The Amazing Electronic Music Thread

A24

Another good track (We Were All Uprooted 1973) for Blade Runner 2:

Electronic world music/Ethnic Fusion avant la lettre! Some great playing by Vangelis on the Hohner Clavinet (muted position) here.

Someone's put this rare and wonderful Eno album on Youtube, so I'll take the chance to share it. One of my most prized possessions. It bears a sizable responsibility for who I am now musically.

• 2 weeks later...

You're a fan of APP, Alex?

I'm a total AAP nutjob and completist. Same passion for them as I have for John Williams. In fact, if it hadn't been for them, I probably wouldn't have been interested in film music in the first place (that and a few other prog & electronica artists, who paved the way for my interest in instrumental music or songs with a filmic quality).

I used to be a fan, a long time ago. I stopped following them after being disappointed with Eve and Turn Of A Friendly Card. Their music became to innocuous, too radio friendly. I still admire Parsons for his sounds. I mean, if Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon doesn't sound amazing, then I don't know what does.

I used to be a fan, a long time ago. I stopped following them after being disappointed with Eve and Turn Of A Friendly Card. Their music became to innocuous, too radio friendly. I still admire Parsons for his sounds. I mean, if Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon doesn't sound amazing, then I don't know what does.

I see. My appreciation extends LONG beyond those albums (which I absolutely love)-- even beyond Eric Woolfson's departure from the band (may he rest in peace). I even liked his last studio album A VALID PATH from 2004. Probably his most electronic album.

But it's been quiet in terms of new songs for the last 11 years. A single or two, like this catchy and retro instrumental from 2010:

...but that's about it. Seems like he's content with doing the occasional concert (never in this neck of the woods, though) and working on various sound designer events.

Yeah, brilliant album -- probably their best, artistically speaking. Like Orson Welles (who of course is featured on the album), they peaked with their debut.

I like the beginning of this main theme (first track on the album) but soon there's something wrong with it, rhythmically, that is. A shame, because the idea is very good. Did Carpenter get a little caught up in programming that LinnDrum?

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Even though the sound of Pyramid is already a bit too polite, Richard, I do love 'In The Lap Of The Gods' and 'Hyper-Gamma-Spaces'.

Ha! "Polite". I like that.

"PYRAMID" seemed to be the begining of the end for APP; they had already settled into a formula of exploring "themes", coupled with all the Andrew Powell stuff, and that continued for the rest of their career, and beyond. Doesn't mean that it's all bad, though...

"TOM+I" seems to be a "stand-alone" work (and is AP's fave APP record). It truly is a "one-off", free from commercial expectations, and that sets it apart from all other APP albums. The rest were an extended reboot, to use the modern parlance.

I agree; "Hyper-Gamma Spaces" is the standout track on the record (ever noticed the slight pitch-shift as it fades out?).

I probably know the answer to this one, but...which version of "TOM+I" do you prefer? Me? I don't mind either, and I have no objection to Orson Welles' narration on "TFOTHOU" (love that thunder, not to mention Arthur Brown's in-orbit vocal on "T-TH". All together, now "WOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!).

Oh, no! Now you've done it. Now you've done it! I can't get "To One In Paradise" out of my head!!!

Oh, no! Now you've done it. Now you've done it! I can't get "To One In Paradise" out of my head!!!

'To One In Paradise' is magical and dreamy without becoming corny like some of their later ballads. The boy's choir certainly helps.

"TOM+I" seems to be a "stand-alone" work (and is AP's fave APP record). It truly is a "one-off", free from commercial expectations, and that sets it apart from all other APP albums. The rest were an extended reboot, to use the modern parlance.

Well said!

I probably know the answer to this one, but...which version of "TOM+I" do you prefer? Me? I don't mind either, and I have no objection to Orson Welles' narration on "TFOTHOU" (love that thunder, not to mention Arthur Brown's in-orbit vocal on "T-TH". All together, now "WOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!).

The original, of course (if you don't have it on vinyl, please try to get a hold of the MFSL version for best sound/dynamics). I don't listen to the revised version.

This was my kind of Alan Parsons Project, Thor.

Let's not forget that the majority of this was composed by Claude Debussy. ;)

Ssssst!

He's got a point, Aklex, but let's not forget that Debussey composed a lot of "Poltergeist", as well! :lol: .

Listening to the later ballads ("Shadow Of A Lonlely Man", "Same Old Sun", "Old And Wise", "(Oh, Life) There Miust be More", etc.), they do seem to have an American overblown-ness to them. "If I Could Change Your Mind" is lovely, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else excited about Jean Michel Jarre's upcoming E-PROJECT album, where he collaborates with a lot of electronic stars? John Carpenter, M83, Armin van Buren, Tangerine Dream (i.e. Edgar Froese, before his passing), Vince Clark, Massive Attack etc.?

Personally, I can't wait. I've been a Jarre nutjob and completist for years, but this is particularly interesting since I'm also a fan of many of his collaborators in this case.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, Dieter Moebius, an electronic music pioneer has died. Should I have heard of him?

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/22/dieter-moebius

You should have heard of him, yes (especially if you're into krautrock), but even I haven't heard that much by him that I'm aware of.

Anyone else excited about Jean Michel Jarre's upcoming E-PROJECT album, where he collaborates with a lot of electronic stars? John Carpenter, M83, Armin van Buren, Tangerine Dream (i.e. Edgar Froese, before his passing), Vince Clark, Massive Attack etc.?

Personally, I can't wait. I've been a Jarre nutjob and completist for years, but this is particularly interesting since I'm also a fan of many of his collaborators in this case.

What, no comments on this? Am I the only one excited about it?

You should have heard of him, yes (especially if you're into krautrock),

Ah, that's why. I'm afraid that, when it comes to Krautrock (that word!), I'm only into Kraftwerk.

I suppose Jean Michel ain't popular around these parts, Thor. Baguetterock?

I suppose Jean Michel ain't popular around these parts, Thor. Baguetterock?

He, he. It's weird, though. Jarre is -- for me -- the greatest electronic composer who ever lived. So I'm surprised there is no real interest here. And even if you DON'T like him or have any interest in him, the artists with whom he's collaborating on the new album are also very interesting -- John Carpenter, M83, Massive Attack, Gesaffelstein, Armin van Buren, Vince Clark, Edgar Froese (one of his last projects before he passed away) and many others that are still to be announced.

Okay, besides being played in a different room, I can hardly hear any difference between real and sampled. Maybe I should give up using a keyboard and switch over to the Akai EWI?

Here's the EWI playing the Bansuri:

What?! 700 Euro for the EWI? And 200 Euro for them ethnic flute sounds?! Eh ..

• 3 weeks later...

As it stands this is really just the Spherical Progressive Electronica thread, which is fine, but it's quite a narrow field. There's plenty of great danceable electronic music out there...

I'll think I'll start a new thread.

Indeed. I've been waiting for this thread to go into EDM territory at some point. Don't get me wrong, I love the old pioneers and the ambient and progressive stuff, but as you say -- it's just one small part of the scene.

For example, I'm a HUGE fan of psytrance/goa, and have pretty much complete discographies of Juno Reactor and Infected Mushroom, as well as other cornerstone albums by Man With No Name, The Infinity Project, Astral Projection and others.

But I never see anyone talk about them here, even though Juno, for example, has VERY cinematic music (heck, Ben Watkins even composed a largely orchestral score for the Japanese film BRAVE STORY).

But I never see anyone talk about them here ...

Yeah, but the focus of these is more on dancing and DJ-ing.

For some, maybe. For me, though, it's all about the music. Otherwise, I wouldn't have managed to keep my interest in this beyond my socalled 'rave days' in the 90s. I mean, the raw musical power of something like this is absolutely stunning to me: