Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story (2021)

mrbellamy

42 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Thor, did they sub your spanish scenes?

No. Although a few of the sentences were subbed in Spanish. Wasn't much of a problem, though. Sometimes, the characters repeat the sentence in English, othertimes you understand it based on context. It's very much part of Spielberg's interest in verbal communication difficulties; or rather interest in non-verbal communication.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

As someone who really doesn't like musicals (unless they're animated), I really tried to give it my best -- especially because Spielberg is my favourite director -- but I found myself bored and thinking about what I should have for dinner for a lot of it.

About what i expected. It's called a folly. Which wouldn't be so bad if he had at least remaked not a cultural icon but a movie that wasn't that great to begin with (truth to be told, i don't like a single musical that isn't 'Cabaret', 'Singin in the Rain' or 'The Band Wagon').

5 minutes ago, publicist said:

About what i expected. It's called a folly. Which wouldn't be so bad if he had at least remaked not a cultural icon but a movie that wasn't that great to begin with (truth to be told, i don't like a single musical that isn't 'Cabaret', 'Singin in the Rain' or 'The Band Wagon').

In general, remaking West Side Story ist a good idea. Great music, but the old movie looks to me just like just somebody filmed the stage performance without audience. Not really using the possibilities of a movie.

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

In general, remaking West Side Story ist a good idea. 

You think? It's very much of its time and i don't see much in it that's crying out 'update me!'. Especially since the songs and the music are also not particularly au courant. It's a great piece of work, for sure, but in the same vein you could ask 'why isn't South Pacific or Guys and Dolls getting a remake?'

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

In general, remaking West Side Story ist a good idea. Great music, but the old movie looks to me just like just somebody filmed the stage performance without audience. Not really using the possibilities of a movie.

I agree. I love the musical, but the old movie is very difficult to watch. Its major legacy will be the revision of the song “America.”

1 hour ago, publicist said:

You think? It's very much of its time and i don't see much in it that's crying out 'update me!'. Especially since the songs and the music are also not particularly au courant. It's a great piece of work, for sure, but in the same vein you could ask 'why isn't South Pacific or Guys and Dolls getting a remake?'

Still the old movie, I saw it just once, looked particularly outdated. But I saw it as second part of a musical double feature with Moulin Rouge. And in company with that one almost all musicals might look pale.

8 hours ago, publicist said:

in the same vein you could ask 'why isn't South Pacific or Guys and Dolls getting a remake?'

They did that utterly inexcusable South Pacific remake with a 54-year-old Glenn Close in the role of Nellie.

For what it's worth, Filmfreakcentral loves it:

West Side Story is the perfect vehicle for all of Spielberg's prodigious strengths while deemphasizing his obvious weaknesses. In that way, it reminded me of another Stephen Sondheim adaptation, Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd, wherein a savant-like visual artist is paired with a genius for storytelling, plotting, and characterization. It occurs to me that every single Robert Wise film would be better had Spielberg directed it. This isn't because Wise butchered The Magnificent Ambersons and betrayed Val Lewton, it's because he played in the same sandbox as Spielberg and no one has ever been better at building those particular sandcastles.

Found this little clip of some dancing from "America"

Spielberg's definitely in his element with stuff like this. Honestly now that he's gone and done it, I have to admit it is gonna be fun to see him take on all these numbers. Listening to the soundtrack and being reminded of all this music, he's probably nailed the gym scene.

Just came in to say I listened to America and it's so sterilised and technically good but lifeless and so much less of a performance than the older movie, still not interested in this at all, k bye

I just the saw the video and some of the choreography is similar to the the 1961 film and making the song between the Sharks women and men was an invention of the 1961 movie.

And also in the interview junket the stars of the 2021 movie themselves called it a remake.

So yes, it is a remake. 

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Talking about chosing a musical for a film. Spielberg could have chosen Thomas and the King and make a film from it. Would have closed the loop in a way.

Would also have closed in a week.

I didn't like it that much to be honest. I feel a little disappointed. I am not really convinced I bought Ansel in the role. I think his singing is good enough in context I guess. The movie I found to be too long and a bit boring overall. They say updated but I didn't find it to be that updated at all. I will noodle over it a bit more.

I have seen the movie and thought it was terrific.  Haven't seen the original in over thirty years and remembered virtually nothing about it except a few of the songs, so I've got little to compare it to, but I enjoyed it top to bottom.

Finally seen the movie. It's beautiful, Spielberg continues to show how good and confortable he is with every kind of movie.

One of the best movie I've seen this year (although I'm not objective when it comes to Spielberg)

Ansel is not a good actor, but he’s an improvement over the lead from the original, the central romance of which I find intolerable. Practically everything else about this version I loved. Spielberg went all out, and it shows.

I think its Spielberg's best film this century. 

He should have remade a weak film, he should not have remade a classic. 

All in all thats Bullshit. 

SS in my estimation pulled off what others couldn't, wouldn't have dared. I think the Ansel sucks bandwagon is...bullshit. There is that word again. 

I do get it. Musicals are not for everyone. My gay husband said no absolutely not.

The production values, the artistry, the acting, all top notch. Hell I will even slap Kaminski on the back.  I knew the story and knew it well yet it was Niagara falls when Rita Moreno sang somewhere.

The paradox I can't help but run into with this movie is that it really is the best film I could have expected, undeniably a great, thoughtful adaptation with virtuosity to spare that basically does everything right, and yet still just can't feel entirely like its own special film. Because the music is so iconic and cinematically its marriage to the original endures. Sometimes watching it, I did feel like he couldn't decide between delivering a new thing or a tribute to the original, and does feel like a little bit of a losing battle in that way, but the good thing is that it's fought valiantly. Spielberg brought all his fists, bottles, bats, chains, and knives.

It definitely feels like the most fun he's having since at least Tintin. It is probably for me his most consistently entertaining and involving movie since Catch Me If You Can, because he's working with great material and he doesn't really have to hold anything back. It's often very moving. Predictably weakest when it runs up against the Romeo & Juliet trappings of the love story but Rita Moreno's role is a good example of a worthwhile spin, and greater authenticity to the Puerto Ricans and a little extra believable viciousness (but not too much) to the gangs. 

My main thought coming out of it was that he really, REALLY wanted to make a musical. He wanted it bad and it comes across onscreen. I guess after he hit 70 he just got fed up of waiting for something that was really screaming out to him and he just said screw it and picked his favorite one. He's allowed.

On 06/12/2021 at 5:27 PM, Edmilson said:

Here's why Spielberg didn't put subtitles when they're speaking Spanish:

Steven Spielberg Refused to Use Subtitles in ‘West Side Story’ and ‘Give English the Power Over Spanish’

Many films and US tv shows that are primarily in English don't resort to subtitles every time characters speak Spanish.

I have no problem with this tactic. It's a dramatic device that reinforces the culture clash of the participants. Im sure any IMPORTANT dialog will be in English

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

The paradox I can't help but run into with this movie is that it really is the best film I could have expected, undeniably a great, thoughtful adaptation with virtuosity to spare that basically does everything right, and yet still just can't feel entirely like its own special film. Because the music is so iconic and cinematically its marriage to the original endures. Sometimes watching it, I did feel like he couldn't decide between delivering a new thing or a tribute to the original, and does feel like a little bit of a losing battle in that way, but the good thing is that it's fought valiantly. Spielberg brought all his fists, bottles, bats, chains, and knives.

It definitely feels like the most fun he's having since at least Tintin. It is probably for me his most consistently entertaining and involving movie since Catch Me If You Can, because he's working with great material and he doesn't really have to hold anything back. It's often very moving. Predictably weakest when it runs up against the Romeo & Juliet trappings of the love story but Rita Moreno's role is a good example of a worthwhile spin, and greater authenticity to the Puerto Ricans and a little extra believable viciousness (but not too much) to the gangs. 

My main thought coming out of it was that he really, REALLY wanted to make a musical. He wanted it bad and it comes across onscreen. I guess after he hit 70 he just got fed up of waiting for something that was really screaming out to him and he just said screw it and picked his favorite one. He's allowed.

I feel this film didn't answer the question it had to answer - why was it remade? Sure it fixed the casting issue, casting Latino actors in Latino roles.

But besides that, how is this a significant update? It's still based in the same period, has similar scenes, even similar dresses, similar choreography and obviously the same story beats even though the dialog is different.

Why was this made? Is it well made? Sure. But I don't think the movie justified why it exists. 

I am afraid the answer is - JUST BECAUSE.

Based on this answer, any movie can be remade. 

I don't wholly disagree, but I do think there are some arguments for it. But they are mostly tweaks that deepen character and plot. Riff, I found more interesting in this version. The buildup to the rumble felt more palpable to me somehow, just felt like a bigger deal. The rumble itself is a little more brutal and sad, as well as aspects of its aftermath. The treatment of Anybodys is an interesting one.

It is kind of just a movie that exists for its own sake, and I guess it's a question of how much that matters in the long run. I'm glad I found it engaging cinema. Generally it's more interesting as a Spielberg movie than as a second West Side Story. 

I just came back from seeing the film. I have to applaud Steven Spielberg and all involved with this adaptation. This was moving; I was in tears at the end. The production, the music, the acting, the choreography, everything. In my opinion, this in a lot of ways is better than the 1961 film. This adaptation of the 1957 Broadway musical captures the spirit of the original Broadway book while breathing new life into this story that is, while timeless, as relevant today as it was when it first came out, going back to its Shakespearean roots. This was very well done, and I cannot wait to get this when it comes out on 4K Blu-Ray; I want to see how this was made. I’m going to get the soundtrack too. Steven Spielberg and crew did a fantastic job.  

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I feel this film didn't answer the question it had to answer - why was it remade? Sure it fixed the casting issue, casting Latino actors in Latino roles.

But besides that, how is this a significant update? It's still based in the same period, has similar scenes, even similar dresses, similar choreography and obviously the same story beats even though the dialog is different.

Why was this made? Is it well made? Sure. But I don't think the movie justified why it exists. 

I am afraid the answer is - JUST BECAUSE.

Based on this answer, any movie can be remade. 

Why has the play been restaged and rerecorded many times?

3 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

I just came back from seeing the film. I have to applaud Steven Spielberg and all involved with this adaptation. This was moving; I was in tears at the end. The production, the music, the acting, the choreography, everything. In my opinion, this in a lot of ways is better than the 1961 film, which I liked. This adaptation of the 1957 Broadway musical captures the spirit of the original Broadway book while breathing new life into this story that is, while timeless, as relevant today as it was when it first came out, going back to its Shakespearean roots. This was very well done, and I cannot wait to get this when it comes out on 4K Blu-Ray; I want to see how this was made. I’m going to get the soundtrack too. Steven Spielberg and crew did a fantastic job.  

I was looking forward to seeing this at The Castro Theater in SF.

But, the venue is still closed. No doubt due to the idiotic COVID restrictions that continue to suffocate the City.😞