Jeremy Soule on "Hook"

Dixon Hill

Jeremy Soule (of Skyrim fame) has this to say about The Arrival of Tink/The Flight to Neverland.

Copied from his Facebook post:

Ok John Williams fans... pay attention. This is probably the finest 6 minutes of technical writing in John's career. How so? Chromaticism, counterpoint and the scherzo orchestration textures John conjured had never been finessed to this degree to picture in film at that point, and a moment like this has never been achieved since. I'm not talking about fanboy theme moments, I'm speaking purely from a technical standpoint of compositional and orchestral execution. You have to look at masters like Ravel to really have an appreciation for what John accomplished here. And, really only a few orchestras in the world could rival what (Bring More Recording To Los Angeles) AFM players created on this day. Bravo to John and the musicians of LA. You made history, even if only a few soundtrack enthusiasts can really appreciate what you accomplished with the score to Hook.

Discuss.

Well that is some statement from Mr. Soule. Since it enhances my world view and my manic appreciation of John Williams I'll go along with it 100%.

Yeah I can sort of appreciate what he's saying here and will take his word for it. Good stuff.

I already know the cue like the back of my hand due to countless listens about twenty years ago, but I'm going to study it again today and see if Soule's words enhance the immersion and appreciation even further. I can definitely grasp where he's coming from in terms of technical accomplishment, even if I have just taken it for granted all these years, but that's JW for you to a tee.

I'm a hack

'Chromaticism, counterpoint and the scherzo orchestration textures'

Lol. Sounds like a GCSE student.

Agreed.

Yep.

"Look at me being clever!"

Oh piss off you parasitic bandwagon clown, you haven't a clue.

Ironic, coming from you.

A composer who makes a living doing video game knock off scores of franchises JW is involved with things JW is the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Nothing but corporate ass-licking as far as I'm concerned!

Agreed.

You're too kind.

Soule isn't without talent. A hack in my book is someone who produces nothing by half-decent, mediocre work. That's not so bad by itself, but when it's coupled with an overinflated ego (i.e. Soule calling himself a 'symphonist', whatever that means)-- that's when it's a bit hard to stomach.

Just my two pence.

Warmed-over Stravinsky/Tchaikovsky seasoned with some HOME ALONE from the prior year - and that's the new Williams calling card? Pffffft....Writing technically accomplished but derivative stuff like that is something you not necessarily need John Williams for. Genius it ain't.

Warmed-over Stravinsky/Tchaikovsky seasoned with some HOME ALONE from the prior year - and that's the new Williams calling card? Pffffft....Writing technically accomplished but derivative stuff like that is something you not necessarily need John Williams for. Genius it ain't.

Amen brother.

I certainly prefer JttI, but that's just my own subjective view of the music on an aesthetic and 'catchiness' level.

I've outgrown Hook. It was fine at the time. But these days I've have a more evolved sensibility.

I've outgrown the majority of Williams' music but that doesn't have any bearing on my objective appraisal of his work overall.

Bullocks to that. I've outgrown the cue somewhat but I wouldn't deny it's quintessential JW brilliance.

You can stuff your brilliance. If that is already brilliant, you have run out of words for the truly brilliant stuff (and no, HOOK doesn't really belong on that list given its largely second-hand status of ideas better presented in older scores - it came at the tail-end of a period that was ripe with those idioms).

Bollocks!

Hook's not necessarily the most original JW but one just can't deny it's brilliance.

And Tchaikovsky? where?

Edit: heh great timing to use "brilliance"

I didn't realise JW's lack of 'originality' started and ended with Hook. According to the jokers in this thread the rest of his repertoire is a shining light of visionary trail blazing genius.

Oh dear, the usual JWFan frisbee throwing of the dreaded old phrases - ART!! GENIUS!! BRILLIANCE!!! - is in full bloom again. Why must everything you people enjoy on some level must become a pile of superlatives?

"You people"

Heh heh

Btw you were the first contributor to mention that particular superlative you fucking idiot. Gawd.

You were? And who else other than yourself muttered the word "art"?

Nobody.

Pub mate, you've been found out. Just inconspicuously sneak out the back door if I were you.

Agreed.

You're too kind.

Soule isn't without talent. A hack in my book is someone who produces nothing by half-decent, mediocre work. That's not so bad by itself, but when it's coupled with an overinflated ego (i.e. Soule calling himself a 'symphonist', whatever that means)-- that's when it's a bit hard to stomach.

Just my two pence.

Well, he is writing a symphony....

I didn't realise JW's lack of 'originality' started and ended with Hook..

Nope, you can add HOME ALONE 1 and 2 and about half a dozen others to that list.

Agreed.

You're too kind.

Just my two pence.

Well, he is writing a symphony....

And I bet it'll sound a 100 years out of date.

Nope, you can add HOME ALONE 1 and 2 and about half a dozen others to that list.

Hang on - are you German too? It's just that I expect sarcasm to go over pub's head, which I make allowances for. Language barrier and all that.

What's wrong with that?

We've heard it all before.

Maybe if it were 200 years out of date... but I think there's still plenty to say with the 100 year old vernacular.

Hang on - are you German too?

Only on weekends.

I totally agree with Jeremy Soule.

I'm also thrilled to be part of the performance of The Flight to Neverland next month. For the first time in my life.

Explain! Explain! Where in Finland are you performing it?!!!!

What's wrong with that?

Maybe if it were 200 years out of date... but I think there's still plenty to say with the 100 year old vernacular.

Tut tut, you're not taking hipsters and armchair radicals into account, Pilgrim. C'mon.

What's wrong with that?

Tut tut, you're not taking hipsters and armchair radicals into account, Pilgrim. C'mon.

I'm an ARTISTE! Just because you haven't heard my music that doesn't mean it doesn't exist!

What's wrong with that?

Maybe, but I haven't heard it.

Hang on - are you German too? It's just that I expect sarcasm to go over pub's head, which I make allowances for. Language barrier and all that.

British hicks teaching hipsters and armchair radicals. That'll be the day...

No, he really can't. Like I said, he's um... limited that way. But it's not his fault!

"Artiste", eh? Us northerners like to have a laugh with the term "piss artist". Is that what you mean? :P

I totally agree with Jeremy Soule.

I'm also thrilled to be part of the performance of The Flight to Neverland next month. For the first time in my life.

Explain! Explain! Where in Finland are you performing it?!!!!

4th of April, my Band. All the classics from Herrman to Morricone, from Gone with the Wind to Out of Africa. Three pieces by Johnny.

Great program.

And ....one piece from... a "Pirate Movie" :bash::shakehead::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface: