The Official "Favorite Contemporary Concert Composers" Thread

Dixon Hill

Among those living or recently (in or post-2000) deceased composers who write for the concert hall rather than the cinema (though feel free to count those who do both), whose work are you most fond of?

I'm very keen on Adams, Harrison, Ligeti, Whitacre, and Williams. Also Glass, Reich, Lauridsen, MacMillan, Pärt, Dutilleux, Nørgård, Murail, Dalbavie, Corigliano....

You may find the absence of both Goldsmith and Morricone conspicuous - I must confess that I don't really dig either of their work for the concert hall. Goldsmith's Music For Orchestra is prickly and angsty in a good way but not something I typically feel like revisiting. Morricone has a lovely piece called Vidi Aquam that is a frequent listen, though, far removed from his heavily experimental sound.

Not a fan of Whitacre, though I like the one Morricone concert work I've heard, and Goldsmith's Christus Apollo and Music for Orchestra. We agree on Dutilleux, MacMillan, Ligeti, Adams, Reich, Carter and Pärt.

Some more of my favourites:

• George Crumb
  • John Williams
  • Martin Matalon
  • Hans Zender
  • John Zorn
  • PIerre Boulez
  • Hugues Dufourt
  • Jonathan Harvey
  • Pascal Dusapin
  • Marc-André Dalbavie
  • Tristan Murail
  • Unsuk Chin
  • Gérard Grisey
  • Wolfgang Rihm
  • Georg Friedrich Haas
  • John Corigliano
  • Richard Rodney Bennett
  • William Kraft
  • Per Nørgård
  • Elliot Goldenthal
  • Marcus Paus
  • Emily Howard
  • Oliver Knussen
  • Peter Maxwell Davies
  • George Benjamin

Pierre Boulez and Elliott Carter top my list, with Gyorgy Ligeti, Luciano Berio and Iannis Xenakis close behind. Other names that spring to mind are Harrison Birtwistle, Thomas Adès, James Dillon and George Benjamin (the only composer who I've ever seen conduct his own music live, as far as I can remember).

I like some of Stockhausen's pieces - most particularly Gruppen and Mantra - but there's no denying he went a bit barmy.

I wouldn't call myself a fan of James MacMillan, but I get a kick out of Veni, Veni, Emmanuel as much as the next person...

Pierre Boulez and Elliott Carter top my list, with Gyorgy Ligeti, Luciano Berio and Iannis Xenakis close behind.

Forgot that Beiro and Xenakis died in the early 00s. Add them to my list, along with Fausto Romitelli.

Forgot that Beiro and Xenakis died in the early 00s.

I remember going to the local HMV very soon after Xenakis died, and they had a special sale of his music on! Today, if a Xenakis CD enters the premises, the security bleeper goes off and the guards will chase it out.

Haven't heard any Romitelli yet.

See the embedded video in my post.

Just have. I like it! Will look for more...

Forgot to mention I'm slowly getting into Thomas Adès.

Have you heard Tevot or the Violin Concerto yet?

ROTFLMAO

Until about 1:04, I thought there was just a striking coincidence at work.

Ah yes, Hovhaness and Picker. Nice!

I wouldn't call myself a fan of James MacMillan, but I get a kick out of Veni, Veni, Emmanuel as much as the next person...

His cello sonata is easily my favorite piece of his, and The Confession of Isobel Gowdie.

Not a fan of Whitacre, though I like the one Morricone concert work I've heard, and Goldsmith's Christus Apollo and Music for Orchestra. We agree on Dutilleux, MacMillan, Ligeti, Adams, Reich, Carter and Pärt.

Goldsmith's Music for Orchestra I can get into. But I'd enjoy Christus Apollo more if you took away the whispering... hell, take away all of the vocal parts.

Everybody forget about Ligeti?

Takemitsu and Pederecki? Also a fan of Pesson

Ligeti was mentioned a few times above. Takemitsu died in the '90s.

His cello sonata is easily my favorite piece of his, and accounts for most of my enjoyment of him.

For it's The Confession of Isobel Gowdie.

Takemitsu doesn't fit into the timeframe that I set, no. But he is one of my favorites, and is almost unmatched in how much I connect to his whole musical world.

Among those living or recently (post-2000) deceased composers who write for the concert hall rather than the cinema (though feel free to count those who do both), whose work are you most fond of?

I'm a huge fan of Luciano Berio (dead in 2003).

If you can listen to a live performance of Laborintus II iyou would have a larger than life experience.

Before 2000, the one and only Morton Feldman. Takemitsu piano work is nothing compared to Feldman's.

You guys have all basically already listed my favourites. Some other names to add to that list: Rautavaara, Tavener, Dutillieux, MacMillan.

I haven't heard any of Goldmsith's concert work. I'll check them out sometime soon.

Doh! This is why I hate threads that are just full of lists. Easy to miss names.

Anyone mention Nyman? Kilar? Penderecki? Gorecki?

Kilar's work in the concert hall bears resemblance to his film work in style.

I really enjoy his September Symphony.

There's also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDcxDNHFslw

Although there's only so much Nyman I can take at one time, I enjoy works like his trombone concerto and his piano concerto (which is based somewhat on what he wrote for The Piano).

Doh! This is why I hate threads that are just full of lists. Easy to miss names.

Ctrl-F

I'll bear that in mind. But it was a post made in rush, so I just quickly skimmed over some of the names mentioned here, and obviously missed a bunch.

I like Nyman and Kilar as film composers but haven't heard much of their concert stuff (aside from Exodus).

Has anyone mentioned Williams, Ligeti, or Hovhaness yet?

Who is this Williams fellow? Never heard of him. Is he any good?

I haven't heard anything by Gorecki myself other than the one obvious piece, but it never really appealed to me. There's a radio station here called "Classic FM" (which was invented by the government for use in enhanced interrogation procedures) and there was a period of several years throughout which, whenever I was skipping channels on the radio, the Symphony of Sorrowful Songs would be oozing out of Classic FM...

Any fans of that other John Adams?

I didn't know there was such a person until now. Thought you were talking about the late president's music!

I haven't heard anything by Gorecki myself other than the one obvious piece, but it never really appealed to me. There's a radio station here called "Classic FM" (which was invented by the government for use in enhanced interrogation procedures) and there was a period of several years throughout which, whenever I was skipping channels on the radio, the Symphony of Sorrowful Songs would be oozing out of Classic FM...

Hey that opening canon is an instant classic!

Have people mentioned rimarily wind band composers? John Mackey, Steve Bryant, frank ticheli, etc

I think being a Ticheli supporter will hurt one's reputation here. ;)

Any fans of that other John Adams? I like his "sound for the sake of sound" approach.

I've heard of him, but never heard his work. I really like the piece you posted though. Nice textures.

Have you heard the whole symphony? I find it particularly moving (especially the first movement), though I know not everyone is a fan of that minimlist sound in his later years. If you enjoy Part and such similar works, I think you might also enjoy his second symphony, which takes on the same vein with its consonant language.

Have people mentioned rimarily wind band composers? John Mackey, Steve Bryant, frank ticheli, etc

Nope. I don't listen to a lot of modern wind band composers outside of stuff I'm performing. Whitacre has written some great stuff for the concert band.

One of my personal favourite Tichelli pieces:

I think being a Ticheli supporter will hurt one's reputation here. ;)

In all fairness, he is an arrogant fellow though.

Agreed. The first movement doesn't particularly work for me either (my post was referring to the 3rd symphony when I mentioned 'first movement').

Williams and Goldenthal all the way for me.

Some other interesting composers too, like Corigliano, Pärt, Gorecki, or deceased 20th century composers like Hovhaness. But mostly, I haven't yet explored the world of contemporary classical music as well as I should have.

I'm going to stick my neck out and cite Peter Gabriel, and Tony Banks as modern composers, both in the soundtrack field ("Passion", "The Wicked Lady"), and classical/comtemporary ("Seven", "Ovo"). Love ''em both!

P.s. I'm going to stick my neck out even further, and say...Larry Fast, anyone?

I'm a Glass fan, through and through. Kind of just comes with being a New Yorker.

I'm going to stick my neck out and cite Peter Gabriel, and Tony Banks as modern composers, both in the soundtrack field ("Passion", "The Wicked Lady"), and classical/comtemporary ("Seven", "Ovo"). Love ''em both!

P.s. I'm going to stick my neck out even further, and say...Larry Fast, anyone?

Which reminds me, has anyone heard Paul's classical albums? Only heard them a few times but I recall being really interested by them.

Well I've explored some Rautavaara as I mentioned and I can't get into it. There are some elements of his language that click for me, but there's something... awkward about his harmony. Maybe I need to listen more, but for now I don't get anything from his music.

2015 update: I like him well enough now.

What is evrybody's thougths on Philip Glass? I really enjoy his work, but I could understand why some might not.

He's always been influential -- even more so than fellow minimalist superstars Reich, Nyman or Riley -- but these days, it's insane, especially on the film music scene.

Does anyone familiar with both Glass' recent symphonic style and Howard Shore's music feel that there's a striking similarity between the two?

I like Nyman and Kilar as film composers but haven't heard much of their concert stuff (aside from Exodus).

My favourite works of both composers are probably some of their concert works, although I love their film output as well.

For Nyman the trombone concerto (mentioned by KK) but also his saxophone/cello double concerto, the insane harpsichord concerto and the gorgeous MGV. He's also done lovely string quartets, and the one opera I've heard by him is great, too.

One of my favourites of his.

I've been mentioning Aaron Jay Kernis repeatedly during the last years. Anyone who likes the Matrix scores should give his symphonies a try.

Also, I think Michael Daugherty hasn't been mentioned yet?

Not really. Any examples you have in mind?

Well the opening of this, especially the section at 1:30, sounds very Shoreian to me. I feel like they have a similar neo-classical kind of harmonic language. Maybe it's something in the New York water.

What is evrybody's thougths on Philip Glass? I really enjoy his work, but I could understand why some might not.

Terrible and completely overrated.

I don't tend to adore any modern composers, but I will like 1 or 2 works here and there. Such as:

Rautavaara - Symphony No. 7

Górecki - Symphony No. 3 (get the Wit/Polish National version)

Adams - Harmonielehre

Higdon - Violin Concerto

Carter - Cello Concerto

Muhly - Bright Mass with Canons

EDIT: Forgot one. Dutilleux - Metaboles

Not really. Any examples you have in mind?

Well the opening of this, especially the section at 1:30, sounds very Shoreian to me. I feel like they have a similar neo-classical kind of harmonic language. Maybe it's something in the New York water.

Maybe...there is a slight resemblance between that and some of Shore's more minimalistic passages (which have become more frequent in his modern scores, as Gloin has pointed out). But I feel both composers largely differ in their harmonic language, and the kind of techniques they use.