Return of the Jedi

Balahkay

Listening to "ROTJ" is rather like watching a thunderstorm: lots of rumblings, and flashes of brilliance.

"Approaching The Death Star" is brilliant, and "Brother/Sister, Father/Son" is absolutely exquisite. The music that scores part of Luke and Vader's final duel (the bit with all the sliding strings and what sounds like a vibraphone) is probably the best "under-scored" piece of music JW has ever written.

I only wish that the CD sounded better than it does.

Still, there's no denying the power of the score, and it fully deserved its Oscar nod.

Its highlights are among Williams' finest moments, but I find that it also has more dull moments than its predecessors.

Nonsense. These are simply signposts of Williams's maturing craft.

Because mature=boring? I just thought I'd check, just in case.

analyse, sorry.

SPELLING NAZI! (since Joey's not here, someone has to say it :P)

I thought you would be happy to be corrected in this case. ;)

Mmm does 'analise' have any innuendo or something, then? totally unintended...

Its highlights are among Williams' finest moments, but I find that it also has more dull moments than its predecessors.

Which are the dull moments for you?

A lot of the quieter underscore doesn't hold my attention the way the quieter underscore does in the first two scores, although that may be partly due to the fact that there's just more of it.

Regardless, I don't want to overstate the difference in quality - it's still an amazing score.

^ Yes, the music underscoring Luke's initial dialogue with Jabba is uncharacteristically drab. It really just treads water until the. Rancor sequence kicks in.

I can't say I care for the practice of re-quoting segments from ANH, such as the "Here They Come" for the Death Star Battle. Although they do fit and work well, they sort of lose points for originality (and set a bad precedent for the Prequels and KOTCS.)

If I had to characterize the overall tone of the score...there's a lot of emphasis on horn blasts...not necessarily "brassy", but Empire had more of a shits about to hit the fan texture with all the low strings in the corridors of Cloud City and such. There's more brass dissonance in Jedi that is less appealing to me.

But those are just picking nits. It's a 9.5 out of 10 for me.

^ Yes, the music underscoring Luke's initial dialogue with Jabba is uncharacteristically drab. It really just treads water until the. Rancor sequence kicks in.

I love the quote of Jabba's theme (AKA Jabba More Sinister Insert) with the flanging Moog bass.

@1:39