The Amazing Electronic Music Thread

A24

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm not sure which one I dislike more.

He, he. Can't speak about the Harrison, but I could never get into Vangelis' BEAUBORG either. Fascinating, for sure, but too 'musique concrete' for my taste. Same for some of Jarre's excursions into similar territory.

Even though these two experimental albums are somewhat similar (lots of ring modulation on both albums), Harrison's Electronic Sound is more avant-garde than Vangelis' Beaubourg because there is actually plenty of melody and harmony on Beaubourg. Not sure what Harrison is playing but, on Beaubourg, almost all what you hear is Yamaha CS-80, which Vangelis once described as his most important synthesizer. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Same for some of Jarre's excursions into similar territory.

Such as?

Téo And Téa is a whole boatload of bad, but for different reasons.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Not sure what Harrison is playing...

He could be messing around with the VCS 3, that The Beatles just happened to have.

5 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

He could be messing around with the VCS 3, that The Beatles just happened to have.

That has to be it! 

Back in the day, when listening to Beaubourg, I always felt it was evocative of deep space, very much like the universe sequence in The Tree Of Life

On 01/03/2022 at 12:54 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Such as?

Téo And Téa is a whole boatload of bad, but for different reasons.

Oh gosh, no, nothing like that (even though I like that album more than most, including Jarre himself). But Jarre has explored stylings inspired by his mentor Pierre Schaeffer in the past. There are bits and bobs on his "unknown" debut album DESERTED PALACE (like the track "Free Floating Anxiety"), a track like "Metallic Souvenir" from PRINTEMPS DE BOURGES or the completely wacky, out-there 'musique concrete' for the 1971 ballet AOR (all very Schaeffer/Stockhausen in sound). Not for the faint-of-heart -- and very far removed from the 80s laser anthems! :)

There's a LOT of great Jarre stuff prior to OXYGENE -- from the experimental to the more melodic. But it's somewhat of a jungle to explore.

I should play TEO & TEA again, it's been a while. Unashamedly commercial, but still gets me going.

9 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've not heard this. Is it as good as THE CONCERTS IN CHINA?

Very different beast. It was a small concert in a fashionable, castle-type building -- more of a master class for 100 people that was meant to showcase the evolution of electronic music through Jarre's own compositions over the years. So apples and oranges, really.

While my favourite Jarre 'live' album will always be the Houston/Lyon double-header (probably my 'desert island' Jarre disc if I had to choose just one), there's no denying the fascination and historical importance inherent in the CHINA concert set.

What's your favourite live album?

Through some rabbitholes I found myself starting to explore electronic/ambient as an evening listen or work background music. Tidal's genre category led me to 3 albums I really liked:

th?id=OIP.yM6h9nZJG3xoMtwBGeUahQHaHa%26p

From what I hear, Apollo's somewhat of a classic, I find it very calming and satisfying, with even somewhat of an arc to it as it grows from colder less varying textures to more melodic ideas by the end.

cover_51311522122017_r.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Sowiesoso's less refined but in a similar vein.

glimmer-1.jpg

Jacaszek's Glimmer is a very different, more out there concept melding acoustics with noises and it hits my spots just right!

• 1 month later...

He, he...yes, indeed. I think it was you and I who discussed it earlier. I like all my seven Kraftwerk albums, but this one beats them all. Cemented by the fact that it came out just a couple of years before I saw them live, and they played a lot of it then. Hard to believe it's almost 20 years ago since it came out, and they haven't released any new material since, AFAIK.

• 3 weeks later...

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Rimbert is perhaps most famous as a performer on many Jean Michel Jarre albums and concerts, but he's done some neat solo stuff too. A lot of library music, for example, or solo albums like this from 1979 -- a mix of disco, light pop and electronic music. It's all very cute and infectious.

Never heard of him but he clearly had good relationships with KORG. My first synth was the KORG MS-20.

Korg_MS-20.jpg

Yeah, he's good with the Korg. I also recommend checking out some of his library music in the April Orchestra series. No. 51, for example. Very hard to find, though, so YouTube might be the solution.

I never listened to Zimmer's score on its own but it doesn't do anything for me in the movie, which is funny, because I think Vangelis' score is the heart and soul of Ridley Scott's movie. And vice versa! The music can't live without the imagery it is written for either. Scott wanted to make a fun comic book movie. Vangelis, however, saw the beautiful sadness. Somehow they created a perfect marriage.

• 2 weeks later...

Was recently reminded how much I used to be a huge fan of this electronic artist called Tobacco and his band Black Moth Super Rainbow.  He has a vintage-ish synth psychedelic pop sound that I just eat up. 

Cool shit!

In the series 'Confession Time': Michael Stearns ... Yes, that's right, I'm not a fan. 

Especially not from his "warm floating in space' music, which is too New Agey for me, his darker floating drones are okay. 

I'm going to guess that Thor loves him while Richard is lukewarm about him. 

Even looking at the guy tells me that it's not for me. 

Well, he's no Larry Fast. I mean, it's no Soundcheck Delta 3, is it? :lol:

To be terribly honest, it sounds like the background music whenever The Book in The Hitch-hiker's Guide To The Galaxy is read out.

It's not bad, but then again...

I bought the first one (Face Value) but that's it. I guess you have them all? 

My favorite is the last song of the album, which, if I'm not mistaken, is also Collins' favorite. 

Not sure what you mean, Alex. The final song is a snippet of Somewhere Over The Rainbow, preceded by a passable, but not brilliant, rendition of Tomorrow Never Knows. Immediately preceding that is If Leaving Me Is Easy. I like that one.

49 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Not sure what you mean, Alex. The final song is a snippet of Somewhere Over The Rainbow, preceded by a passable, but not brilliant, rendition of Tomorrow Never Knows. Immediately preceding that is If Leaving Me Is Easy. I like that one.

My LP (vinyl) ends with 'If Leaving Me Is Easy'. That's the song I'm talking about. It's how this album should end. Maybe the CD has a different track order with some extra bonus tracks?

• 1 month later...

Raymond Scott (the band leader that JW's father played with who wrote "Powerhouse", "The Toy Trumpet", etc.) in later life was involved in research and experimentation with early synthesizers, which included lots of commercial jingles in the 50s and 60s.

I really like this one he did for a commercial for Sprite (the soda)

And this one's fun too

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...