Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story (2021)

mrbellamy

7 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I feel this film didn't answer the question it had to answer - why was it remade? Sure it fixed the casting issue, casting Latino actors in Latino roles.

But besides that, how is this a significant update? It's still based in the same period, has similar scenes, even similar dresses, similar choreography and obviously the same story beats even though the dialog is different.

Why was this made? Is it well made? Sure. But I don't think the movie justified why it exists. 

I am afraid the answer is - JUST BECAUSE.

Based on this answer, any movie can be remade. 

It was remade because Spielberg wanted to make a musical and has a close bound to the original one (it's dedicated to his "dad") so I just see the answer as someone need and while to remake it.

And yes any movie can be remade, it doesn't need a why and certainly doesn't take away the quality of the original, it's just a risky bet from those who decide to remake it.

12 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Based on this answer, any movie can be remade. 

Now you’re getting it!

12 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

It is kind of just a movie that exists for its own sake, and I guess it's a question of how much that matters in the long run.

Zero!  That’s literally the basis for every movie ever made.

56 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Ooof! This is a very expensive production - 100 mil. And I have seen posters for this literally every where. They must have spent a fortune marketing this movie. The mouse house is likely to lose a lot of money on this film.

When will Hollywood realize that they need to stop making pointless remakes no one asked for. Will they only stop when they start losing the shirt off their back?

Maybe this film will be a lesson to Hollywood.

But who knows maybe its a sleeper and sails through the next few months on oscar buzz.

I’m sure they’ll do better, but they appeal to a wider audience (children, young adults) - and types who are less likely to be carefree about COVID.  A prestige-y Oscarbait musical is at a significant disadvantage right now.  

Even then, all of the big hits so far this year have had an asterisk.  In our last non-COVID year, the  middling Marvel movies well outperformed this year’s middling Marvel movies.

A56163A5-6551-4A23-980C-1AD3A8CD4CE6.jpeg575098FA-CD74-47FE-A414-233B16E0292D.jpeg

No non-genre, non-franchise movie has done well this year.  At a certain point I'm afraid it will become clear that box office potential is permanently a fraction of what it was pre-pandemic for all but the very biggest tentpole releases (and not even all of those).  Hopefully I'm needlessly pessimistic.

I agree that this is the kind of movie that even pre-Covid would have opened modestly and then at best would have had legs through winter. It's never gonna compete against Spider-Man. 

It reminds me, though, back when Spielberg and Lucas were predicting an implosion of the theatrical industry. Their thought was that too many expensive superhero movies would fail one year. Cute.

It's really a shame for such a great movie. Sadly Covid and also, at least in France, the high price of theater tickets are sinking the theatrical industry.

I mean it's cheaper to get one month of Disney+ or Prime than to afford one movie in theater. If it's the same elsewhere I wouldn't be surprised that lot of people are saving for Spider-Man while skipping the smaller productions.

Spider-Man should works badly compare to the other, butt be the biggest hit of the year while Matrix will failed epically.

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

I’m super pumped for the day when we are comfortable to go back, especially since my kid is old enough to watch a wider swath of movies.  I’m gonna watch every fucking movie, every movie I would never have seen before previously.  Dumb Venom movies and boring old people romcoms about relationships after age 60 and everything in between.  I don’t think it’s the death of theaters, I think people just don’t find theatrical viewing on the inside portion of their risk assessments right now.

I'm willing to die for Spielberg

On 11/12/2021 at 8:01 PM, May the Force be with You said:

...Covid and also, at least in France, the high price of theater tickets are sinking the theatrical industry.

It's £7.50, up here. Not sure what that is in Euros, but it's about $12.

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

About 8,80€. Though with the usual surcharge (overlength, 3D, whathaveyou), you end up paying more all the time.

3 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I'm not concerned about COVID.

What keeps me away from theaters is multi-plexes, commercials, and twenty minute previews

Exactly!

3 hours ago, publicist said:

About 8,80€. Though with the usual surcharge (overlength, 3D, whathaveyou), you end up paying more all the time.

Sorry, dude, but... what's "overlength"?

For myself this would be another case of being kind of excited to see a movie and the film makers doing a really good job of talking me out of it. Someday someone is going to rediscover the Michael Jordan rule and they will make ALL of the money.

I read an interview with the screenwriter who said (paraphrasing) "People have been confused. This isn't the Montagues and Capulets" (really?) "there is actually a good side and a bad side to this story."

I still want to see it (my wife wants to so that always helps) but I won't be contributing to the opening box office.

OTOH I still haven't seen Lincoln. (But I have seen BFG. What a world.) Maybe I'll just watch that.

You don’t like the previews?  Nuts!

When I worked at a theater, there was always a certain number of people who tried to game the commercials/trailers by coming to the movie X minutes late, which is fine, but then they’d always get mad and complain to you when they missed part of the actual movie.  

Buddy, we can promise the movie itself will not start before the time on the board, but that’s it.  There’s nuance in when we started the previews (how tight is the window between showings, how chaotic is my schedule between that house and the other ten or so, etc.)

17 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Someday someone is going to rediscover the Michael Jordan rule and they will make ALL of the money.

What rule is this?  Googled this and all I could find was “make lots of faces at Michael Jordan when you play him to try and distract him.”

58 minutes ago, publicist said:

Everything that runs beyond 120 minutes.

Wha'?! :o

You mean that you're charged more, if you watch a longer film???!!!

38 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I used to like previews, but, nowadays, I throw a hissy fit, if a DVD or a Blu, takes longer than 30 seconds to load.

Oh, and don't talk to me about interactive fucking menus!

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

What rule is this?  Googled this and all I could find was “make lots of faces at Michael Jordan when you play him to try and distract him.”

I'd heard him say something more generic along the lines of "Everybody buys shoes so why piss off half your customers?" but of course the only thing I could find now is more specific "Republicans buy shoes too".

I'm sure there are lots of reasons that the box office is down but I bet the lecturing is not nothing. (Hell, DUNE made more money!)

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I like previews. But when I saw Dune the movie started THIRTY FIVE MINUTES past the show time.

4 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

And I loved it so much.

Awesome. I have no idea WHEN we'll see it, but it's second on the family list after Spider-Man.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wha'?! :o

You mean that you're charged more, if you watch a longer film???!!!

Of course, always like this in german cinemas. And there was a time when you didn't mind because the actual number of films exceeding 120' wasn't high. With 'Braveheart' & Co. this all changed and suddenly every POS movie was 145 minutes long. 

It's been a while since Spielberg's movie stopped to attract big crowds.

But he continue to make the movies he want to make...

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Of course, always like this in german cinemas. And there was a time when you didn't mind because the actual number of films exceeding 120' wasn't high. With 'Braveheart' & Co. this all changed and suddenly every POS movie was 145 minutes long. 

My giddy aunt! How much would they charge you to watch SHOAH???!!!

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I'd be pretty mad if I had paid extra for watching The Patriot in the theater, great Williams score notwithstanding.

I saw it in the theater and enjoyed it at the time. That was before I knew how grossly inaccurate it was (the church fire). But it's a fun historical romp. 

I didn't pay. My parent did. 

15 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I'd heard him say something more generic along the lines of "Everybody buys shoes so why piss off half your customers?" but of course the only thing I could find now is more specific "Republicans buy shoes too".

I'm sure there are lots of reasons that the box office is down but I bet the lecturing is not nothing. (Hell, DUNE made more money!)

I like previews. But when I saw Dune the movie started THIRTY FIVE MINUTES past the show time.

That's why i stay home😠

3 hours ago, Positivatee said:

I saw it in the theater and enjoyed it at the time. That was before I knew how grossly inaccurate it was (the church fire). But it's a fun historical romp. 

I didn't pay. My parent did. 

Horrible film that could have been worse.

It was originally supposed to be about a real character, Francis " The Swamp Fox" Marion who, like the film character, waged a guerilla war against British troops.

But, they found out the real guy was a racist and slave owner.

Fine. I don't mind them fictionalizing the story.

First, they turned him into a civil rights champion!!!!!

Worse, it was turned into " DIE HARD" 1776, complete with cliche villains and plot twists.

An atrocious depiction of an historical event.

22 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Well where I am it's 12.90€ which is £11.01 for an adult, if you're student you get a smaller price £8.02 so it's kind of really expensive plus extra charges (3D, IMAX...)