Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story (2021)

mrbellamy

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea in the USA they are keeping the Disney+ app entirely family-friendly, and the r-rated fare they own all stream elsewhere

Same thing happened here in Brazil. Disney+ is for the family friendly stuff plus Marvel and Star Wars, and Star+ is for the more mature content, including the old Fox animated shows (Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, etc), plus classics from 20th Century Fox like Die Hard, Predator, Alien and Titanic (which is a Fox movie here) and some Touchstone movies like Armageddon and Pearl Harbor.

In Europe it's the same, at least where I live, with Star added to Disney+.

Star is kind of the equivolent of Hulu. With a lot of Hulu series streaming on Star on Disney+.

And I can put a pincode on each profile. And I can put an age range on the profiles. So I can choose that a profile can watch anything. Or I can choose different age ranges.

I think it works really well.

When I want to watch with my younger cousin I can pick another account so that not even certain things pop up

• 3 weeks later...

Spielberg loves his oners!  Can't wait to finally see this when it hits D+ in a few days!

But surely there's a cut here masked digitally?  If not, Kaminski would have earned a 3rd Oscar if he wins.

49 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Spielberg loves his oners!  Can't wait to finally see this when it hits D+ in a few days!

But surely there's a cut here masked digitally?  If not, Kaminski would have earned a 3rd Oscar if he wins.

I think I heard or read somewhere in an interview that is was a real oner and that it took a lot of time to prep

All of Spielberg's oners are impressive in a technical way, help further the narrative or heighten the drama, but aren't quite as flashy as many other director's oners like Cuaron for example. There's something more classically Hollywood in Spielberg's oners.

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I mean its a nice shot and all. I guess I don't see what the big deal is. Anyone seen Enter The Void, there is  shot like this every 2 minutes. 

There's a shot like this every two minutes in Steven Spielberg's West Side Story as well which is what we're talking about here. 

59 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

There's a shot like this every two minutes in Steven Spielberg's West Side Story as well which is what we're talking about here. 

Every  single shot in West Side Story is not a oner. Oners are routine in arthouse cinema. Have you seen any of Hong Sang Soo's films? He is a Korean director who does 90 minute films in 30 shots or less. So that means lots of oners.

Have you heard of Bella Tarr? He's a hungarian director who does 2.5 - 3 hour movies in 30 shots. His film Werckmeister Harmonies has an entire riot in a hospital with so many extras filmed in a single 7.5 minute take.

I am just speaking objectively, based on the cinema I have watched, there is nothing remotely special about that shot to me. Spielberg has done some good shots, not saying he hasn't, but this one isn't impressive to me in the slightest. 

I haven't seen Hong Sang Soo or Enter the Void. I've seen Bela Tarr's films and many an arthouse sequence shot. I'm not even talking about oners specifically, though, it's just a fluidly directed musical, can't get enough of that. 

4 hours ago, Bayesian said:

Have you heard of Michael Bay? He’s an American director who can film 4 minutes of car-shaped robots beating the piss out of each other with as few as 950 shots. You wanna talk about talent

Post of the week.

ROTFLMAO

6 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Still no one has ever beaten Olivier Megaton and his fence jumping

Jaw dropped. I counted 15 shots in 6 seconds. That's like half of Hang Sang Soo's or Bela Tarr's movie. They use 15 shots in 1 hour. 😱

Unpopular opinion - I feel Nolan cuts the same way. Dunkirk gave me a stroke in the theater because it was just cutcutcutcutcutcutcutcutcutcutcutcut overlaid with Zimmer's noise pollution. 

Has anyone counted the cuts in that Bohemian Rhapsody scene that got reposted a few days back?

EDIT: This one.  Ok I did it.  It's like 50 cuts in 82 seconds.

On 31/01/2019 at 4:10 AM, Alex said:

Best Editing nomination but this hurts my brain 

34 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I feel obligated to reshare this every time I see this ridiculous "bad editing" argument get brought up relating to Bohemian Rhapsody:

I mean.... this interview certainly doesn't convince me that it's *good* editing.  

55 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I mean.... this interview certainly doesn't convince me that it's *good* editing.  

Sorry, I was not meaning to imply that this would convince you that this one scene has "good" editing. John himself admits the scene has issues in the interview. I'd have to be an absolute loon to use this as proof the editing of that scene is "good".

I share that more so 1.) for additional context on what exactly happened to cause the issue and 2.) bring up how ridiculous it is that people love to use that one scene to dismiss the entire film as even a contender for best editing. John also mentions that briefly in the interview. It's like saying any film that has one rough moment of CGI should disqualify it for Best VFX (and most films nominated for Best VFX do have some rough moments in them)

For anyone who has not actually sat down and watched Bohemian Rhapsody, the internet would lead them to believe the entire film is edited this way. I'm so tired of seeing this one scene being shared around. Lol.

I have yet to see anyone pull up any other scenes from this film to further discount it's editing - it's always this one. I do also find it silly though to count the cuts in a particular duration as if that somehow supports that it's "bad" editing. It just all depends on the scene, it doesn't work here, but I can totally see a conversation or a meeting being edited this way to create a vibe of anxiety or tension. 

All that being said, the phenomenon John talks about- it feeling different in the theater- is completely true. I had absolutely no negative reaction to the editing of that scene when I first saw it in a theater and you think I would've since I do it professionally. The person I was with also did not notice anything was amiss. I was surprised to find the internet outraged the film won Best Editing simply because of this one scene. It's just not as black and white of an issue as it's made out to be.

To wrap up, because it's the internet and if you defend something you simply must think it's a flawless masterpiece - I also don't think Bohemian Rhapsody is a perfect film by any means. It was a very cool experience in theaters, but it does have it's issues - in hindsight, this scene is one of them.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Never mind the editing - what about the aspect ratio?

Love it. Might have been cooler though if it was 1:1 so the whole thing would've looked more like an album cover.

1 hour ago, KK said:

Meh. Bohemian Rhapsody is an incredibly average and unremarkable film. Overrated.

It was overall entertaining enough and there were even some moments of sadness with Freddie being more and more isolated. Sure, it's not a great movie but why do people always expect their lives to be changed every time they see a movie? It's just a sympathetic little popcorn movie, for Pete's sake!

1 hour ago, KK said:

I am mildly looking forward to watching West Side Story, if only to see an old pro at work.

That's a musical, not a biopic. 

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It was fine. Ultimately, Rocketman was a much superior film which at least had an idea to do away with conventional biopic approach and therefore cannot be criticised (much) for not following the facts religiously.

Karol

Indeed, and it got just a fraction of the attention that Bohemian Rhapsody did.

Agree with both of you - Rocketman was a WAY better film that Bohemian Rhapsody

(Though, I vastly prefer Queen's music over Elton's)

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

It was fine. Ultimately, Rocketman was a much superior film which at least had an idea to do away with conventional biopic approach and therefore cannot be criticised (much) for not following the facts religiously.

Karol

Really? What I saw was too much of a repetition of Bohemian Rhapsody. Not bad either but too much of the same thing. Also, and perhaps more important, from the moment we follow Rami Malek walking through the backstage corridors towards the podium in the opening scene, he already became Freddie Mercury. To me, Taron Egerton never became Elton John. At best, Rocketman is just as good as Bohemian Rhapsody.

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

Agree with both of you - Rocketman was a WAY better film that Bohemian Rhapsody

(Though, I vastly prefer Queen's music over Elton's)

Snap! Rocketman was a great movie. I actually didn’t get round to Bohemian Rhapsody yet. I was really hyped for it but given the lukewarm reviews I didn’t bother in the end. 

I will never watch either Bohemian Rhapsody or Rocketman. To me biopic is the most terrible genre of filmmaking. Just because they composed good songs doesn't mean their life story is worth telling. I just hate this obsession. Like if anybody does anything remotely interesting - bam there is a biopic. It is so tiresome. Contrary to popular belief, most people's lives are extremely boring, uninspiring, ordinary and mundane. There should be a greater impetus to tell someone's lifestory rather than just - oh that person is famous let's do a biopic. There should be some merit, some intrigue, something interesting in the lifestory itself. Just because it is about a certain person does not make a story inherently interesting. 

Imagine how horrifying JW's biopic would be, how cringe inducing. It would contain a terrible scene like, he's playing with his kids and his kid taps the fence to scare away a bird. Cue the actor's eyes lining up, rushing home to his piano and composing the 2 note shark motif in Jaws. It is just so revolting. 

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Love the aspect ratio!

They had to go with 2.35:1. Ulyssesian's story is one of the most cinematic experiences you'll ever see - Exclusively in Theaters on November 16th.

The movie he fully admitted he hadn't watched?

If it didn't occur to him to think that the people being so impressed by that WSS oner would also be so used to the oversaturated blockbuster market of today, then I think it's fairly likely the bias is still clouding his judgement.

I'm sure he's gonna have to bite the bullet eventually if he wants to stay combative with more people having legitimate feedback over the film as a result of the digital release. There's only so much you can use the "I just think it's pointless" card for before you run out of things to say.

21 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

The movie he fully admitted he hadn't watched?

If it didn't occur to him to think that the people being so impressed by that WSS oner would also be so used to the oversaturated blockbuster market of today, then I think it's fairly likely the bias is still clouding his judgement.

I'm sure he's gonna have to bite the bullet eventually if he wants to stay combative with more people having legitimate feedback over the film as a result of the digital release. There's only so much you can use the "I just think it's pointless" card for before you run out of things to say.

Is this post about me?