John Ottman - X-Men: Days of Future Past

Jay

X2 isnt that good of a score.

I swore you had said at one point you liked it, guess I was wrong. X2 is enjoyable for me, at least in complete form.

Days Of Future Past score sounds nothing like X2, aside from him reprising the Main Titles and End Credits from X2.

how odd

why put up the album version of a track when you are also going to put up the film version of it?

listening experience?

Okay this is quite strange- so the Chinese version of the film seems to use the album version of the main title, while the rest are using a different version...

Hey, I recognize your name from "another" place....

I actually thought the score fared much better in the film than on album. It felt natural.

They re-scored the scene at the very last minute, but some foreign versions (Vietnamese and Chinese) were already completed. And so the original cue remained in those.

Karol

They re-scored the scene at the very last minute, but some foreign versions (Vietnamese and Chinese) were already completed. And so the original cue remained in those.

Karol

Interesting, makes me wonder what other cues were last-minute changes...

I like the score. I could do without the more "RCP" elements of the score but it's decent enough. Love Xavier's theme though.

Yeah, I think Xavier's theme is probably the best theme Ottman composed for either of his X Men installments. It's just a shame that the track devoted to it is so bland. He develops it wonderfully in "Join Me"(probably the highlight of the score) and in the end credits arrangement.

I like the track devoted to it but it is a bit understated. I agree that the other two you mentioned are better though.

Xavier's theme as heard on the album is kind of awful I think. The whole track is like a watered down version of Zimmer's Time. But I remember liking the way it develops in the film.

• 1 month later...

Turns out the X-Men DOFP OST was pressed wrong (and I assume the digital version is too): Tracks 16 through 19 aren't in the right order that the composer intended and that the track listing would indicate.

I'm mortified to discover that cues 16 thru 19 are in the wrong order and labelled wrong on my X-Men Days of Future Past album!
For those who care.... In the order on the album (which was NOT the way it was supposed to be heard), the correct cue names should be:
16. Do What You Were Made For
17. I Have Faith in You/Goodbyes
18. Join Me
19. The Battle Begins
I was going though all the extra cues that weren't released on the album, and through my cross-checking, I discovered this. My fault for not proofing it more carefully. Motherfk I mean why would I put "The Battle Begins" as the 2nd to last cue? UGH.

https://www.facebook.com/john.ottman.902/posts/10152174750446479?fref=nf

Well, he was busy working on editing the film probably down to the wire. I can understand how he probably just glanced at the tracklist and didn't notice a mistake. Probably one in a hundred things that were on his plate that day. Not to mention his good friend (and maybe more if rumors are true) was going through some nasty things at that point.

He cuts the film without any music, but has to put temp score - for executives to see and for previews. That, of course, informs some... musical influences.

Karol

I don't think he's got much time to do demos, from what I gather. The double job routine is apparently not an ideal situation. His scoring schedule almost ends up being very tight.

Karol

• 8 months later...

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned somewhere but does anyone know where you can find the full version of the song used in the opening titles to this film without the sound effects? A shorter cut version of Ottman's song is included on the soundtrack as "The Future/Main Titles" but it is not the full track.

That would be called a score cue, not a song.

An expanded version of the score leaked but was removed from the place where all those things get posted. I'm surprised it hasn't been re upped by someone else.

That would be called a score cue, not a song.

An expanded version if the score leaked but was removed from the place where all those things get posted. I'm surprised it hasn't been re upped by someone else.

It has been re-upped. Twice. The mods for that place have been taking it down, supposedly at John Ottman's (indirect) behest.

Anyways, I don't know if that score leak had the version of the main titles CC is looking for, anyway. can anyone confirm?

About the cue in question:

Okay this is quite strange- so the Chinese version of the film seems to use the album version of the main title, while the rest are using a different version...

Karol

Karol

Interesting, makes me wonder what other cues were last-minute changes...

It's this one cue, actually. The studio executives didn't like the choir.

Karol

• 3 months later...

Source: http://filmmusicreporter.com/2015/06/24/x-men-days-of-future-past-the-rogue-cut-soundtrack-details/

x-men-days-of-future-past.jpg

Tracklist:

Disc 1:

1. Main Theme
2. Hope (Xavier’s Theme)
3. The Future
4. Time’s Up
5. I Found Them
6. Xavier’s Plan
7. Rules of Time
8. Trask Hearing – A New Era
9. Saigon – Logan Arrives