Phantom Menace Recording Sessions?

dylan345

http://ludovics-films-production.jimdo.com/jimdo/pianofiles

Has anyone else heard of this? This guy says he has the recording sessions to the phantom menace and several other interesting scores. I was skeptical at first but there is stuff listed on there that doesn't appear anywhere else (like the complete duel of the fates instrumental). There are also some strange things like how there are only slate numbers on a few cues.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

That's what I thought, I've contacted so many people claiming to have the prequel recording sessions and it's really annoying.

Sooty if the thread title got anyone excited.

I should think a hand puppet teddy bear holding a magic wand wouldn't be so suggestive but darn it, it is. It is the magic of JWFan.

I should think a hand puppet teddy bear holding a magic wand wouldn't be so suggestive but darn it, it is. It is the magic of JWFan.

OK Incanus, two things:

a) Sooty is not a hand puppet, he's a real bear.

b) That's not a magic wand he's holding, it's a black light saber.

Definitely. I haven't spent a huge amount of time on PianoFiles, but I guarantee you this guy doesn't have the sessions.

OK Incanus, two things:

a) Sooty is not a hand puppet, he's a real bear.

b) That's not a magic wand he's holding, it's a black light saber.

My heartfelt apologies for such a rudimentary mistake. I had no idea bears had such talent with fictitious weaponry.

My heartfelt apologies for such a rudimentary mistake. I had no idea bears had such talent with fictitious weaponry.

They do, but only if it's a light sa-bear. :rimshot:

Oh the punniness! :lol:

Richard, fans have been making custom edits of The Phantom Menace score from when the first video game came out in 1999 through the latest video games still coming out today (well, until Disney shut down LucasArts). There are countless "2cd complete score" sets out there, all made by fans.

I don't think it was a Boston Pops concert, but it is a concert: I remember this being on one of the bootlegs as part of a John Williams 1999 concert suite which, IIRC, contained The Flag Parade and Anakin's Theme too.

I'm not too sure that's a rehearsal... I think it's from a concert with the Boston Pops.

Yeah, you can hear the applause at the end.

And you can hear they've only got 4 horns (standard concert number), not 8 as in the score.

Are you sure he used 8? He tends to use six more often

I know. That's what assumed until I saw pics of those pages of 'Droid Battle' on display in that SW exhibition. There were also 5 trumpets - very unusual.

Hmm well that is true that cue uses an odd brass section. I'm sure the instrumental of duel of the fates uses an even bigger orchestra.

Are you sure he used 8? He tends to use six more often

I know. That's what assumed until I saw pics of those pages of 'Droid Battle' on display in that SW exhibition. There were also 5 trumpets - very unusual.

Isn't 5 Ennio's choice number?

I'm partial to a 6442 setup as a "standard."

I feel like at the concerts I've seen him conduct, he usually has 5.

The number of players doesn't necessarily mean the the number of the parts. In live concerts they(solo horn for example) sometime might need an assistant.

I feel like at the concerts I've seen him conduct, he usually has 5. Could be wrong though. It makes a really subtle but undeniable difference.

You're were right. Just checked the score for his 2002 concert work Voici dal silenzio - 4 horns, 5 trumpets, 2 tenor trombones, 2 bass trombones and 1 tuba. With the exception of clarinets (of which there are 2) the woodwinds are in 3s.

I'm partial to a 6442 setup as a "standard."

It's that basically what Williams had for ESTB (though there were 8 horns for the space slug and only 1 horn for many cues)?

I still enjoy 4331! But for very taxing programs, I am all for including assistants. I've never had the privilege of an oversized section, but obviously more people per part adds a fullness that can help bring out broad cantilenas, add pitches to the harmonies, and alleviate what might otherwise prove to be very straining work for the musicians (similar to using two harps to help ease the

amount of footwork involved, as well as having access to more than seven pitches at a time).

Personally, I've had a lot of fun working with reduced number of players, and finding good and balanced slim versions of sections. In my recent "Hate Songs" for mezzo soprano and orchestra (Pasi&Mikko: The Finnish Chamber Orchestra will be doing this with Jukka Pekka Saraste at his festival in Ekenes in August), I only employed 2 horns, 1 trumpet and 1 trombone, as well as only 6 woodwinds (2121).

It's often more a question of voicing, and of how you design the surrounding textures and sonorities.

Yep. It's just the way that I write for brass, in a symphonic setting anyway, that results in a typical 6442 setup. In the piano concerto I'm working on now though, it's 4231 - more delicate and agile textures at play.

What's the purpose of two tubas outisde of a solo context like in close encounters?

Hmm well that is true that cue uses an odd brass section. I'm sure the instrumental of duel of the fates uses an even bigger orchestra.

Doubt it.
Oops meant brass section but you're probably still right.

What's the purpose of two tubas outisde of a solo context like in close encounters?

Mostly to provide an octave bass and double the contrabasses and cellos (and also contrabassoons, bassoons or bass and contrabass clarinets). Usually the bass trombone serves this function. In other cases they're in unison, and just provided a strong low end to the brass section - here they often double the fourth trombone an octave lower.

In the finale cues of CE3K (from The Arrival of the Mothershop onwards) Williams has a 6453 setup - out of the 5 trombones, 2 are on bass trombones. Very thick sound.

For me, it's usually a matter of wanting a stronger brass bass than usual (two tubas in unison) or giving rich harmonies to the low brass (often including open fifths at the bottom in two tubas). The bass trombone(s) can be added in either case to give more of a bite to the tone - the tubas have a rounder sound, which is why I prefer having two to serve those functions together, rather than one and a bass trombone, which have different timbres.

The brass writing in Adams' Harmonielehre is a good example of dual tubas (4432).

What's weird about that TPM cue, is that on the first page, 8441 is written out in typeset by the supplier of the manuscript paper (Judy Green Music), while an additional 5 trumpet is written below the 4th. On the next page it's the reverse with the trombone (only 4 trumpets and a 5 extra bone). What's going on here? Did Conrad Pope make a mistake?

Maybe someone who knows Conrad could contact him about this on Facebook.

Conrad recently cleaned up the music all over his house and put a lot of it in storage including the Star Wars prequels. So unless he specifically remembers that cue I'm not sure he can help.