Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story (2021)

mrbellamy

On 3/24/2019 at 7:41 AM, publicist said:

To cite Pauline Kael's review back from 1961 which seems prophetic in foretelling the problems of adapting that thing for a 2019 audience:

Did Lalaland have any of those issues?

Unlike Burton's Sweeney Todd, Spielberg is clearly going for the traditional Hollywood musical extravaganza based on the chorus line concept.

il_570xN.700772123_1jcv.jpg

On 2/6/2019 at 10:38 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Personally, I think this is terrible idea for Spielberg to undertake at this point. I am not at all interested in the film. But interestingly enough I'm excited to hear what Newman does. I haven't heard too much from him since Ice Age.

well, David Newman has many memorable scores, like..wait.

David Newman is a fine composer. Not as original as his brother, perhaps, but damn enjoyable scores on his resume anyway -- FIRE BIRDS, PARADISE, THE PHANTOM, THE AFFAIR OF THE NECKLACE are particular favourites. MATHILDA, WAR OF THE ROSES, ICE AGE are others. Actually, since he doesn't have much of a personal voice, but does pastiche wonderfully (and conducts other people's work quite good), he might be perfectly suited to this.

1 minute ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Is it bad that I'm only familiar with ICE AGE?

Nope.  His projects are quite random and all over the place.  I stated my preference the other day.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:09 AM, Disco Stu said:

Operation Dumbo Drop ... I'm that score's biggest and only fan :lol:

On 4/22/2019 at 1:34 PM, Disco Stu said:

It's my favorite D. Newman score by far!

• 2 weeks later...

Disney is releasing AVATAR movies the pre-Christmas weekend every odd-numbered year starting in 2021.

They are releasing STAR WARS movies the pre-Christmas weekend every even-numbered year starting in 2022.

What do they release the pre-Christmas weekend of 2020?

WEST SIDE STORY OF COURSE.  It's so obvious!

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I mean Mary Poppins Returns was their big December 2019 release, another throwback musical.

You mean 2018?

48 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I mean Mary Poppins Returns was their big December 2019 release, another throwback musical.

Yeah, makes sense. Ever since Chicago it seems Hollywood always tries to get big musicals in around Christmas for Oscar bait and/or box office. It’s worked like gangbusters (Les Mis, La La Land, Greatest Showman) or fine (Sweeney Todd, Into the Woods, Mary Poppins) enough times to excuse the disasters (Annie, Nine).

This year will be Tom Hooper’s Cats...

Christmas 2015: STAR WARS

Christmas 2016: STAR WARS

Christmas 2017: STAR WARS

Christmas 2018: mary poppins

Christmas 2019: STAR WARS

Christmas 2020: west side story

Christmas 2021: AVATAR

Christmas 2022: STAR WARS

Christmas 2023: AVATAR

Christmas 2024: STAR WARS

Christmas 2025: AVATAR

Christmas 2026: STAR WARS

Christmas 2027: AVATAR

I'm terrible at following production updates and that kind of stuff. But yikes, it's one and a half YEAR untill WSS premieres? I thought it was just around the corner, relatively speaking.

For those in the know, is Spielberg multi-tasking and doing other projects that we can look forward to before that?

49 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm terrible at following production updates and that kind of stuff. But yikes, it's one and a half YEAR untill WSS premieres? I thought it was just around the corner, relatively speaking.

For those in the know, is Spielberg multi-tasking and doing other projects that we can look forward to before that?

This is actually really really really late for Spielberg. Spielberg is a very quick worker. He turned around the Post in literally 7 months or so.

So it is surprising. This should not even have a ton of CGI. Most of it will be medium shot dancing and singing scenes. Or perhaps Spielberg has something pretty big planned.

There's no reason this couldn't be finished and released this year.

The music is done. It's not like they need to write new stuff. It is already written and orchestrated. They just need to get an orchestra together and record it.

The release date could very well have been the decision of a Disney executive, and not Spielberg himself. 

And he could always finish and turn in the movie early, and they could just sit on the finished film until release. 

And no, he has no other films in preproduction right now, and only Indy 5 has a release date attached to it out of anything he's been attached to. 

Yeah, I think Disney just wants it to be a holiday release and don’t want it up against Star Wars. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s done and moved onto Indy (or whatever else) by early next year.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

And he could always finish and turn in the movie early, and they could just sit on the finished film until release. 

I think that's probably the case. He'll finish WSS before the end of this year/early next year, then devote his full attention to developing Indy 5 in the hope of shooting that by mid-2020. That's the only way he can turn around that film for its July 2021 release. Was very surprised it wasn't delayed despite the rumours of the latest Kasdan script being tossed out and started from scratch. They must be reasonably confident it's going to happen?

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Christmas 2015: STAR WARS

Christmas 2016: STAR WARS

Christmas 2017: STAR WARS

Christmas 2018: mary poppins

Christmas 2019: STAR WARS

Christmas 2020: west side story

Christmas 2021: AVATAR

Christmas 2022: STAR WARS

Christmas 2023: AVATAR

Christmas 2024: STAR WARS

Christmas 2025: AVATAR

Christmas 2026: STAR WARS

Christmas 2027: AVATAR

Add Marvel movies, mix it with Disney live-action-ization of classic animations, add a pinch of potential new IPs and there you have it. This is the new Hollywood. I very much hope the Criterion Channel will arrive soon in my country so I can really forget about anything new and spend my time with true cinema classics.

However, I'll grab my popcorn to see Disney forcing Cameron to release 4 films in 6 years... considering he usually takes 10 years to make just one.

7 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah, I think Disney just wants it to be a holiday release and don’t want it up against Star Wars. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s done and moved onto Indy (or whatever else) by early next year.

"Untitled Indiana Jones Film" is still set for July 9, 2021. But it still looks a dubious release date considering they have just commissioned a new script and there's a lot of people that have to give the green-light before anything move forward. So we'll see.

9 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

This is actually really really really late for Spielberg. Spielberg is a very quick worker. He turned around the Post in literally 7 months or so.

So it is surprising. This should not even have a ton of CGI. Most of it will be medium shot dancing and singing scenes. Or perhaps Spielberg has something pretty big planned.

There's no reason this couldn't be finished and released this year.

The music is done. It's not like they need to write new stuff. It is already written and orchestrated. They just need to get an orchestra together and record it.

Producing, preparing, filming, editing and finishing a big movie musical ain't a cakewalk. Considering what they have to achieve, just filming could potentially be scheduled between 90 and 120 days at the very least. Spielberg is a fast shooter, so he won't indulge in a long filming schedule, but this ain't The Post or Bridge of Spies, it's gonna be much bigger and more ambitious. I expect Spielberg working on it as long as he can.

While of course they're using Bernstein's original Broadway score, the music still has to be prepared, synced, conformed and recorded to the new film. It's quite a major feat, it's not just dusting off an old score and record it fresh. Newman will also write any new incidental score the film might need.

By the way, the release date is something that was likely concurred between Amblin and Disney. Releasing it at Christmastime makes sense for a box office perspective. However, the listing relased yesterday by WDS is just a list of potential dates. They can be pushed back or forward any time. It's something they need to make public mostly to reassure investors and make some media noise.

2 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I very much hope the Criterion Channel will arrive soon in my country so I can really forget about anything new and spend my time with true cinema classics.

Same here!

There is no "Criterion Channel", as far as I know, but mubi.com fills some of that potential (albeit a curated selection of films every month rather than thousands upon thousands of titles available all at once). Highly recommended if you want a break from all the AVATARs and STAR WARSes and Marvels and what-have-you.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

There is no "Criterion Channel", as far as I know

https://www.criterionchannel.com/

10 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Spielberg is a fast shooter, so he won't indulge in a long filming schedule, but this ain't The Post or Bridge of Spies, it's gonna be much bigger and more ambitious.

It is sometimes hard to really guess with him, though. He shot Saving Private Ryan in the same number of days as Bridge of Spies (less than 3 months)

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Perhaps I'll have to check that out. What's the monthly subscription price?

Monthly: 99 NOK/month

Yearly: 69 NOK/month

So basically the cost of a beer on the town (which is the benchmark I use for all things).

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

Ha! Whaddayaknow! Didn't know that. Seems pretty closely molded on MUBI's interface.

5 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Add Marvel movies, mix it with Disney live-action-ization of classic animations, add a pinch of potential new IPs and there you have it. This is the new Hollywood. I very much hope the Criterion Channel will arrive soon in my country so I can really forget about anything new and spend my time with true cinema classics.

Here is the Russo brothers themselves on this subject, giving a pretty honest answer from their perspective

Joe: Here’s where it’s all headed, and I think social media was the driver for all of this: There’s a very clear metric between generating conversation and box-office revenue. With all of the quality content you can get in your home and given that [streaming companies are] only going to increase what they’re spending on that content, getting people out of the house requires a special experience. That’s why movies are becoming more event-sized. Marvel is creating this emotional connection with its audience—it has done so over a decade, and there’s emotional capital invested. This generation is more invested in serialized storytelling than they are in two-hour narratives.

Joe: We’re children of the ’70s and ’80s, the golden era of auteur filmmaking. We love it, but at some point the impressionists have to step aside, and the next group of artists has to show up and paint in a different way. I think this generation of viewers is going to change the way that we perceive narrative because audiences are so facile in the way they consume content. Whether it be on Twitter in 30 seconds, on YouTube in five minutes, on Netflix, at the theater, they all value different experiences, but they value a connection and, above all, a conversation. That’s why I think movies in the middle have sort of disappeared, because they don’t drive conversation the same way that event movies do, and they don’t drive it on a global scale the way event movies do.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/05/russo-brothers-interview-avengers-marvel-endgame/588832/

Essentially, if you're not a franchise IP that appeals to the important demos, you're going to a streaming service on TV.

Joe: We’re children of the ’70s and ’80s, the golden era of auteur filmmaking. We love it, but at some point the impressionists have to step aside, and the next group of artists has to show up and paint in a different way. I think this generation of viewers is going to change the way that we perceive narrative because audiences are so facile in the way they consume content. Whether it be on Twitter in 30 seconds, on YouTube in five minutes, on Netflix, at the theater, they all value different experiences, but they value a connection and, above all, a conversation. That’s why I think movies in the middle have sort of disappeared, because they don’t drive conversation the same way that event movies do, and they don’t drive it on a global scale the way event movies do.

The only emoji this deserves is a vomit face, but since this forum doesn't include one, I had to settle for a sad face. Sickening how the studios/corporations and their creative lackeys, the "successful" directors, attempt to deflect blame for catering to adolescent tastes and enabling fanboy culture over the years. This guy considers himself part of a group of artists?

18 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

https://www.criterionchannel.com/

It is sometimes hard to really guess with him, though. He shot Saving Private Ryan in the same number of days as Bridge of Spies (less than 3 months)

He's a fast shooter absolutely. On set he's not Finchering - looking to find the film or something. 

He has every single take, edit, shot, set-up figured out.

When he gets on to the set, he's just quickly shooting economically exactly what he wants.

He does not have to do re-shoots. He knows exactly what he wants.

And his movies cut together quickly because he edits "in camera". 

In short, he's a proper old fashioned genius filmmaker.  Even with this being more ambitious, Speilberg would absolutely be able to turn this around for this year. So I do agree with those stating it's a studio mandated date and not his choice.

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

He's a fast shooter absolutely. On set he's not Finchering - looking to find the film or something. 

He has every single take, edit, shot, set-up figured out.

When he gets on to the set, he's just quickly shooting economically exactly what he wants.

He does not have to do re-shoots. He knows exactly what he wants.

And his movies cut together quickly because he edits "in camera". 

In short, he's a proper old fashioned genius filmmaker.  Even with this being more ambitious, Speilberg would absolutely be able to turn this around for this year. So I do agree with those stating it's a studio mandated date and not his choice.

If he’s such an efficient filmmaker, he really should try to get WSS in the can as soon as possible and move onto another project before Indy 5 ramps up. And I know of a certain composer he could use who’s free after December.

10 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

The only emoji this deserves is a vomit face, but since this forum doesn't include one

Um

:pukeface:

On 5/8/2019 at 4:03 AM, TownerFan said:

Spielberg is a fast shooter, 

That's what Amy Irving said in the divorce papers.😄😱