NEW Williams title coming from La-La Land Records June 16th 2015

Amer

Would prefer a re-recording though, for the unreleased bits.

Well that would be now the preferred option. I wonder if the musical materials have been conserved so that such a recording could be organized or are those also lost at this point.

No, I know for a fact that the complete handwritten score is out (though I don't have it).

The Great White has spoken. There will be no dawn for The Reivers!

Would prefer a re-recording though, for the unreleased bits.

Well that would be now the preferred option. I wonder if the musical materials have been conserved so that such a recording could be organized or are those also lost at this point.

No, I know for a fact that the complete handwritten score is out (though I don't have it).

OK now we have to get Tadlow to re-record it with LSO! ;)

What about Jaws and/or Jaws 2?

Both in serious need of remastering and in the case of the later, expansion.

Yes and supposedly the masters for Jaws are in great condition. The music on the Blu-ray sounded excellent.

What about Close Encounters? Not sure if that could benefit from a remaster or expansion... or if it's even in La-La Land's territory.

The collector's edition sounds pretty great to me. Lots of low end but and noticeable limiting. There's only two cues that haven't been released - the discovery of the ship in Gobi desert and the shaving cream scene.

The Gobi Desert stuff is a cut-and-paste from pieces later-on in the film. The Shaving Cream scene is nice, but very, very short.

Odd that no-one's mentioned "The River" as a possibility.

Honsetly, I'd be happy with JW's unreleased farts.

TOWERING INFERNO ain't on its last legs yet. Expect this to be one, the other one: hopefully A. I.

Oh to even dare to hope for it to be A.I.

That would be my biggest desire.

Dracula comes first, of course. But given how things are... highly unlikely.

I wouldn't mind Towering Inferno, though. Wouldn't be bad at all.

Karol

I'd rather have something were really missing instead of re-mastered re-issues so Towering Inferno is not my top priority

Harry Potter will definitely need final approval by Williams, so I wonder what he'll force to leave out .None of the releases where he's meddled have tuned up like we really want them

Even if the masters for Dracula are gone, could they still use film stems? Honestly, the unreleased stuff from that is prime sounding Williams from his peak period.

Anything beyong a straight re-issue is fine for me :)

though i could take 3-4 re-issues of scores i don't physically own.... nah screw it, expanded or death. Varese already tricked me with 'Missouri breaks'. :angry:

though i could take 3-4 re-issues of scores i don't physically own.... nah screw it, expanded or death.

That's the spirit! :thumbup:

I'd rather have something were really missing instead of re-mastered re-issues so Towering Inferno is not my top priority

Harry Potter will definitely need final approval by Williams, so I wonder what he'll force to leave out .None of the releases where he's meddled have tuned up like we really want them

As much as he writes great music, he's our worst enemy at allowing us to hear most of it!

As much as he writes great music, he's our worst enemy at allowing us to hear most of it!

It's that legendary modesty of his. Honestly if they are going to re-release something and the materials are available I see no reason to release some kind of "OST+ some extra bits on the side" version. Do it properly complete and chronological for the ages.

Our best fiend John Williams?

Karol

Modesty or miserly?

Williams' perspective as an artist is so radically different from ours as fans. A score we might love to bits could be somehow to him not up there with his best work so he might feel less inclined to allow for a complete release. Then again he could feel that the listening experience a complete score from start to finish might not be satisfying to him so he makes alterations and omissions, again from his own point of view. A person looking at something he has created decades earlier might see it or hear it in a radically different light than those who admire his career and work.

Our best fiend John Williams?

Karol

A fiend in need is a fiend indeed?

Modesty or miserly?

Williams' perspective as an artist is so radically different from ours as fans.

Don't speak for everyone! That's true for a certain group of fans, maybe. For fans like me, however, we're in total synch.

Modesty or miserly?

Don't speak for everyone! That's true for a certain group of fans, maybe. For fans like me, however, we're in total synch.

I am speaking from the perspective of fans who love C&C releases naturally. Let us not make this into one of the those "C&C VS OST lovers" arguments. But you are special none the less Thor. ;)

I enjoy the soundtrack releases with all songs and two tracks of score.

Soundtrackically deviant!

Modesty or miserly?

I too want the least amount of music possible!

Modesty or miserly?

I too want the least amount of music possible!

I didn't understand if this is sarcastic or not...

When I said "OST," I was referring to the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack; only albums that comprise of tracks from the whole score. For albums like Born On the Fourth of July and Always, which include songs used in the film, I only get them for John Williams' music.

• 2 months later...

I wonder what which of the Maestro's film scores will have an expanded release in the Fall. Jeez, I am already thinking ahead.

Don't worry JohnnyD, we all do that too - you fit right in :)

I remember when after my interview with Mike Matessino about 1941 went up, a thread about the 2 new Williams titles he hinted at got way more discussion than the actual release of 1941 itself

No. EOTS coming out rules out Harry Potter forever!

Admit it! You just said that to see KM squirm!

As everyone knows, I'm not interested in expansions of anything.

However, I wonder if LLL is a label that would consider releasing a totally unreleased Williams score? You know, like stuff from the 60s? Or if that doesn't quite 'fit their profile'? I hope it's just a matter of not being able to find the master tapes rather than not wanting to. We really NEED a label that can follow the tradition of FSM back when they did this.

However, I wonder if LLL is a label that would consider releasing a totally unreleased Williams score? You know, like stuff from the 60s? Or if that doesn't quite 'fit their profile'? I hope it's just a matter of not being able to find the master tapes rather than not wanting to. We really NEED a label that can follow the tradition of FSM back when they did this.

I am sure the labels are doing their best to unearth the older scores to films and television but it might not always be that fruitful search especially when we know to how varying degrees this material has been preserved. And LLL has been releasing quite a wide variety of scores from different periods in the past few years so I would not consider it unlikely that they will eventually turn to the obscure early JW as well.

And not to start a side track in this thread but are you OK with those FSM albums of e.g. JWs comedy scores from the 1960s? I mean they are so long and chronological and all. ;)

I am sure the labels are doing their best to unearth the older scores to films and television but it might not always be that fruitful search especially when we know to how varying degrees this material has been preserved. And LLL has been releasing quite a wide variety of scores from different periods in the past few years so I would not consider it unlikely that they will eventually turn to the obscure early JW as well.

And not to start a side track in this thread but are you OK with those FSM albums of e.g. JWs comedy scores from the 1960s? I mean they are so long and chronological and all. ;)

Yeah, I don't like that last aspect of them. But having them out in that format is better than nothing!

I'm still trying to make a listenable album out of JOHN GOLDFARB. It's an almost impossible task. I think the only way it could have worked is if Williams himself had rerecorded an album of it at the time, which he did with some of his other 60s scores. Sadly, that never happened.