The Amazing Electronic Music Thread

A24

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Starts and I’m like “Ha! Weird! Interesting!” Then after two minutes I’m drumming my fingers.  The novelty wears off quick!

It does flag, as there are some "holes" in the arrangement, but soon after I got bored there came that vocal section with the different key of the opening figure, and it's almost emotional! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

:lol:

Laugh all you want, I really like the chorus around 2:20 with those pads underneath! 

On 1/11/2020 at 12:23 AM, Alexcremers said:

Here it is!

And it looks amazing!

For the low, low price of $3,000+! It does look great, though. They're also reissuing the MS20, which is really cool, and probably more affordable. Korg employees were reportedly on the work floor wearing shirts with "Fuck Uli" branded on them.

7 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Laugh all you want, I really like the chorus around 2:20 with those pads underneath! 

I can appreciate the sound of a classic early Moog, but that doesn't make the arrangement not pretty laughable!  Wendy Carlos it ain't!

On 1/17/2020 at 8:06 PM, Nick Parker said:

They're also reissuing the MS20, which is really cool, and probably more affordable.

That was my first synth which I bought when I was 15. I don't have it anymore because at some time I wanted everything to have MIDI. 

• 2 weeks later...

You mean a specific work? It has a bit of 70s Vangelis going on.

I love Lopatin's UNCUT GEMS score, one of the highlights last year. I was also impressed by his work in GOOD TIME, which was one of my top 10 that year (that one had more of a 'Berlin school'-type sound). Seems like he's departed from his Oneohtrix Point Never pseudonym, however.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Can you hear by what this track is inspired? Anyone? Thor? Richard?

You know Daniel Lopatin is "famous" electronic musician Oneohpointrix Never, yeah? With the vocal stuff later, it reminds me a little of 80's Fairlight stuff, like Art of Noise. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Seems like he's departed from his Oneohtrix Point Never pseudonym, however.

He's released albums relatively recently still using the moniker, so it might just be his film work that he does. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

You mean a specific work? It has a bit of 70s Vangelis going on.

Exactly, Thor. More specifically, it's inspired by Spiral. Even more specifically, it's inspired by that album's second track Ballad, hence the title 'The Ballad Of Howie Bling'. 

To be honest, I was thrilled to hear this during the long opening scene of Uncut Gems, but I also felt it was very distractive when blended with the busyness and loudness of that scene.

Hmm. Yes. The Vangelis connection is apparent. I hear HEAVEN AND HELL, a smidgen of SEE YOU LATER, a tad of THE CITY, and 1492 male vocals. As for instrumentation, there's BLADE RUNNER, the quieter pieces from TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS, and some T.D. circa CYCLONE. All in all, it's an effective combination.

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

You know Daniel Lopatin is "famous" electronic musician Oneohpointrix Never, yeah? With the vocal stuff later, it reminds me a little of 80's Fairlight stuff, like Art of Noise. 

Yeah, I know, but it seems like he's turning towards his proper name for film scores, like Tom Holkenborg in recent years.

As for 70s Vangelis, that has always been a bit hit and miss for me. In terms of sheer listening pleasure, I tend to prefer his 80s and 90s work. But by golly, the holy trilogy of L'APOCALYPSE DES ANIMAUX, HEAVEN AND HELL and OPERA SAUVAGE are sheer masterpieces. 

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Hmm. Yes. The Vangelis connection is apparent. I hear HEAVEN AND HELL, a smidgen of SEE YOU LATER, a tad of THE CITY, and 1492 male vocals. As for instrumentation, there's BLADE RUNNER, the quieter pieces from TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS, and some T.D. circa CYCLONE. All in all, it's an effective combination.

But you don't hear Vangelis' Ballad which he almost directly quotes in the arrangement and the synth sounds, right? It's why he also named it Ballad. It could have been an unreleased track of Spiral

Apparently, besides Vangelis, the other big influence is Jerry Goldsmith but I didn't really notice that. In fact, the initial idea was to write a hybrid orchetral/synth score a la Jerry Goldsmith but it eventually turned into another direction.

I've been listening quite a lot more to this score recently. There's obviously not only Vangelis here, but also the type of Tangerine Dream he alluded to in GOOD TIME. Like this track:

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Of course he uses the Moog One. 

When I heard that opening track I could have sworn they used a Yamaha CS-80, but indeed, it's a Moog One. :o

Thanks for the link, it's cool that Lopatin admits que influence, the music works wonders in the scene, reflecting the feeling of pleasure/power Howard feels while taking stupid decisions, but the lack of a credit for Geinoh Yamashiroguni it's highly questionable. 

Enjoying the topic and preparing a podcast episode about Uncut Gems and electronic / synth scores, we're mentioning some favorites; a few of my personals are A Clockwork orange (Carlos), Halloween (Carpenter), Stalker (Artemiev) , Thief (Tangerine Dream), Blade Runner (1982), Hoosiers (Goldsmith) and Annihilation (Barrow & Salisbury). 

Any favorites of yours? 

21 minutes ago, Gustavo Joseph said:

Enjoying the topic and preparing a podcast episode about Uncut Gems and electronic / synth scores, we're mentioning some favorites; a few of my personals are A Clockwork orange (Carlos), Halloween (Carpenter), Stalker (Artemiev) , Thief (Tangerine Dream), Blade Runner (1982), Hoosiers (Goldsmith) and Annihilation (Barrow & Salisbury). 

Any favorites of yours? 

Of those you've mentioned? Definitely Blade Runner, even though I think the music and the film shouldn't be separated. Not familiar with Hoosiers and Annihilation. I watched the latter but I don't recall the music. 

1 hour ago, Gustavo Joseph said:

Thanks for the link, it's cool that Lopatin admits que influence, the music works wonders in the scene, reflecting the feeling of pleasure/power Howard feels while taking stupid decisions, but the lack of a credit for Geinoh Yamashiroguni it's highly questionable. 

Any favorites of yours? 

As far as films, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence by Ryuichi Sakamoto, It Follows by Disasterpeace, are two that immediately come to mind.

1 hour ago, Gustavo Joseph said:

Any favorites of yours? 

Oh God, yes. Several hundreds, so I wouldn't really know where to start or stop. I think I would need more specific parameters to work with.

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oh God, yes. Several hundreds, so I wouldn't really know where to start or stop. I think I would need more specific parameters to work with.

Agreed.

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Oh, absolutely!

:crymore:

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

As far as films, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence by Ryuichi Sakamoto, It Follows by Disasterpeace, are two that immediately come to mind.

Absolutely indeed, I love Mr Lawrence, great score!

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I know, it's a lot, but probably the ones you think were more important as storytelling and also became popular. The Terminator is a good exemple, I guess.  

• 2 weeks later...

Best overview of the CS-80 ever. BTW, I always thought the brass on Amii Stewart's version of 'Knock On Wood' was real but it appears to be the mighty CS-80.

• 1 month later...

To all you electronic experts: I'm looking to invest in an affordable synthesizer and was eyeing the Korg Minilogue XD. Any thoughts on that friends?

2 hours ago, KK said:

To all you electronic experts: I'm looking to invest in an affordable synthesizer and was eyeing the Korg Minilogue XD. Any thoughts on that friends?

Love it love it love it! It's not the most complex piece of kit out there, but what you get, especially for the price, is incredible. I say it's one of the friendliest synths ever made, Korg did a hell of a job designing the interface...further more, it has an open source oscillator and effects section that people have been doing nuts stuff with, like a waveform that expands its polyphony from 4 to 8-12! The XD is the synth equivalent of Data from Star Trek, designed to exceed its original programming. 

What exactly are you looking for, though, KK, function wise? Knowing that would help me answer if it's right for you.

Well, I'm sort of looking for a new instrument for generating new textures both in recording and live performance. Usually, I'm toying around with my VSTs and manipulating recorded sounds to achieve that. Thought it'd be time for me to dip into electronic music, and invest in a proper synthesizer. I'm definitely a beginner, in this department.

26 minutes ago, KK said:

Well, I'm sort of looking for a new instrument for generating new textures both in recording and live performance. Usually, I'm toying around with my VSTs and manipulating recorded sounds to achieve that. Thought it'd be time for me to dip into electronic music, and invest in a proper synthesizer. I'm definitely a beginner, in this department.

Funny, I was actually teaching a synthesis 101 lesson last night using the XD. If that's what you're looking for, and don't mind the limitations of 4 voices of polyphony, then it's hard to recommend a synth as highly as I can the Minilogue XD.

Do you have a MIDI controller you like?

On 4/15/2020 at 2:55 PM, Nick Parker said:

Funny, I was actually teaching a synthesis 101 lesson last night using the XD. If that's what you're looking for, and don't mind the limitations of 4 voices of polyphony, then it's hard to recommend a synth as highly as I can the Minilogue XD.

Do you have a MIDI controller you like?

Then you're my man! And this sounds like the way to go. Cheers Nick :)

And I just use a functional Yamha keyboard for my MIDI input. Nothing fancy.

1 hour ago, KK said:

Then you're my man! And this sounds like the way to go. Cheers Nick :)

And I just use a functional Yamha keyboard for my MIDI input. Nothing fancy.

Happy to help, dear KK!

The reason I asked about the MIDI controller is because as you might have noticed, Korg sells two versions of the XD: with a keybed, and a keyboard-less module. Functionally, they are the exact same, but the module version is cheaper by about $100 USD. They're both pretty compact...the keys are pretty damn skinny, which for my live performances have been...mixed results (doing a lot of more intricate playing and improvising), but it is nice when you just want to be able to trigger sounds without having to hook up the MIDI controller.