The Amazing Electronic Music Thread

A24

• 2 weeks later...

This 2019 album by Matmos called Plastic Anniversary is really interesting.  Most of the sounds on the album are created using the everyday plastic objects around us.  And it's all pretty enjoyably tune-ful (relatively speaking for an experimental electronic group).

image.png

I recommend checking out this track

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/4/2020 at 5:13 AM, Alexcremers said:

Rick's voice sounds like Yoda's. Talk like him he needs.

• 1 month later...

I had a good deal for one that a colleague no longer wanted, but it fell through. And then money got a little tight, so I'm still holding out for it :(

Hopefully within the year!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2014 at 11:46 AM, Koray Savas said:

What do we define as electronic? Anything that's not a live instrument?

Cliff Martinez's Drive

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross' The Social Network

Daft Punk's Tron Legacy

M83's Oblivion

Anything by Steve Moore

• 2 weeks later...

Will you welcome, please, an entirely new genre of music: hip hop.

Who'd have thought?

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Amazing album! Sadly its success gave them a writer's block, a writer's block that never really went away. 

ELEKTRIC CAFÉ has its moments.

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Amazing album! Sadly its success gave them a writer's block, a writer's block that never really went away. 

The classic Alex Cremers reply - an artist only has one, maybe two, good works in them, usually at the beginning of their careers. The rest is shit! :D

I obviously disagree with his statement and 'philosophy' on this matter. In fact, I think the very best Kraftwerk album came many years later - TOUR DE FRANCE in 2003.

It must be fun to like everything. Sometimes I wish I was less critical but I can't lie to myself. I liked every Kraftwerk album except Tour De France. The writer's block claim is true and you can hear it.

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Come, come, now, good Alex. People lie to themselves, everyday. It's called "rationalization", and it's a potent form of self preservation.

True, one lies to oneself when looking in the mirror, but we don't have to lie about other people's appearances. ;)

9 minutes ago, AC1 said:

True, one lies to oneself when looking in the mirror, but we don't have to lie about other people's appearances. ;)

If you're going to have a good atmosphere at a party, you probably have to, yes.

47 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Really? Even if she doesn't, tell your girlfriend she looks like a sack o' shit, and see what happens :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I will! I WILL!

BTW, them two McLaren tracks above remind me of Wally Badarou. It has the same electronics with African influences going on. Wouldn't you agree?

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody's favorite electronic album, 'Selected Ambient Works 85-92' ?

It's probably my favorite album of all time (outside of scores)

The first time I listened to it, I listened to 'Xtal' probably over 100 times on repeat.

The album is just perfection, so ahead of it's time, and to think of how young Richard was when making this....just unreal.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:03 PM, Bellosh said:

Anybody's favorite electronic album, 'Selected Ambient Works 85-92' ?

It's one of my best friend's favorites, but I could never connect to Aphex Twin outside of appreciation and respect.

7 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

It's one of my best friend's favorites, but I could never connect to Aphex Twin outside of appreciation and respect.

I think SAW 85-92 is actually his most accessible album (if you haven't given it a shot already).  Next would be the 'Richard D. James Album'

But yeah, I can see why some people can't connect with a lot of his music.

3 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I think SAW 85-92 is actually his most accessible album (if you haven't given it a shot already).  Next would be the 'Richard D. James Album'

But yeah, I can see why some people can't connect with a lot of his music.

Trust me, I've been through the gambit!  I've even listened to the leaked flash drive stuff or whatever storage device it was.

There's just something about his compositional style that feels hollow to me. Great, great writer though.

Now for some glorious FM.

• 2 weeks later...

This is primarily for Alex, I suppose, but check out this album by Stephen Parsick -- utilizing the Yamaha CS-80 and other notable synths from Vangelis' BLADE RUNNER, creating a rather abstract and textural, but totally hypnotizing soundscape:

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/album/hoellenengel-2?fbclid=IwAR0dB2XZUGGD0hFdHFWrVgfc4ya3aKJel3JGKhEAq8ceVL390vRxxy4FrEk

It was recommended to me by one of the guests in my 3.5 hour podcast on Vangelis recently.

Thanks for the link, Thor. Hahah, lots of CS-80 ring modulation! The main sound of track 6 together with the overload of reverb was bit too much and painfully huge for me. With a different mix and a more sophisticated arrangement, it could have been a good '70s Vangelis track though. 

Yes, I'm not keen on all parts of that album. But overall, I found it a well-made and surprisingly coherent "experiment".

In other news, Waveshaper - my favourite synthwaver - recently released a gorgeous version of Howard Blake's "Walking in the Air" from THE SNOWMAN, condoned by the composer himself. It's obviously not the first time the tune receives an electronic rendition (there's the TD version from THE KEEP, for example), but I like the more synthpoppy style here. The melody lends itself beautifully to electronics:

This is the short version. There's a longer version available on iTunes, Spotify etc.

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, KK said:

Look what I got for Christmas! @Nick Parker

96E07695-B4B3-479D-9377-F71EC5E2AA0A.jpeg

Awwwwwwwwwwww snap! Have you gotten a chance to fire it on? Let me know if you have any questions about it! 

Pro-tip: as it powers on and tunes, move the Program knob ;)