John Williams' synth phase of the 90s

indy4

I'm curious what we think of the way JW used synths in the 90s. While they were always a part of his vocabularly, they became much more prominent starting in 1990, in scores like Home Alone and Presumed Innocent. I'd say this lasted up through Sleepers in 1996; after that synths started to take more of background role, supporting the rest of the orchestra more than anything else (even though they are still given some exposed features, especially in sci-fi source music).

If we look at the following scores from the period 1990-96, I think most would agree that synths get more prominent feature here than they do in the average JW work:

Home Alone

Presumed Innocent

JFK

HA2: Lost in New York

Jurassic Park

Nixon

Sleepers

Any speculation as to why this phase was so short? Was it due to demands of directors/producers? Or was JW just trying to experiment a bit? And do you see this as impacting JW's use of synth after 1996?

Random question that's only tangentially related: does JW ever use synth in his concert works?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just glad it ended before Williams went and inserted a god-awful electric guitar riff smack dab in the middle of a chase cue or something. That would have been terrible!

I'm curious what we think of the way JW used synths in the 90s. While they were always a part of his vocabularly, they became much more prominent starting in 1990, in scores like Home Alone and Presumed Innocent. I'd say this lasted up through Sleepers in 1996; after that synths started to take more of background role, supporting the rest of the orchestra more than anything else (even though they are still given some exposed features, especially in sci-fi source music).

To me, Presumed Innocent and Home Alone ("Setting the Trap") strike me as a nod to the prevailing winds at the time. And then certain stylistic predilections tend to recur among scores of a given period.

Some of the Nixon/Sleepers stuff is reprised briefly in Stepmom. In the 2000s he largely reserved their more prominent use for Spielberg's SF films.

He, he...."synth phase" is taking it a bit too far, I think. Sure, he's used them very discretely in his scores, but very rarely have they received a prominent place in the expression (in fact, some of his 80s scores may be closer in that regard than the 90's efforts).

It's more the combination of the movie scoring Zeitgeist at that time, along with the increased bit depth and more organic (to early 90s ears) sounds available with sample-based synthesis. I'd actually extend that period a bit, and have it start with BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY and maybe even THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK. That for me is the begining of modern Williams. The final years of his collaborations with Herb Spencer and the arrival of John Neufield.

I think John likes synthesizers, especially because of the way they can add different colors to the orchestra. The idea that he only uses them because directors demand it seems so very unlikely to me. The reason why he doesn't use synths in his 'serious' work is because, well, he wants to be taken seriously ;). Let's face it, the place of the synthesizer in the classic orchestra or 'classical music' is not a given.

Alex

So your argument has now changed to Williams not wanting to use synths at all, instead of him fearing he won't be taken seriously if he does? Then, as I said, what about Soundings?

So your argument has now changed to Williams not wanting to use synths at all, instead of him fearing he won't be taken seriously if he does? Then, as I said, what about Soundings?

Changed? I didn't change a thing.

I don't know Soundings but if it incorporates synthesizers (and typical synthetic sounds, not acoustic emulations) then he apparently isn't afraid to use them.

I don't know Soundings but if it incorporates synthesizers (and typical synthetic sounds, not acoustic emulations) then he apparently isn't afraid to use them.

I'm honestly not sure if the piece uses synths or recordings of unique acoustic instruments. Judge for yourself.

Deep pad and reversed chime-like sounds are all synthetic.

I didn't hear the "deep pad" but the ringing tubes, bells or chimes sound like (reversed) 'samples' of a real instrument. Indeed, it's so atypical and unrecognizable for a synth that people here are surprised or even question that a synth is used. And even if this is the only instance where Williams has used a 'synthesizer' in his 'serious' work, you must admit it's still a very cautious attempt, not to be compared with more patent synthesizer sounds in his scores. Soundings is a relatively new work, isn't it? Personally, when overlooking his career as a contemporary classical composer, I wouldn't call him someone who wasn't afraid (or interested) of using the synthesizer.

Alex

I didn't hear the "deep pad"

I meant the low pedal note. If you can't hear it, it's a problem with your speakers or phones.

Personally, when overlooking his career as a contemporary classical composer, I wouldn't call him someone who wasn't afraid (or interested) of using the synthesizer.

Too many double negatives. Rephrase that.