Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story (2021)

mrbellamy

This is why I want to see this. Speilberg has filmed a part of the famous gym dance sequence in  a single long take.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/west-side-story-steven-spielberg-on-restaging-an-iconic-sequence-in-a-very-hard-oner-exclusive-image/

----------------

Also this was released - genuine actual music from the score - not trailers.

Do we think it sounds like a small 20 piece Broadway pit orchestra?

For what its worth - this sounds like a beautifully played and very energetic recording.

Watch 'Something's Coming: West Side Story' Sunday, December 5 on ABC

Watch 'Something's Coming: West Side Story' Sunday, December 5 on ABC

ABC News presents a one-hour primetime event that goes behind-the-scenes of the upcoming film adaptation of "West Side Story" and features a new interview with director Steven Spielberg. Spielberg reflects on his fascination with the "West Side Story" original Broadway cast recording growing up and how it helped inspire his filmmaking career, his hesitancy to make a musical until now, the relevance of the movie's themes in today's world, and how he's adapting the iconic musical for the next generation. "Something's Coming: West Side Story" includes interviews with Ansel Elgort, Rachel Zegler, and Ariana DeBose, stars of the upcoming film; Rita Moreno, who opens up about her Oscar-winning role as Anita in the 1961 version and her role in the new film written especially for her; Chita Rivera, who first played the role of Anita on Broadway; Stephen Sondheim, legendary lyricist who wrote the lyrics for the original Broadway musical; Tony-award winning Tony Kushner, who wrote the screenplay; Cindy Tolan, the film's casting director on selecting rising stars for the iconic roles; and Puerto Rican historians that consulted on the film. "Something's Coming: West Side Story – A Special Edition of 20/20" airs Sunday, Dec. 5 (7:00 – 8:00 p.m. EST), on ABC.

https://abc.com/news/insider/watch-somethings-coming-west-side-story-on-abc-the-abc-app-hulu

The promo for this is coming on strong

It is a big investment. I think they maybe hoping to make bank or be gunning for oscars.

Both are quite possible if the movie is any good and is able to stand outside the shadow of the original.

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The promo for this is coming on strong

It is a big investment. I think they maybe hoping to make bank or be gunning for oscars.

Both are quite possible if the movie is any good and is able to stand outside the shadow of the original.

I love how Rachel Ziegler's voice is just as operatic as it should be. Not modernized "Dua Lipa/ Emma Watson" kind of treatment of the vocal character. The orchestra sounds top notch

On 23/11/2021 at 10:56 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

This is why I want to see this. Speilberg has filmed a part of the famous gym dance sequence in  a single long take.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/west-side-story-steven-spielberg-on-restaging-an-iconic-sequence-in-a-very-hard-oner-exclusive-image/

----------------

Also this was released - genuine actual music from the score - not trailers.

Do we think it sounds like a small 20 piece Broadway pit orchestra?

For what its worth - this sounds like a beautifully played and very energetic recording.

That sure is West Side Story.

That's probably made me more excited to see it than anything else, just to hear the crowd cheering like that for "America," Bernstein blasting over the theater speakers so enthusiastically. It really is the best.

Some early reactions coming in, generally positive, the most interesting to note is that apparently a substantial amount of this movie's dialogue is in Spanish without subtitles. 40% is an estimate I've seen cited multiple times. So that's a choice. 

It's probably to highlight the divisions in the story. If the Jets don't need subtitling, nobody does. Could see Spielberg's point being to put English-speaking audiences in a position where they don't understand what Maria, Anita, the Sharks are saying at times either, so it's about experiencing that language barrier and needing to look past it. 

That seems to be a bizarre and baffling choice. Correct me if I am wrong but does Spielberg speak Spanish?

I am multi-lingual. Can give or take speak 4 languages including reading/writing. Just that one of them is not Spanish.

These seem to be premiere screenings. Let's see if commercial screenings have subtitles. I am sure people will complain. This is supposed to be a holiday blockbuster. 

Maybe I’m just thinking of the Indy films and Schindler’s List…or saving private Ryan…or Munich(?) or Bridge of Spies.. But I don’t think Spielberg has ever used subtitles when characters aren’t speaking English. I could be wrong though.

(Mayyybe in Amistad at one point??)

This will definitely be the most extreme example. Neat way of building tension. Very cool.

I just saw the trailer for Québec, we have a VFQ (french version from Québec), they left the songs in english (with french subtitles), they just dubbed the dialogues. Nice.

In France, they have their own VFF, and same thing, they've left the songs in english.... Like they did for the 1961 version.

VFQ:

https://m-partners.facebook.com/watch/?v=283240026640514&_rdr

VFF:

1 hour ago, WampaRat said:

Maybe I’m just thinking of the Indy films and Schindler’s List…or saving private Ryan…or Munich(?) or Bridge of Spies.. But I don’t think Spielberg has ever used subtitles when characters aren’t speaking English. I could be wrong though.

(Mayyybe in Amistad at one point??)

This will definitely be the most extreme example. Neat way of building tension. Very cool.

I think those are bad examples but he clearly cheated in those films. He had English when there should have been none.

Schindler's List should have been in German and Polish and Hebrew all the way through. Also Bridge of Spies. Also Munich. 

So he DID make a convention to movie participation and render the dialog in spoken English.

So rendering Spanish dialog in subtitled English is less of a bridge to cross.

So suddenly Spielberg does not care about audience participation?

You seem very ready to say that if the movie does not subtitle the Spanish dialogue that it means Spielberg "doesn't care about audience participation," whatever that means, and I'm saying if he's not subtitling the Spanish dialogue it's a creative choice that you should see play out in the film itself before leaping to a conclusion like that.

I was explicitly respond to a particular post which presented previous treatments of non-english languages in other Spielberg films. I commented upon a completely different stance he seemed to be adopting compared to his prior films. 

There are particular scenes throughout his filmography where Spielberg forgoes subtitles or accented English when the point is characters speaking different languages are finding it difficult to relate or communicate with each other. This is a story where that's the entire conflict. 

In some of the sneak previews, they've shown Maria at home with Anita and Bernardo and they're all speaking English, even though they'd obviously be speaking Spanish to each other:

Whereas at the beginning of this preview, Anita calls out to Javi in Spanish, and it's not subtitled (just a promo, but still a possible example):

A lot of times a movie will have a character exclaim something in their native language for some "color" and then revert back to English, but I'm guessing that won't be the case here and that scenes like this where they're interacting with the Jets or sharing the same space will have them speaking freely in Spanish. 

Spielberg caters to English-speaking audience members because that's his POV, so I imagine in various instances through the movie, his idea is that if somebody who doesn't speak Spanish is lost, then he's involving them in experiencing the barriers between the two cultures. Knowing Spielberg, it seems like it would be a device to increase audience participation like always.

Also while looking those up, I noticed the first official clip is up:

31 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

There are particular scenes throughout his filmography where Spielberg forgoes subtitles or accented English when the point is characters speaking different languages are finding it difficult to relate or communicate with each other. This is a story where that's the entire conflict. 

In some of the sneak previews, they've shown Maria at home with Anita and Bernardo and they're all speaking English, even though they'd obviously be speaking Spanish to each other:

Whereas at the beginning of this preview, Anita calls out to Javi in Spanish, and it's not subtitled (just a promo, but still a possible example):

A lot of times a movie will have a character exclaim something in their native language for some "color" and then revert back to English, but I'm guessing that won't be the case here and that scenes like this where they're interacting with the Jets or sharing the same space will have them speaking freely in Spanish. 

Spielberg caters to English-speaking audience members because that's his POV, so I imagine in various instances through the movie, his idea is that if somebody who doesn't speak Spanish is lost, then he's involving them in experiencing the barriers between the two cultures. Knowing Spielberg, it seems like it would be a device to increase audience participation like always.

Also while looking those up, I noticed the first official clip is up:

Supposing there's a very long scene between Maria and her family. If that conversation is not subtitled and there are no non-Spanish-speaking characters present in the scene then it does not advance  the theme of language barriers between characters. It only advances the theme of language barriers between audiences. 

---

This isn't new. We all watch plenty of films not in our native language. Hell English isn't my native language. As long as movies have been made, people speaking different languages have watched movies in different languages.

Why is now the time to suddenly make it a political statement is baffling to me.

It's a fact - many people in the US can't speak Spanish. What about it? They should be ashamed or something?

There are many English language speakers who watch all movies and shows period on streaming with subtitles on. What about them. Closed captions are offered in theaters for hard of hearing etc.

Again, maybe it is a political choice but I find it strange to make one for such a benign issue. Yes we all speak a limited number of languages. Tough shit. 

1 minute ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Supposing there's a very long scene between Maria and her family. If that conversation is not subtitled and there are no non-Spanish-speaking characters present in the scene then it does not advance  the theme of language barriers between characters. It only advances the theme of language barriers between audiences. 

Literally posted a clip that indicates scenes between Maria and her family are going to be in English.

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Literally posted a clip that indicates scenes between Maria and her family are going to be in English.

Then that's weird right. It would be more realistic to show they speaking Spanish wouldn't it.

Anyways lets wait till we watch the movie to litigate. I have a feeling the 40% of the movie is unsubtitled Spanish might be exaggerated. 

Spielberg words on this, in an article i read in a spanish newspaper.

https://amp.elmundo.es/cultura/cine/2021/12/01/61a6dca7fdddff19738b45dc.html

i ll translate his words later, but it must be taken from an english news so it must be out there.

Steven Spielberg explicó este martes que tomó personalmente la decisión de incluir diálogos en español sin subtitular en la nueva "West Side Story" por "respeto" a la realidad de la comunidad latina en Estados Unidos.

Steven Spielberg explained this Tuesday that he personally took the decission of including dialogue in Spanish without subtitles in the new "West Side Story" out for "respect" to the reality of the Latino community in the United States.

"No subtitulé los diálogos en español por una cuestión de respeto y por reconocer un contexto en el que se hablan los dos idiomas", detalló el cineasta en una rueda de prensa celebrada este martes tras la "premiere" de la película celebrada en Nueva York.

"I didn't subtitled the dialogue in Spanish as a matter of respect and to acknowledge the context in where both languages are spoken" detailed the filmmaker in a press round that took place after the premiere of the film in New York.

17 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Exactly. The collapse of verbal communication and the importance of non-verbal communication is one of Spielberg's foremost 'auteur' trademarks.

I'm seeing the film tomorrow (terrible snow conditions be damned!), and look forward to see both this and hopefully other Spielberg traits on display -- even if my interest in WEST SIDE STORY and musicals is limited.

So first two junkets and the lead star is not included. He attended the premiere. So dunno what's up. Maybe he was unavailable. But this is the biggest moment of his life. So you would imagine he would promote the living hell out of this movie.

After the movie was filmed, he was accused of sexual assault.

1E798E69-7F80-44FB-B538-025BA61D0D3C.jpeg

If I had to guess, Disney is keeping him out of situations where reporters can ask him questions.

(They, of course, could also exercise control of the junket footage - but excluding him entirely is a bit less fascistic).

My Sister and Nieces are seeing it Dec 9th. at 7.  Really looking forward to it.

Somehow, someday, somewhere...

God I got goosebumps.

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I have no problem with Spanish because it's pretty close to Portuguese, so I can kinda understand what they're saying.

¡Bien ahí, che! 

Here's Steven Spielberg's 11 minute introduction to the film, recorded 4 nights ago on Monday at the Lincoln Center in Manhattan

He really doesn't look, talk, or act like a 74 year old man at all!  Though, he's clearly wearing a hair piece now, right?

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

He really doesn't look, talk, or act like a 74 year old man at all!  Though, he's clearly wearing a hair piece now, right?

So, this is the "This is awesome!" of WSS, is it? ;).

Liking the grey/white/brown ensemble.

Hairpiece? Not sure, but I'm going to go with "no". It's probably a Scargill *

* a Scargill was a type of combeover, favoured by the famous (or, perhaps, infamous) union leader Arthur Scargill, in the UK, in the 70s, and 80s.