The Amazing Electronic Music Thread

A24

On 12/28/2020 at 7:26 PM, Nick Parker said:

@KK Just a non sequitur tag apopos nothing.

My interface zonked out on me! So I'm waiting on the new one to come in this week. I'll get to play with it next week, and promise to report back promptly!

39 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I remember hearing this in an episode of Magnum 35 years ago. 

Lee, since INVISIBLE TOUCH wasn't released until June, 1986, I doubt that you heard it 35 years ago...but I know what you mean :)

It's good, but it's not as good as the other instrumental from those sessions.

"The Brazilian" is great -- one of my favourite Genesis compositions.

Even though Peter Gabriel had left at this point, it feels very "him" in style and tone. Like a cousin to "The Tower That Ate People", which was featured in RED PLANET.

On 12/28/2020 at 7:26 PM, Nick Parker said:

@KK Just a non sequitur tag apopos nothing.

So, I'm having some setup issues. I'm trying to plug in the minilogue into Logic, but for some reason, my interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) isn't picking up any signals from the minilogue. So Logic isn't picking anything up.

When I plug in headphones directly into the minilogue though, it all sounds great.

Any advice? Am I missing something really obvious?

5 hours ago, KK said:

So, I'm having some setup issues. I'm trying to plug in the minilogue into Logic, but for some reason, my interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) isn't picking up any signals from the minilogue. So Logic isn't picking anything up.

I have to admit I haven't used the Scarlett or Logic, but I'll work backwards by asking obvious questions.

I imagine there's a way to get monitoring on the Scarlett without using a DAW? Which output are you using on the XD?

8 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I have to admit I haven't used the Scarlett or Logic, but I'll work backwards by asking obvious questions.

I imagine there's a way to get monitoring on the Scarlett without using a DAW? Which output are you using on the XD?

I'm using the headphone jack on the XD as my output. And the Scarlett is plugged into the laptop via USB. I also plugged in the XD directly into the laptop via USB, which gave me a MIDI signal from the keyboard. But I'm not picking up any of the actual audio output on the DAW.

I could plug in actual monitor speakers into the Scarlett as well, but currently don't have a functioning pair. But I should still be able to pick up the output on the DAW, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Maybe it's an issue with the interface (hopefully not!). What do you plug in your XD into?

7 hours ago, KK said:

I'm using the headphone jack on the XD as my output.

I suspected as much. This is probably the culprit. Try using the L/Mono output. For stereo in your DAW, you'd need two cables for each output, or a stereo split cable.

While some gear has a built-in USB audio interface, the XD is not one of them. That USB connection is purely for MIDI. So if you wanted to write a part on your XD and have it recorded into your DAW, rather than directly play it in, you'll need the following:

1. In Logic, set up a MIDI track, and have the output routed to the XD via the USB connection. This will send your written material to the XD, like giving sheet music to a performer.

2. Have a separate audio track to record the XD's performance. You'll have the XD output to the corresponding channels on your Focusrite (ex. Ch. 1 and Ch. 2 for the XD's L and R outputs for stereo).

7 hours ago, KK said:

could plug in actual monitor speakers into the Scarlett as well,

Monitoring is simply being able to listen to your instrument. So my question in other words, was to see if you could get the XD's audio heard through the Scarlett without Logic, as a means of eliminating suspects. I doubt this will be necessary after what I wrote above. 

7 hours ago, KK said:

Maybe it's an issue with the interface (hopefully not!).

Doubtful! Don't be alarmed.

7 hours ago, KK said:

What do you plug in your XD into?

I actually recently "downgraded" to the Monologue, but for any synth or gear I use a Behringer UMC1820 audio interface.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

R-12849303-1543148188-3682.jpeg.jpg

How delightful it was to get a new Hammer album again, back in 2018, even if it wasn't a score. This certainly has more than a few MIAMI VICE elements, but that's not a bad thing, as far as I'm concerned! Crossing fingers for a Part 2 down the line.

ab67616d0000b273d3c53c7fe808645b2dcf5be1

The 2016 album STATION NOVA by my favourite synthwaver Waveshaper. I don't know what to say at this point, other than that everything he does is great. I have all his albums and singles. Check him out on Spotify or Bandcamp if you're interested.

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've just sampled this one. It has an early 80s TD vibe (think Choronzon). I like it. I'll definitely listen to more.

@Thor, do you have any love for Ulrich Schnauss?

I do, yes, although I haven't listened to as much as I should have, outside TD. Only the debut album, really (FAR AWAY TRAINS PASSING BY).

R-6157059-1412632718-6445.jpeg.jpg

Checked out The Knick (which is a synth score even though the story takes place in 1900) but is very basic stuff. I also miss that synths were once recorded in a studio with monitors and mics. Martinez's synths go straight into the mixing board. All in all, because it's so simple and basic, I can see this becoming a library music hit.

36 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Checked out The Knick (which is a synth score even though the story takes place in 1900) but is very basic stuff. I also miss that synths were once recorded in a studio with monitors and mics. Martinez's synths go straight into the mixing board. All in all, because it's so simple and basic, I can see this becoming a library music hit.

THE KNICK is great, but then again Martinez is one of my favs (interviewed him here back in 2014). Love how he often mixes synths with acoustic elements, primarily steel drums.

R-326952-1357212235-5101.jpeg.jpg

I was recently sent a couple of promos from Silva; their upcoming releases of BBC Radiophonic material - one was Paddy Kingsland and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop's electronica/space-funk album FOURTH DIMENSION (1973), the other was Peter Howell and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop's synth/prog concept album THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY (1978).

These were great!

I've had trouble getting into a lot of the Workshop stuff in the past, both for DR. WHO and beyond. It's simply been too abstract and sound designy, and not something I like to listen to on album. These two, however, were great. Shades of early Pink Floyd in the latter (I think I preferred this album of the two), the first is a combo of easy listening and the type of upbeat library music that was written by Alan Hawkshaw and those people (or Francis Rimbert's APRIL ORCHESTRA or BIONIC ORCHESTRA albums).

Yes!!!

Well done, @Thor!

Kingsland, and Howell are, by far, the two most accessible composers in the later incarnations of the Radiophonic Workshop. Mark Ayres is also good.

If you want to "stretch" yourself, try Malcolm Clarke's individual, almost unlistenable, and utterly compelling, and extraordinary score for THE SEA DEVILS. It's the DW version of IMAGES :lol:

12 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yes!!!

Well done, @Thor!

Kingsland, and Howell are, by far, the two most accessible composers in the later incarnations of the Radiophonic Workshop. Mark Ayres is also good.

If you want to "stretch" yourself, try Malcolm Clarke's individual, almost unlistenable, and utterly compelling, and extraordinary score for THE SEA DEVILS. It's the DW version of IMAGES :lol:

Ah, yes, Mark Ayres. I'm aware of him (mostly through the WHO connection). Thanks for the tip! I've sampled many of those bizarre sound designy things that Silva has put out recently, and - outside the odd track or two - it's not something I've felt compelled to return to. But I'll add SEA DEVILS thing to the list regardless.

Should you feel so inclined, there's a section of the last (to date) DW concert filmed in 2013 (it's on YouTube). It features both Howell, and Ayres, and it has music from Classic Who. It starts at around the 42 minute mark. Try not to burst into tears, when Peter Davison walks on stage...as I do, every time I watch it.