Omni Music Publishing Wish List

RedBard

With the release of Batman in full score and previously Edward Scissorhands in full score, Omni Music Publishing is proving itself to be a pioneer in selling professionally-bound full scores of films.

Those two scores are what I believe to be the tip of the iceberg as an invaluable resource for potential film composers, especially at institutes and universities who have film composing programs (I'm looking at you, UCLA). So it goes without saying that I have had a wish list for what I believe Omni should publish next for future film scores, and I personally feel like I'm not the only one here who feels that.

So I'm going to start things off. Full scores I would like to see from Omni in the future include:

Atlantis: The Lost Empire

How to Train Your Dragon

Back to the Future

The Rocketeer

I don't care who says my list is cheesy or uninspired, or that there are more interesting scores out there. If there are, go ahead and list them. Just remember:

De gustibus non est disputandum.

I hear that has exciting and innovative score instructions such as "place cat on synth keyboard and scratch behind ear or under chin, producing a rhythmic up-down paw motion" and "fart into microphone, then process."

I hear that has exciting and innovative score instructions such as "place cat on synth keyboard and scratch behind ear or under chin, producing a rhythmic up-down paw motion" and "fart into microphone, then process."

Wut?? :eek:

What cue is that?

A link, if you please.

You can get the " LOTR Symphony" score. I forget from which publishing house it comes from, but you can rent it for "perusal". You might have to pay a little bit for it and shipping or whatever, usually not much.

Problem is, most moments I really want in score form are not included in the symphonic presentation.

Yep, same here.

From what I've heard, Williams's scores are out of the question. At least while he's still with us.

Top of the non-Williams wishlist:

North:

A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE

VIVA ZAPATA!

CLEOPATRA

SPARTACUS

DRAGONSLAYER

Goldsmith:

CHINATOWN

CAPRICORN ONE

FIRST BLOOD

PAPILLON

TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING

DAMNATION ALLEY

Morricone:

Anything from the 60s, 70s or 80s would be a blessing

Morricone:

Anything from the 60s, 70s or 80s would be a blessing

Unfortunately, also these are out of question. Unless he changed his mind in the last few years.

For the wishlist, excluding Williams and Morricone, I add:

Korngold - The Adventures of Robin Hood

Rozsa - Ben Hur

Some scores by Herrmann like Vertigo and Marnie.

Zimmer - Gladiator (yes, I like many parts of this score)

Goldsmith - Alien, The Mummy, The River Wild

Steiner - Gone with the Wind

Jarre - Lawrence of Arabia

I would love all the Williams scores, but as Mr. Shark said, this is out of the question.

So, my list with the 5 most wanted scores would be something like this:

LEGEND (Goldsmith)

CONAN THE BARBARIAN (Poledouris)

BATMAN RETURNS (Elfman)

WILLOW (Horner)

BRAVEHEART (Horner)

• 4 weeks later...

Since it's been pretty much established that Williams and Morricone scores are off-limits,

The Lord of the Rings (Shore) - I can dream, can't I?

Patton (Goldsmith) - A friend told me this was released at one time, but I have nothing to back up that claim.

Apollo 13 (Horner) - I'd love even just to see "The Launch" and "Master Alarm."

The Cell (Shore) - The "visual" "manifesto" approach alone makes this interesting.

The Fountain (Mansell) - "Death Is the Road to Awe" makes my top 5 list for the last decade.

Kingdom of Heaven (Gregson-Williams) - Same goes for "The Battle of Kerak."

Islands in the Stream (Goldsmith)

October Sky (Isham)

The Departed (Shore)

Naked Lunch (Shore)

Cool Runnings (Zimmer)

The Land Before Time (Horner)

The Silence of the Lambs (Shore)

Sahara (Mansell)

Edge of Darkness (both the Shore and Corigliano versions)

Requiem for a Dream (Mansell)

Grand Piano (Reyes) - If you're not familiar with this, by all means check it out.

American History X (Dudley)

42 (Isham)

Persepolis (Bernet)

Eastern Promises (Shore)

House of Sand and Fog (Horner)

Halo 2 (O'Donnell/Salvatori)

Appaloosa (Beal)

The Hurt Locker (Beltrami)

The Hours (Glass)

The Lion in Winter (Barry)

Well, that was certainly a longer list than I intended it to be, but it can't hurt (maybe some of these might even see the light of day!)

• 5 months later...

Bump!

Seriously, this deserved a bump.

Omni Music Publishing must've been reading this list because look what just got released today (hint: 88 mph!) :

http://www.omnimusicpublishing.com/

Too bad it's only available in North America.

(Unless you consult me in a PM and I can facilitate an international delivery)

Bump!

Seriously, this deserved a bump.

Omni Music Publishing must've been reading this list because look what just got released today (hint: 88 mph!) :

http://www.omnimusicpublishing.com/

Too bad it's only available in North America.

(Unless you consult me in a PM and I can facilitate an international delivery)

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24505

• 3 weeks later...

Since it's been pretty much established that Williams and Morricone scores are off-limits,

I'm definitely in for the Shore ones (and wouldn't mind seeing a complete reissue of SOTL with remastered sound, chronological order and unreleased music as well, by the way). And speaking of Horner... how about TITANIC!!! :P

I'm definitely in for the Shore ones (and wouldn't mind seeing a complete reissue of SOTL with remastered sound, chronological order and unreleased music as well, by the way). And speaking of Horner... how about TITANIC!!! :P

It is one of the very few scores by Horner that I also would like to see, despite everything.

And anything by Goldsmith would be great!

• 4 years later...
On 10/30/2014 at 7:53 PM, tedfud said:

would love to see any classic goldsmith. ST TMP being very desirable .

A bit of "threadomancy" here!  I've recently attempted to acquire the rights to publish TMP, and I know Tim (Omni) has looked into Star Trek before as well.  At the moment though, I'm afraid it's like anything Williams - a hard "no".

Licensing is a really painful process, and it can seem pretty random as to whether it will be granted or not.  My most recent request, put in almost as a "this'll never get approved, but I'll ask just in case" received a response almost immediately (rare to begin with), and even more surprisingly was an affirmative.  Especially surprising as it contains the Star Wars Main Title and partial statements of The Force Theme, Imperial March and Carbon Freeze cues!

5 hours ago, chrissiddall said:

A bit of "threadomancy" here!  I've recently attempted to acquire the rights to publish TMP, and I know Tim (Omni) has looked into Star Trek before as well.  At the moment though, I'm afraid it's like anything Williams - a hard "no".

Licensing is a really painful process, and it can seem pretty random as to whether it will be granted or not.  My most recent request, put in almost as a "this'll never get approved, but I'll ask just in case" received a response almost immediately (rare to begin with), and even more surprisingly was an affirmative.  Especially surprising as it contains the Star Wars Main Title and partial statements of The Force Theme, Imperial March and Carbon Freeze cues!

Shame about Star Trek, that's probably top of the list for me. :(

Not in a rude way, but how in demand is Shadows of the Empire? What's your company? 

Just out of interest, if licensing sheet music is so expensive (I can't even be bothered to ask if there's a reasonable explanation for that), how does it work with Hal Leonard and the JW Signature Series? Do they need to give houses as collateral?

On 9/7/2019 at 4:28 PM, bollemanneke said:

Just out of interest, if licensing sheet music is so expensive (I can't even be bothered to ask if there's a reasonable explanation for that), how does it work with Hal Leonard and the JW Signature Series? Do they need to give houses as collateral?

HL have the exclusive publishing rights on JW music so pretty sure they have a manageable arrangement.  HL also administrate the licences for 90% of everything ever it seems!

On 9/6/2019 at 6:26 PM, Nick Parker said:

Shame about Star Trek, that's probably top of the list for me. :(

Not in a rude way, but how in demand is Shadows of the Empire? What's your company? 

Probably not very, but I would only do a very limited run (I can always apply for an extension if necessary).  It's a curiosity/obscurity, but it is Star Wars so I would think it would generate some interest on that fact alone.

www.chrissiddallmusic.com is my website although it needs a bit of updating.  I'm most active on www.facebook.com/chrissiddallmusic and my youtube channel at the moment (please subscribe - I need over 100 subs to change the URL from the default nonsense)!!  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbNEpAhHB7JyCuzd-QJAcWQ

• 2 weeks later...

Out of interest, would anyone consider "pre-ordering" a score, to help mitigate the upfront cost/risk that one faces from licensing and print costs?

Since the licensing fee is closely tied to the volume of the print run (the size of which is entirely publisher's choice), it would also be helpful in gauging the size of said required print run.

I've had a copyright application to publish one of James Horner's major scores accepted, and whilst it's almost a certainty that the interest will be strong, the upfront cost is pretty daunting!!

On 4/1/2014 at 2:47 PM, fommes said:

Anything but Desplat.

Fixed!

51 minutes ago, chrissiddall said:

Out of interest, would anyone consider "pre-ordering" a score, to help mitigate the upfront cost/risk that one faces from licensing and print costs?

Since the licensing fee is closely tied to the volume of the print run (the size of which is entirely publisher's choice), it would also be helpful in gauging the size of said required print run.

I've had a copyright application to publish one of James Horner's major scores accepted, and whilst it's almost a certainty that the interest will be strong, the upfront cost is pretty daunting!!

Make a crowdfunding campaign!

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

I will preorder something the day they finally allow these things to be released in a format that allows the buyer to listen to individual parts.

Not in this specific case, but I am actually exploring something close to this at the moment in terms of audio; both individual parts, and the reverse with a single part removed (so as to serve as a "play along" track).  I think I infer correctly that you're talking about them being released in a notation software format.  I'm afraid that is extremely unlikely to happen due to the amount of control you would have to manipulate the work.  You wouldn't for example expect a book publisher to release a novel in Word format.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I will preorder something the day they finally allow these things to be released in a format that allows the buyer to listen to individual parts.

I really don't know what you expect. That will never happen.

• 3 months later...
On 9/25/2019 at 7:47 AM, chrissiddall said:

I'd do that! Out of curiosity, are Menken's scores in the same realm of impossibility as JW's? I assume that any big Disney film would be. 

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Next year, you can look forward to some exciting releases including:
How To Train Your Dragon 2 - John Powell
A Streetcar Named Desire - Alex North
Plus, Omni will be releasing an Alan Menken score for a swashbuckling/fantasy Disney film. Also, look for an early 90s score written for a resplendent and gothic horror film.

Any guesses for the 90s score?