The 25 Greatest Film Composers In Cinema History

filmmusic

No Mancini, no Korngold, no Waxman, no Alfred Newman. The absence of Alex North in particular is embarassing if we're talking about importance to the direction of the art form. I mean, I don't wish to insult anyone in particular, but to suggest that the achievements of a few of these names are "more important" than his seems just objectively wrong.

The list is false! False I tell you! I too have a list but I will never share it with you!

It's just a personal list of who THAT guy thinks is the 25 greatest. No more, no less and no need to get worked up about.

However, if he had phrased his list as 'top 25 most influential' or something, we could indeed scrutinize it with a more objective mindset.

Don't agree with this list, but I can see that this guy is aiming more at the film-goer audience than the film music fan niche.

Having said that, the omission of North, Korngold and Rozsa discredits that theory too.

Don't agree with this list, but I can see that this guy is aiming more at the film-goer audience than the film music fan niche.

Having said that, the omission of North, Korngold and Rozsa discredits that theory too.

'Casual film-goer' sounds right.

It's just a personal list of who THAT guy thinks is the 25 greatest.

Well, the article did say 'we.'

But this isn't just any guy - he's one of the top authorities on film composers. At least, I assume he is, since his words from this blog have been incorporated directly into the Wikipedia articles for Delerue, Tiomkin, Ilayaraja and Legrand (at least).

But this isn't just any guy - he's one of the top authorities on film composers. At least, I assume he is, since his words from this blog have been incorporated directly into the Wikipedia articles for Delerue, Tiomkin, Ilayaraja and Legrand (at least).

What?

Well, anyone can edit Wikipedia, so maybe he edited it?

No Poledouris? Or did I scan the list too quickly?

Robert Rodriguez (composer for SPY KIDS and SPY KIDS 2: CITY OF LOST DREAMS) deserved to be in the top 5. I'm not sure why Herrmann's so far up there. All he ever did was music for PSYCHO and KILL BILL...

Robert Rodriguez (composer for SPY KIDS and SPY KIDS 2: CITY OF LOST DREAMS) deserved to be in the top 5.

Did you also forget to add the "Wink! Wink!" smiley?

You'll get to used to Brandon's sense of irony. Rivals Alan's.

Robert Rodriguez (composer for SPY KIDS and SPY KIDS 2: CITY OF LOST DREAMS) deserved to be in the top 5.

Did you also forget to add the "Wink! Wink!" smiley?

No, but I did forget to add THE ADVENTURES OF SHARK BOY AND LAVA GIRL 3D in the parentheses.

The list is interesting. In no way should it be taken seriously, for obvious reasons. I'm guessing the author, Mr. Brian White, has recently been introduced to film music or is taking a film history 101 course at college (which gives him the authority to rank film composers, of course). The entry for #9, Ilayaraja, is the most interesting choice. Mr. White clearly had no knowledge of that composer prior to writing the article, but thought he'd throw an Indian into the mix for a touch of class. Commendable. Nothing wrong with it. Good effort.

It's also funny seeing Thomas Newman there, but Papa Newman didn't make the cut.

The entry for #9, Ilayaraja, is the most interesting choice. Mr. White clearly had no knowledge of that composer prior to writing the article, but thought he'd throw an Indian into the mix for a touch of class. Commendable. Nothing wrong with it.

Good effort.

ha ha haa

JOHN WILLIAMS GREATER THAN ILAYARAJA ??

JOHN WILLIAMS is very very great .....and maybe 30 times above the others like hans zimmer , jerry goldsmith etc.....

but in front of ilayaraja , he is no where.............

i am big fan of John williams and ilayaraja.....and I got deep knowledge on both................and with that knowledge i am saying john williams musical output is nothing when compared to divine , creative and expressive music of ilayaraja.....

JUST SAY U DONNO ILAYARAJA.....but without knowledge dont even think of ridiculing him....coz when u attain the knowledge u feel guilty ............ha h aha

but i wud agree ...with adam.....john williams compositions are presented with much sophisticated orchestra.....thats only output of musical notes .....its just like u r using sophisticated technology to play a tune whereas someone is creating music on hand made drums.....but see the compostions ...the ORIGINAL notes put on document ....dont compare coke and water......and if Ilayarajas heart touching notes are presented with symphonic orchestras ......then the fallen WTC will stand on its own ...ha ha haa......

ilayarajas compositions are like part of nature......

like a flower , like a honey bee hive, or child born....

and if u talk about quantity .....the music stamena ......then if JW has scored 10 points then ilayaraja has scored some 2000 points....

JOHN WILLIAMS IS SOPHISTICATES SUB SUB SUBSET OF ILAYARAAJA

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6161

Sorry, I wasn't calling Ilayaraja a random Indian. I just meant that, judging by the list, Mr. White doesn't know too much about film music, and probably included Ilayaraja following a quick Google search. The blurb about him looks like it was copied and pasted from the back of a "Best Of" album.

I took a look at that thread, Sharky. Nice to see the spotlight on him. I was aware of his music, but most people I know probably wouldn't know who the hell he is. Actually, I didn't even think he'd be popular enough for a "Greatest Film Composer" thread on a John Williams fan site.

As they say... "you people seem to know your shit."

Can't find any music score of him.

The only thing I can find is these songs... :sarcasm:

edit: ok, i found one..................................

(actually you can hear more in this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6chucmJi9ixYBBIt53LqlQ/videos)

Korngold, Rosza, Alfred Newman and Alex North are missing? Hans Zimmer shouldnt be on the list IMO. Lion King and The Rock are his only memorable scores the rest just lacks the artistic qualities to survive the ages. It wasnt meant for that, also. Anyhow, 'greatness' wasnt defined in this list so anyway it is pointless.

Typical!

You think his Dark Knight score, regardless of how popular and effective it might be, will be remembered in 50 years? Btw I do respect the man and his business.

Yeah. Popularity and effectiveness tend to have that result.

It is a prodcut of this time IMO. It is popular and effective now. Great themes on the other hand DO have that result.

That's why I think popularity and effectiveness are no good indicator for how timeless a score will be. Artistical quality, and good themes are far better indicators. Vertigo doesnt get remembered because it was popular then, but because of its great orchestration and its musical craft.

Yeah. Popularity and effectiveness tend to have that result.

It is a prodcut of this time IMO. It is popular and effective now. Great themes on the other hand DO have that result.

No problem then - Batman has a great theme.

That's why I think opularity and effectiveness are no good indicator for how timeless a score will be. Artistical quality, and giood themes are far better indicators.

Then how come Jerry's Medicine Man isn't much mentioned these days?

You're ridiculizing this discusssion.

You cant deny Korngold has proven his timelessness already. His music gets recorded and performed by the greatest artists until today.

Is that what you think I am?

You seem not overly well-informed about film and music history but cite current blockbusters and their scores suspiciously often. So i do the math and say you either are part of a demographic group under 25 or just ignorant.