Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story (2021)

mrbellamy

8 hours ago, Bespin said:

MARIAAAAAAAAAAAAA! MARIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I loved that as a kid. That and America ... Which kid didn't, eh? Maybe it's because of my mother, she was a huge fan of the movie and the music, she even had the classical version with Kiri Te Kanawa and José Carreras (which I did not like).

But the trailer doesn't scream 'personal stamp' to me, or at least, not an interesting stamp, nor am I eager to hear the songs again. Enough is enough ... 

I just realized this project was first announced in 2014! Some funny posts on page 1 here 

On 05/03/2014 at 5:26 PM, Thor said:

This won't happen, I'm sure of it.

But Williams is a master arranger, so I'm sure he would have done a fine job with Bernstein's material.

22 hours ago, crumbs said:

Montezuma was the last project I was genuinely excited about Spielberg doing. Naturally he abandoned it (wasn't Zaillian writing the script? What a waste!) 

The guy hasn't challenged himself since Munich. That was his last truly great film. I can appreciate the technical mastery of the films that followed but Munich was the last time it felt like he had something meaningful to say.

Clearly the personal blowback he got for that film hurt him because he's refused to leave his comfort zone ever since. Other than War Horse, has he even left the US to shoot a movie since 2005?

I absolutely agree. After all, Spielberg is kind of a coward. He could just do whatever he wants at this point in his career. So what is holding him back? Not to be able to make a living due to a financial and critical backlash? Come on.

12 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I absolutely agree. After all, Spielberg is kind of a coward. He could just do whatever he wants at this point in his career. So what is holding him back? Not to be able to make a living due to a financial and critical backlash? Come on.

Maybe he just wasn't feeling those projects?

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

He could be carving out an interesting new direction as a filmmaker, in the same way Scorsese has. He already evolved his approach in the 80s with his move towards serious dramatic works, but he's stuck in this rut of alternating between mediocre "popcorn" movies and Hallmark Channel-esque procedural dramas.

He's really embraced Grandpa-Spielberg. He's surprisingly risk-averse for a guy with enough money to fund basically any project he could conceive. His films are still technically competent of course, but feel a bit soulless these days.

On reflection, Shia was probably right with his comments after KOCS. Spielberg is less a filmmaker than he is a businessman now; a well-oiled conveyor belt with less of the art and improvisation that defined his earlier success.

The more I've seen of Mangold's Indy, the happier I am that Spielberg walked away and handed the series to someone with more passion for the subject matter.

28 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I believe, that nothing is holding him back and he is exactly doing what he wants.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Perhaps it is Crumbs who is stuck in a rut and should carve out an interesting new direction (preferably out of this thread).

What's with the rude comment?

Am I not allowed to express my opinion here? I'm not insulting the guy, just posting my thoughts about his career over the last two decades (in the thread for his latest movie, which seems a logical place to discuss such a topic).

At least I'm not insulting anyone with a different opinion.

Differences of opinion are welcome on JWFan, and the opinions being shared here are certainly relevant to the thread they're in.

Personal attacks are not allowed under the rules.

Just clicked into this thread for the first time in a while, saw the trailer, and my eyes glazed over a bit reading the rest.  My opinions:  trailer looks pretty good, The Fabelmans is still a dumb as shit name for a movie, and those of you who generally don’t enjoy musicals need to let joy and love wash over your hearts!!

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've tried watching musicals, over and over again, seen probably 10-20 of them.  They're just not for me.  And that's fine.

10 minutes ago, mstrox said:

...those of you who generally don’t enjoy musicals need to let joy and love wash over your hearts!!

See, Jay? Yes, yes, to mstrox, you listen!

• 4 weeks later...

Spielberg appears in this new video talking about the movie, and there's a shot of Dudamel conducting, and you can hear "America"

also you can see the film has been rated pg13 for "some strong violence, strong language, thematic content, suggestive material, and brief smoking"

I had no idea what the MPAA meant by "thematic content", turns out there's a wikipedia page for it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thematic_elements

I'm quite excited for this.

I'm really looking forward so a high quality recording of Bernstein's music.

Guess it's a long shot to hope for and album with instrumental versions of the songs.

Still think studios should release songs instrumental albums more often

4 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Guess it's a long shot to hope for and album with instrumental versions of the songs.

Still think studios should release songs instrumental albums more often

But that's not what was written. You'd have to rearrange the songs to work as non-songs. And to an extend Bernstein did that, there are plenty recordings of his Dances from West Side Story.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's already many high quality recordings of this music.

Really, many? Of the musical?

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But that's not what was written. You'd have to rearrange the songs to work as non-songs. And to an extend Bernstein did that, there are plenty recordings of his Dances from West Side Story.

Unless I'm understanding wrongly, people wanting instrumental versions are not wanting some version with the vocals replaced by something else, but versions that are literally the same recording but with the vocals removed. I'd love to hear them more often.

I think the demand shown in the various Disney Legacy threads shows the demand, come to think of it. The Toy Story songs work really well with Newman's vocals removed - a testament to his orchestrations.

21 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Unless I'm understanding wrongly, people wanting instrumental versions are not wanting some version with the vocals replaced by something else, but versions that are literally the same recording but with the vocals removed. I'd love to hear them more often.

We have that on the Home Alone 2 expansion. It doesn't work. It's an interesting behind the scenes look at the instrumental part of the composition, but the orchestration gets thinner whenever the choir comes in, so the most prominent parts are strangely underpowered in the "instrumental" (rather: voice-less) edit. It's a testament to Williams' orchestrations that they treat the choir as part of a whole, and don't just paste it over a self-contained orchestral arrangement.

The issue of it being thinner when the choir comes in, I don't see as an issue at all actually. As you say, it's a window into the composition process.

Either way, everyone wins if they're included, and individuals don't listen to the ones they don't like.

On 23/09/2021 at 6:04 AM, Jay said:

I've tried watching musicals, over and over again, seen probably 10-20 of them.  They're just not for me.  And that's fine.

Then do I have the musical for YOU! It's essentially Invasion of the Body Snatchers as a musical comedy. But it's also a musical about a guy who doesn't like musicals! Because, it is called:

There's actually two new posters, they form a pair:

FCttPVVUUAsBbmI?format=jpg&name=4096x409 FCttPVUUYAYx_FA?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Also, if anybody remembers the discussion about the old poster and how it only listed 7 producers, Spielberg, Kushner, and all the guys responsible for the original musical, this one adds a ton of new credits.  Elgort gets top billing, with Zegler getting the "and introducing" credit - crazy to think she was 16 when Spielberg cast her, and 20 now

But what's really bizarre to me is that David Newman isn't credited at all for his new arrangements of the underscore, only Dudamel gets a credit for conducting.  Do the producers of this movie think Dudamel has more marketing value than Newman?

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

But what's really bizarre to me is that David Newman isn't credited at all for her new arrangements of the underscore

Has David Newman transitioned now?

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

But what's really bizarre to me is that David Newman isn't credited at all for his new arrangements of the underscore, only Dudamel gets a credit for conducting.  Do the producers of this movie think Dudamel has more marketing value than Newman?

From memory Williams usually gets top billing after the cast on Spielberg posters, so I guess Dudamel takes his spot.

Still, that sucks for Newman. I'm sure all this stuff is negotiated in advance but surely the arranger should be credited in addition to the conductor? Newman's workload would be so much more significant than Dudamel's on this project, surely?

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Didn't Spielberg want to stay close to the original musical arrangements?

The songs are certainly going to be the same arrangements as always, but the earlier reports was that David Newman was adapting the melodies of those songs for underscore cues to go between the songs, like what Williams did (and won an Oscar for), for Fiddler on the Roof

11 minutes ago, Kühni said:

Why's Bernstein credited twice? Double the royalties?

It's one credit for writing the music that's in this movie, and another credit for writing the music for the original play that the movie is based on