I wonder if they can get the other cast members out without raising uncomfortable questions. 

This looks good obviously - could be anything else if Spielberg directed it? I think in normal times this would have been a superhit, critically acclaimed and been nominated for a bunch of oscars.

Much of that might still happen. But the movie definitely has a liability on its hands.

7 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

which is a crying shame because of the USPs of the film is the diversity in the cast

USPs? 

I liked that crane shot of the two gangs approaching each other from the sides, with the long shadows. 

Literally nothing else from the trailer stood out on first watch for me

You know what though? I honestly can't help but be a little excited for a new Spielberg film coming out (of course I'm way more excited for his next one) 

36 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Reading reactions on twitter

While I do find the allegations against Elgort problematic at best, to be fair, Twitter will make up things to be mad about so of course Twitter will react that way. But yeah. Really unfortunate for the film and the rest of the cast and crew, not to mention the people allegedly harmed by Elgort. 

I will say, I keep seeing people saying that it's not too late to recast him...it really is. These people have no idea how film productions work and how much it would cost to basically remake the entire film. This isn't the case with the film Christopher Plummer was in. He wasn't in nearly every scene as far as I'm aware. It's simply cheaper to put it out as is and face the backlash or to cut their losses and cancel the film altogether. 

31 minutes ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

I think he was accused of something. Which these days means he really did what he was accused of, and has no right to defend himself.

On Twitter, yeah, it does. I still personally think there is a reason to believe victims first in these situations in general, but of course things should still be properly figured out through the proper channels and not via Twitter.

Since, everyone seems to either not know or not want to say what the situation with him is, here's the short version:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/06/ansel-elgort-allegations-statement

Apparently other stuff has come out since, but I don't know for sure. I'm not on Twitter and have absolutely no interest in being on Twitter.

28 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

So this year's best musical will be Lin Manuel-Miranda's In the Heights? Its trailer is so good that even I who is not a fan of musicals now want to watch it. 

I'm quite excited about that as well. Looks awesome.

As far as the trailer for West Side Story. Yeah, it's an underwhelming trailer. I can't help but feel they're conveniently cutting away as quick as they can from most of the close-up shots of Elgort where he's the focus. Lol.

But it does look well-shot and has a vibe that should be cool. It's Spielberg. I'm sure it'll be great.

I don't really want to.know what Eggspory did.

I don't even know who he is.

Got my own probs.

45 minutes ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

If someone said you groped them, how would you feel.

Depends if they groped me back!

😝😜😛😳😅

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Reading reactions on twitter and my god does Spielberg have a PR nightmare on his hands. People are slamming Elgort left and right.

I think the best strategy would be to no use the actors in the promotion of the movie - which is a crying shame because of the USPs of the film is the diversity in the cast. But when the leading man is a PR liability, I wonder if they can get the other cast members out without raising uncomfortable questions. 

This looks good obviously - could be anything else if Spielberg directed it? I think in normal times this would have been a superhit, critically acclaimed and been nominated for a bunch of oscars.

Much of that might still happen. But the movie definitely has a liability on its hands.

I agree this looks good. But I disagree with the notion that Spielberg films always look good. The last time a Spielberg film impressed me first glance was War of the Worlds in 2005. Don't even get me started on The BFG. 

Just now, Mephariel said:

I agree this looks good. But I disagree with the notion that Spielberg films always look good. The last time a Spielberg film impressed me first glance was War of the Worlds in 2005. Don't even get me started on The BFG. 

I actually meant that if Spielberg directs it will be good, not that it will look good. My mistake.

11 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I actually meant that if Spielberg directs it will be good, not that it will look good. My mistake.

Good...maybe? The question is, is it is going to be great? I remember there was a time when every time Spielberg made a film, it was an anticipated event for me. Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, A.I., Minority Report...now I am expected Ron Howard quality at best. 

I thought the opening (up till Spielberg’s name pops up) of this trailer looked quite handsome and even managed to get me somewhat excited.

Once the dancing all kicked in, I was less taken with it.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I liked that crane shot of the two gangs approaching each other from the sides, with the long shadows. 

Fantastic shot indeed.

But I'm afraid the movie will be too much about pleasing the musical fans.

1 hour ago, KK said:

Once the dancing all kicked in, I was less taken with it.

Exactly!

That shot at 0:53 kinda looks like Saving Private Ryan. He and Janusz always have a weird mix of tones. They're definitely a pair, love it or hate it.

Not convinced this will be anything vital but I'm sure it'll be good for some brilliantly executed shots at least, like every Spielberg movie. And Tony Kushner is bound to have some semi-interesting take on it.

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

So this year's best musical will be Lin Manuel-Miranda's In the Heights? Its trailer is so good that even I who is not a fan of musicals now want to watch it. 

As I mentioned earlier, I’ll be interested to compare them but having been lucky enough to watch In the Heights over the weekend, I thought it was superb and I’ll honestly be amazed if West Side Story tops it. I can’t help feel a remake of West Side Story is less worthwhile than a brilliant film adaptation of a great contemporary musical. I can’t believe it cost to make West Side Story... In the Heights cost only half that. And it had a better poster which makes sense ;-)

According to IMDB it's shot anamorphic.

Phew!

Hopefully SS will learn from the.mistakes of Lumet, Marshall a

et al. and display full body dancing.

I think WSS is ripe for a new, more raw, better cast version.

All you Negative Nancies can stay far away😡

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm surprised they didn't reshoot the film with a new male lead. I guess Christopher Plummer wasn't available.

You just love stealing my.jokes. Don't you?😠

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Oh man, I hate that trailerized take on the music.

I'm surprised they didn't reshoot the film with a new male lead. I guess Christopher Plummer wasn't available.

He's dead.

Of course, it's just a teaser, but it feels like Spielberg simply remade the original film (with contemporary visuals) while not offering much new. I wonder what would be the point of that? Do we really need two similar versions?

3 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Of course, it's just a teaser, but it feels like Spielberg simply remade the original film (with contemporary visuals) while not offering much new. I wonder what would be the point of that? Do we really need two similar versions?

You can say that from a short teaser?

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You can say that from a short teaser?

Like I said, it's what I get from the teaser. Perhaps you think the movie will be nothing like the teaser? I doubt it.

Snyder made it very clear from the start that his JL is very different from the other one. OTOH, Spielberg seems to want to make it clear that the fans of the classic movie have nothing to worry about and that he's not going to alienate them from their beloved musical.  

I feel like I already seen it.