Bruce Broughton's YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES - NEW! 2019 3CD Intrada Edition

Jay

Roger has announced that Intrada will have a new release of Young Sherlock Holmes on Tuesday, April 1st (they will begin taking orders on Monday, March 31st sometime between 7-8pm EST) right here.

But even better, our very own Olivier Soudé (EhTar), through the website underscores.fr, has revealed it is a 2CD set, and has the track list as well as sound samples!

Here is the article, which also contains several paragraphs about the film and score. Check it out!

http://www.underscores.fr/index.php/2014/03/news-young-sherlock-holmes-chez-intrada/

(Note: Scroll past the French to get to the English)

young-sherlock-holmes-cd.jpg

CD1

01 The First Victim (02:57)

02 The Old Hat Trick (01:45)

03 Main Title (02:01)

04 Watson’s Arrival (01:03)

05 The Bear Riddle (00:46)

06 Library Love / Waxflatter’s First Flight (02:54)

07 Fencing With Rathe (01:07)

08 The Glass Soldier (03:22)

09 Solving The Crime (04:54)

10 Second Attempt (01:11)

11 Cold Revenge (04:08)

12 Waxflatter’s Death (03:38)

13 The Hat (01:21)

14 Holmes And Elizabeth - Love Theme (01:58)

Total Time: 33:36

CD2

01 Getting The Point (06:25)

02 Rame Tep (03:06)

03 Pastries And Crypts (06:44)

04 Discovered By Rathe (05:05)

05 To Cragwitch’s (01:32)

06 The Explanation (01:48)

07 Cragwitch Goes Again (01:23)

08 It’s You! (06:17)

09 Waxing Elizabeth (03:37)

10 Temple Fire (03:24)

11 Rathe’s Escape (Revised Version) (04:04)

12 Duel And Final Farewell (05:41)

13 The Riddle Solved & End Credits (06:27)

14 Ytrairom Spelled Backwards (00:48)

The Extras

15 Main Title (Film Version) (01:42)

16 Belly Dancer (01:02)

17 Waxing Elizabeth (Chorus) (03:01)

18 Waxing Elizabeth (Orchestra) (03:37)

19 Rathe’s Escape (Original Version) (04:03)

20 God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen (Arr. Bruce Broughton) (01:06)

Total Time: 70:07

Grand total time is 1:43:43

UPDATE: Intrada has now released a new 3CD version in 2019.  See here!

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24269-bruce-broughtons-young-sherlock-holmes-new-2019-3cd-intrada-edition/&do=findComment&comment=1630521

I'm a Broughton fan, but this one has never left that much of an impression. Is it really that great?

Hopefully expansion of the rest of the Harry Potter scores will soon follow. ;)

1st of April, eh?

Never heard a note of it. Any good?

Karol

It is kind of like Harry Potter meets Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. The main theme is delightfully spirited affair and the whole score just has that kiddies adventure movie vibe of 1980's going on. Surprisingly harsh suspense and action segments. Some nice choral writing (Carl Orff nods inevitable) and some great action setpieces towards the end. Melodic and infectuous stuff. Among Broughton's best in my opinion.

Yes yes yes :w00t:

I waited for this for a looong time. Now I only need "Land before time" (which can be bought as an mp3 album in the US - but guess where not), and I have most of the classics I still wanted...

That bad, huh? ;)

OK I'll blind-buy it based on that recommendation. Be warned!

Karol

Just take a listen to the video chuckster posted or the clips to get an idea of what this score sounds.

Been wanting this one for a long time. One of my favorite 80s scores for sure! Glad I never tried to buy a physical copy of the promo release that has always sold for outrageous prices. Especially since this has improved sound and some alternates from the sessions, and tracks with clean endings. Also love the cover art they chose! Here's hoping for some awesome liner notes! :D

Any Broughton is a safe bet. If he were still writing for movies today he would really be the only film composer that could truly hold a candle to Williams. Luckily we still have him writing in the concert world, and his music is very well respected.

I don't know about recordings, though some can be heard on his website. I've played his horn sonata, and his trumpet solo Excursions is working its way very quickly into standard recital repertoire. He's a name that people know, and many of them not for his film music.

I never had listened to a single note from Young Sherlock Holmes, although I was aware it was very popular. The sound clips and the live video posted have sold me, it sounds fantastic

Here is a spreadsheet I put together comparing the original LP to the 2002 Intrada 2CD Promo to the new 2014 Intrada MAF release

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10jF4xhO7cGUk3KMgI1vBw2hva8ibrt81k_fQBe3FCz8/pubhtml#

Here is a spreadsheet I put together comparing the original LP to the 2002 Intrada 2CD Promo to the new 2014 Intrada MAF release

So basically it's identical to the promo, plus two alternates, two apparent source cues and two half mixes? I'm sure the sound will be improved though - not that the promo sounds bad (as far as I recall, it's just the choral cues that have a significantly higher amount of hiss than the rest of the score).

This might sell out quickly. Do we know the numbers?

So basically it's identical to the promo, plus two alternates, two apparent source cues and two half mixes? I'm sure the sound will be improved though - not that the promo sounds bad (as far as I recall, it's just the choral cues that have a significantly higher amount of hiss than the rest of the score).

The promo included a number of LP-sourced cues; I would expect this release to be an improvement.

Don't recall ever seeing this movie. Though I've seen bits of it when I was younger. Might have to check it out before ordering the soundtrack. And I'm an admirer of some of Broughton's scores. I've heard nothing but praise for his Young Sherlock Holmes. And good to know this will be unlimited, b/c I'm not going to be able to jump on this soon. Heck I still haven't been able to get my hands on Intrada's own Conan The Barbarian. Though if both were limited I probably would've in a heartbeat.

Don't recall ever seeing this movie. Though I've seen bits of it when I was younger. Might have to check it out before ordering the soundtrack. And I'm an admirer of some of Broughton's scores. I've heard nothing but praise for his Young Sherlock Holmes. And good to know this will be unlimited, b/c I'm not going to be able to jump on this soon. Heck I still haven't been able to get my hands on Intrada's own Conan The Barbarian. Though if both were limited I probably would've in a heartbeat.

It's a fun piece, notable for the first use of a CGI interacting with an actor (the now-famous "stained-glass man").

Nick Rowe, and Alan Cox acquit themselves well, and there is fine support from Anthony Higgins (at least he doesn't drive off of a cliff!), Nigel Stock ,and Freddie Jones. It will only be a footnote in the annals of cinema, but as footnotes go, it could be worse...

Doug had this to say on the Intrada forums about this release:

Brief info: Previous YSH album was presented from 1/4" two-track mixes made in London in 1985. New release is presented from actual 2" 24-track session masters. And the new sound? It doesn't get any better.
--Doug

And:

T. Newman Fan wrote:
The track list looks excellent. The chorus-only and orchestra-only versions of "Waxing Elizabeth" are knockout extras.

Random tidbit: The orchestra-only version of Waxing Elizabeth is actually a pretty cool extra as Bruce scored the cue with several of the choral parts actually doubled in the clarinets and French horns. When divorced from the choir, the piece still (mostly) works on its own. And hearing the various orchestral details so exposed is a joy!

Another random tidbit: The choir-only version is there just because we didn't want any of the London singers to feel left out. icon_biggrin.gif
--Doug

While I didn't grow up with the movie, I had heard about it from The Making Of Jurassic Park documentary when they talked about the CGI stain-glass knight, and showed a brief clip of it. It wasn't until I had a job at my video store at the time that I got to check it out and really liked it. It was written by Chris Columbus (director of the first two Potter films) during his awesome script writing phase in the 80s (Gremlins, Goonies, etc). Its funny that its been called "Harry Potter without spells" since there are some odd similarities between the story here and what would eventually be Harry Potter. There is a blonde boy named Dudley who looks and acts like Draco Malfoy. Watson resembles Potter quite a bit (if a bit rounder). The dark hooded/cloaked people resemble Death Eaters or even Dementors in a way. The dark fantasy elements resemble something that would fit right at home in any Potter story (although in Potter it would all be real). Watson and Holmes are attending a boarding school in England that gives a little Hogwarts vibe at times. The whole plot involves the two of them sneaking around the school at times, and the villains aare within the school's walls that confront them eventually. They fly in a "flying contraption" that doesn't bode very well for them, almost hits Big Ben, and then crashes (the flying car in Potter did both of these things as well).There is a bit of a "dueling club" of sorts, but instead of spell-casting it is fencing. And then there's the score itself, which sounds high-fantasy and dark all in one, which could play very comfortably next to at least the first two Potter scores that Williams did. There are probably more similarities than this, even.

Honestly, I think a lot of these similarities are a little more that coincidences in regards to how they feel just like at least the first two Potter stories. But all of these similarities were those in the book as well, not just transferred to the screen. I joke around a lot and wonder if Chris Columbus heard about the Potter film rights being sold, called up Rowling, and told her, "I know what you did. So you better at least get me to make these films, or I will expose the hell out of you."

INTRADA Announces:

10003908_10152033042202169_1411649814_n.

YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES

Composed and Conducted by BRUCE BROUGHTON

INTRADA MAF 7131

Composer Bruce Broughton was relatively new to Hollywood when he was tapped to score Young Sherlock Holmes, having worked mostly in television for the first decade of his career. Director Barry Levinson’s kinetic film, with its fluid pace and wide variety of tones, presented him with a fresh, yet daunting challenge. Broughton rose to the occasion with a stunning, wall-to-wall symphonic work that made a deep impression on soundtrack fans and industry professionals alike, earning a Grammy nomination for Best Instrumental Composition and winning a Saturn Award for Best Music from the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films.

The original MCA Records soundtrack album, released on LP and cassette, received high marks in Billboard, who praised it as “a traditional orchestral score, which Broughton infuses with both dash and sweetness.” Remarkably, however, the MCA album never made the transition to a commercial CD. This, coupled with the fact that a great deal of outstanding material did not appear on that album, has made the present release one of the most eagerly anticipated of all time. To present Broughton’s entire score, including alternates, Intrada obtained the 2” 24-track 30 ips session masters recorded by Eric Tomlinson at EMI Abbey Road Studios in London during September 1985 and vaulted in pristine condition at Paramount Pictures. New digital stereo mixes were made at Intrada under the composer’s supervision. The resulting audio is crisp, clear and detailed. The liner notes also contain a new, spirited interview with Bruce Broughton.

Young Sherlock Holmes was the brainchild of three primary parents: writer Chris Columbus, executive, producer Steven Spielberg and director Barry Levinson. The central premise of Young Sherlock Holmes suggests that Holmes and Watson did not first meet as adults in a chemical laboratory at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, but as adolescents. In the story, a series of baffling murders puts young Holmes on the trail of an Egyptian cult practicing human sacrifice in the bowels of London. Dismissed by the police and maligned by his peers, the budding detective sets out with only a few close allies to unravel the plot—culminating in a fiery confrontation with an evil mastermind, bent on revenge.

INTRADA MAF 7131

Retail Price: $24.99

Available NOW

For track listing and sound samples, please visit

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8569/.f

Bruce Broughton

Label: Intrada MAF 7131

Date: 1985

Time: 105:06

Tracks: 34

At last! The 2-CD premiere of Bruce Broughton's complete, wildly popular soundtrack for Steven Spielberg's presentation of Young Sherlock Holmes, directed by Barry Levinson, written by Chris Columbus, starring Nicholas Rowe. Though Broughton has such monumental scores as the Oscar-nominated Silverado and thundering Tombstone to his credit, it is this rousing, tuneful and dynamic music for young Holmes and his first big adventure that brings Broughton the most attention amongst fans. Understandable! Levinson's film remains a timeless classic of young adventure and spirited energy, melded with danger and a touch of tragedy. Broughton underscores two thirds of the picture with his finest melodies and most vivid derring-do. Ideas seem boundless: the main adventure theme, Holmes music that plays throughout as he works on solving the riddles, a gentle love theme, music for Waxflatter and his flying invention, the villain's motif, a dueling theme for the sword fights... and a massive tour-de-force for orchestra and chorus that underlines various sacrifices within the pyramid. All of these ideas weave in and about, sometimes one playing on top of another, some times each playing in subtle disguise, other times all playing in powerful fashion. The harmonic vernacular is dazzling, moving effortlessly from the 19th century England period setting into intense and ferocious, complicated 20th century idioms. Quite simply, Broughton's music for Young Sherlock Holmes serves as a masterpiece in film scoring. Broughton originally selected about 36-minutes of music for the original 1985 album. To present the entire 90-minute work plus several alternates and "extras", Intrada was fortunate to have access to the actual 2" 24-track scoring session masters, housed at Paramount in pristine condition. (Fans familiar with the earlier LP may enjoy knowing that those tracks appear now in their full length, unedited versions as recorded and not in their truncated LP counterparts.) The stereo sonics are stunning, even by today's standards. Through the combined courtesies of Paramount Pictures, Geffen Records and UMG, this magnificent complete soundtrack finally becomes a long-awaited reality! Bruce Broughton conducts the Sinfonia of London. 2-CD set, now available in the Intrada MAF series.

Disc 1

01. The First Victim (2:57)

02. The Old Hat Trick (1:45)

03. Main Title (2:01)

04. Watson’s Arrival (1:03)

05. The Bear Riddle (0:46)

06. Library Love/Waxflatter’s First Flight (2:54)

07. Fencing With Rathe (1:07)

08. The Glass Soldier (3:22)

09. Solving The Crime (4:54)

10. Second Attempt (1:11)

11. Cold Revenge (4:08)

12. Waxflatter’s Death (3:38)

13. The Hat (1:21)

14. Holmes And Elizabeth – Love Theme (1:58)

CD 1 Time: 33:36

Disc 2

01. Getting The Point (6:25)

02. Rame Tep (3:06)

03. Pastries And Crypts (6:44)

04. Discovered By Rathe (5:05)

05. To Cragwitch’s (1:32)

06. The Explanation (1:48)

07. Cragwitch Goes Again (1:23)

08. It’s You! (6:17)

09. Waxing Elizabeth (3:37)

10. Temple Fire (3:24)

11. Ehtar’s Escape (Revised Version) (4:04)

12. Duel And Final Farewell (5:41)

13. The Riddles Solved And End Credits (6:27)

14. Ytrairom Spelled Backwards (0:48)

The Extras

15. Main Title (Film Version) (1:42)

16. Belly Dancer (1:02)

17. Waxing Elizabeth (Chorus) (3:01)

18. Waxing Elizabeth (Orchestra) (3:37)

19. Ehtar's Escape (Original Version) (4:03)

20. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen

(Arr. Bruce Broughton) (1:06)

CD 2 Time: 70:07

Ordered, too. $ 37.99 ... :-(

At least, thanks to the weak dollar, only 28 € at the moment.

In any case, so looking forward to this :-)

I'm going to wait until MovieMusic gets their order by the 8th. Being a California resident, I tend to try to avoid ordering from either Intrada or LaLaLand directly to avoid California's 9% sales tax since they are both California-based, plus MovieMusic has better shipping prices. The only time I ever order from them anymore is if it is something super-limited or like an autograph copy. It sucks to have to try and be this patient to wait longer though. But for me these days every penny counts.

I'm going to wait until MovieMusic gets their order by the 8th. Being a California resident, I tend to try to avoid ordering from either Intrada or LaLaLand directly to avoid California's 9% sales tax since they are both California-based, plus MovieMusic has better shipping prices. The only time I ever order from them anymore is if it is something super-limited or like an autograph copy. It sucks to have to try and be this patient to wait longer though. But for me these days every penny counts.

Ah for Europeans it is a bit more expensive from the get go whatever retailer you use. I used SAE as there were a couple of other CDs I wanted to get at the same time with this release. :)

Okay, I caved in. For whatever reason this score really makes me not want to have to wait the extra time to get it. Sorry, Movie Music, heh. I hate having to pay an extra $3 just for some more immediate gratification, but this is one I have wanted for a long time. I won't lie, even though I have had footwarmers of the promo album for sometime, to just finally have it AND in much better sound (did you guys hear those clips?), I just can't wait any longer. I'm weak for this score!

Now if only they could release the film on BluRay!

After listening to the choir only track (disc 2, track 17) I must conclude that the choir is NOT from "Waxing Elizabeth", but from "Rame Tep" (disc 2, track 2).