About the 1980 Oscars...

Which one of these scores deserved the 1980 Oscar the most?  

53 members have voted

1. 1.

• ALTERED STATES - John Corigliano
    • THE ELEPHANT MAN - John Morris
    • THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams
    • FAME - Michael Gore
    • TESS - Philippe Sarde

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know any of the other scores, but TESB is one of the best scores EVER composed.

FAME winning is a travesty, and a crime against humanity.

Stefancos- who is 100% sure how this poll will go.  :mrgreen:

so was I but I was wrong the travesty continues.

Fame, I'm gonna live forever, I'm gonna learn how to fly, high

Funny stuff. I think at this point people are coming to grips that our #1 score did not get the recognition it deserved. I know I have.

But just think: the score to "Empire" goes into history as one of the greatest snubs in Oscar history. And what would we John Williams fans have to gripe out about these days if "Empire" had won?

Oh yeah, the travesties of "Superman," "Raiders," "Return of the Jedi," "Temple of Doom," "Empire of the Sun," "The Accidental Tourist," "Born on the Fourth of July," "Home Alone," "JFK," "Nixon," "Sleepers," "Amistad," "Saving Private Ryan," "Angela's Ashes," "The Patriot," "AI" and "Harry Potter" not winning an Oscar. :roll:

Oh yeah, the travesties of "Superman," "Raiders," "Return of the Jedi," "Temple of Doom," "Empire of the Sun," "The Accidental Tourist," "Born on the Fourth of July," "Home Alone," "JFK," "Nixon," "Sleepers," "Amistad," "Saving Private Ryan," "Angela's Ashes," "The Patriot," "AI" and "Harry Potter" not winning an Oscar.  :roll:

I think the travesty is true for Superman, ESB, Raiders, not for Jedi, maybe for TOD, not for Accidental T., or BOTFJ, not for HA, JFK, Nixon, Sleepers, Amistad. Certainly not for SPR, or AA, Patriot. FOTR over AI or HP is a travesty.

maybe for TOD,

If you ask me, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is light years better than Maurice's Jarre A Passage to India (which is still a good score).

I agree, I should have said yes a travesty for TOD, but I cannot remember what else was nominated, let alone win. Thanks for the correction.

To be honest, I almost voted for Altered States... really interesting Experimental score, by John Corigliano... However, it was up against the greatest musical score in history (after Superman) so it was a no-brainer... K.

Yes, it certainly doesn't stand a chance against Fame. :)

Marian - who really would like to hear Altered States, because Red Violin is a masterpiece.

I would really recommend tracking down Altered States, Marian. It is an terrific score

Ren; Come into the Chat room girl, we'll try to talk you down from where ever you are?!?!?

My vote was for Fame... LOL the fame of the greatest score in the world: The Empire Strikes Back. :)

Jarbas from Brazil

"Do or do not! There is no try!"

My friends, we live in an extremely liberal society. Granted, most of our friends who use this board are not American, they're Canadian or European or Australian, but as far as personal liberties go, it's not like these other societies today are going to enter our homes and condemn us for our opinions or what we post on message boards. We're free to choose our music and friends and make our own opinions.

But in this case, I'm going make an exception and give you your opinion.

1980 = The Empire Strikes Back.

Period.

Additionally, I am ashamed to be have been born in the year that can identify itself with Chariots of Fire beating Raiders of the Lost Ark for best score.

It's all in fun, friends.

Granted, most of our friends who use this board are not American, they're Canadian or European or Australian.

Actually the vast majority of visitors, users and members of this board are from the United States.

Hmm... I'm proud of being born when E.T. won the Oscar. Oh, wait, that was in 1983. Then, I was also born just before Chariots of Fire's Oscar.

Back to the topic, there is no doubt TESB was the best score in 1980.

Granted, most of our friends who use this board are not American, they're Canadian or European or Australian.

Actually the vast majority of visitors, users and members of this board are from the United States.

Why do you think this is the case? (that is, I'm not asking how you know, but rather why this phenomenon is true)

OH my God, this is a no brainer!!!! I LOVE musicals.

Fame Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The sun'll come out tomorrow..."

Granted, most of our friends who use this board are not American, they're Canadian or European or Australian...

First of all, I was being totally sarcastic when I said that I was giving your opinion. Everyone's entitled to one, but more often than not throughout Academy Award, convoluted as it may be, I've usually preferred the Williams score(s) to win, the grand exception being Fellowship of the Ring, and it does make me sad that the last two Star Wars outings have not been nominated when all three classic scores were. Oh well, the times they are a-changing.

When I said "most of our friends are not American," I should have said something to the tune of "many of our friends are not American," since at the time, I was thinking of many of our vocal friends who do not live in the U.S., like Morn, Stefancos, Marian, Luke, BigKenLittle, et al. I didn't want to come off as saying that other countries are dictatorships, since they're not, and I know I'm teetering damn close to a political debate with this, and that's hardly my point. My apologies, Ricard, I don't exactly keep a list of countries from which members come. It's just that some of the more colorful and interesting and always-a-pleasure-to-read-responses members come from non-Americans, which biased my statement.

---------------------------------------------------

Terrance and Phillip are back in Canada...You promised me they'd be gone for good. That was your part of the bargain.

--Scott

I changed my mind. Pray that I don't change it any further.

--Saddam Hussein

This deal is getting worse all the time.

--Scott

from "Terrance and Phillip in 'Not Without My Anus'", episode 201 of South Park

Why do you think this is the case? (that is, I'm not asking how you know, but rather why this phenomenon is true)

Because over 50 percent of Internet users are from the US, this site is in English and it's devoted to an American composer.

Oh yeah, the travesties of "Superman," "Raiders," "Return of the Jedi," "Temple of Doom," "Empire of the Sun," "The Accidental Tourist," "Born on the Fourth of July," "Home Alone," "JFK," "Nixon," "Sleepers," "Amistad," "Saving Private Ryan," "Angela's Ashes," "The Patriot," "AI" and "Harry Potter" not winning an Oscar.  :roll:

I think the travesty is true for Superman, ESB, Raiders, not for Jedi, maybe for TOD, not for Accidental T., or BOTFJ, not for HA, JFK, Nixon, Sleepers, Amistad. Certainly not for SPR, or AA, Patriot. FOTR over AI or HP is a travesty.

Not to mention Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Klesko24

To say the score to "Fame" is better than the "Empire" score is like saying "Battlestar Galactica" is better than "Star Wars" (I know a guy who says the latter...he´s a little bit...weird, to stay friendly :| ).

Not to mention Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Klesko24

Sorry Klesko24, but this isn't a case of an Oscar travesty.

In this case John lost out for Close Encounters to himself for Star Wars(the the plain ole Star Wars).