13. The Causeway
14. Time to Suit Up
15. Into the Fray
16. Countdown
17. End of the Line
18. Captain America
19. It’s Been a Long, Long Time – Harry James and His Orchestra
20. Trouble Man – Marvin Gaye

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/03/12/captain-america-the-winter-soldier-soundtrack-details/

Not very interested on this score...

I am actually. I didn't mind Jackman's work on X-Men, didn't love it either. However, I really enjoyed his score for Wreck It Ralph so I'm looking forward to this one. I doubt we'll get to hear Silvestri's theme, unless they use a bit near the end when it may be appropriate.

It's pretty dire, as Lee said. Strangely it reminds of the STAR WARS Main Title, if you took away the opening blast and fanfare, Luke's theme, the romantic B section, stockpiling fourths at the end and the mysterioso polytonal fade out. They just share chords (lots of suspensions), a similar progression (the Cowboy Cadence - bVII -> V), rhythm (they're both stately marches in the tradition of Walton, Elgar and Korngold) and brassy orchestration.

The theme is predictable in a very bad way. Generic is exactly the adjective I'd use. There's absolutely no idiosyncrasy at all. It could be the theme for dozens of films and characters. It actually reminds a lot of this

But at least that one is suposed to be making fun precisely at this sort of theme

Yeah. The melody is weak and wasn't indelible in the way I expect a good superhero theme to be. It's like something from a B-movie.

That's the point.

No it isn't. Was The Avengers (co starring Captain America) supposed to be a B-movie musical sound, too?

Lee - finds it easier on mobile to just 'like' agreed comments rather than going to the hassle of quoting them and saying "indeed/agreed"

The theme is predictable in a very bad way. Generic is exactly the adjective I'd use. There's absolutely no idiosyncrasy at all. It could be the theme for dozens of films and characters. It actually reminds a lot of this

But at least that one is suposed to be making fun precisely at this sort of theme

This 1 million percent! GREAT comparison, Romão. Captain America sounds like a parody of a superhero theme, which more than anything works directly against the integrity of a franchise which now apparently wants to be taken as seriously as The Avengers. No wonder they're supposedly binning it for the sequels.

I'm not a fan of Jackman by any means, but I'm hoping he comes up with a good score at least. B/c I'm very much looking forward to the film itself. It sucks that he wont use the Silvestri theme for crucial scenes. I doubt he'll come up with anything that can rival Silvestri's either. IMO Silvestri's CA March was one of the better superhero themes of this decade and the last. It was far from generic and predictable unlike some of the current superhero themes & scores.

Silvestri's theme very effectively evokes both the WWII period as well as the good old American values that Steve Rogers lives by. If the theme feels like a bit of a throwback stylistically, it's certainly intentional.

Holy shit they replaced it with another generically farted out video game score.

Come back Alan, all is forgiven. I'm not much of a fan of the first score, but Jesus Christ it had more character than this gash.

What the hell happened to Jackman? Kick-Ass shown so much promise! But it seems he's only another jobbing composer after all, doing what is asked of him and only that. Ah well, never mind.

What the hell happened to Jackman? Kick-Ass shown so much promise! But it seems he's only another jobbing composer after all, doing what is asked of him and only that. Ah well, never mind.

That's one issue I have with him and maybe a few other of the newer composers. They are basically hacks with a solid degree of technical skill. But not much in the way of a personal voice or even signature style.

If whoever hires them wants something textural and synthetic, they provide, if the guy who's signing their cheque wants something more orchestral, they do that. It doesnt really seem to matter.

Now I understand that as a fledgeling composer someone like Jackman can't afford to turn down too much stuff, and there is a lot of competition out there. But it all sounds so indistinct.

But even JW had to slog through a decade of hack work in the 60's before finally becoming his own man, so I guess it's far from a new problem.

You see, it's not so much that the modern sound doesn't work. It's just that not many composers of the new generation can make it interesting. Not too mention personal voice issue you addressed. If you look at Patrick Doyle's Thor, for example, you can still see fingerprints of a composer (his later attempts are much less distinctive, I know).

Karol

it's rather sad that they cannot keep continuity score-wise in this universe.

Specially when they usually get a big name for the 1st films and then get second rate composers for the sequels, meaning the sequel composers are not "divas" and should be able and not insulted if they have to arrange other people's themes...