The Amazing Electronic Music Thread

A24

When it comes to Depeche Mode, I like them fine enough, but actually prefer bands and artists that approximate their sound more - like SPOCK. As for OMD, I like the few things I've heard, but some are just a bit too close the 'indie'/The Cure-like sound I've never been fond of. But now we're moving away from electronica and into the pop/rock realm.

12 hours ago, Thor said:

When it comes to Depeche Mode, I like them fine enough, but actually prefer bands and artists that approximate their sound more - like SPOCK. As for OMD, I like the few things I've heard, but some are just a bit too close the 'indie'/The Cure-like sound I've never been fond of. But now we're moving away from electronica and into the pop/rock realm.

You don't count OMD as electronic because they compose songs?

I believe PROPAGANDA were the precursors to ART OF NOISE20210312_154805.jpg

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

You don't count OMD as electronic because they compose songs?

I believe PROPAGANDA were the precursors to ART OF NOISE20210312_154805.jpg

Some of the OMD instrumentals I'd definitely class as "electronic music".

If anything, the true precursor to The Art Of Noise, was Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

1234 is a much better record.

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Some of the OMD instrumentals I'd definitely class as "electronic music".

If anything, the true precursor to The Art Of Noise, was Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

1234 is a much better record.

Well, " Moments of Love by AON " is based on a piece from PROPAGANDA

How are FRANKIE connected?

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

New Wave is PRETENDERS...POLICE..BLONDIE... rockers.

Rock wasn't called New Wave. It was called Rock.

Neat clip. There are actually TWO documentaries out now about women in electronic music - SISTERS WITH TRANSISTORS (what a great name!) and UNDERPLAYED. I'd like to see both of them, but the former more, as it deals with pioneers like Carlos, Derbyshire etc.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

There are actually TWO documentaries out now about women in electronic music - SISTERS WITH TRANSISTORS (what a great name!) and UNDERPLAYED. 

I suppose they are not (yet) available on youtube? 

No, not yet. Not sure they will be either (without being taken down, at least). But they're around on proper streaming platforms.

She had her sex change in 1972, but lived as a woman since 1968. So that clip, being from 1970, is smack in the middle of the transition period.

Regardless, I find it a fascinating insight into early electronics. She also has a very soothing, pedagogic way of showing off the various capabilites of the instrument. Would have loved to see her live.

No, but I recently listened to their so-called masterpiece, and while okay, I don't think it's all that good. I was never into that type of 'sequencer' music. 

The cover kinda reminds me of The Tree Of Life

So what do you guys get out of it?! 

70s TD is not what I immediately reach for when I want my TD fix. I tend to go for 80s or even 90s stuff instead. But when you're in the mood, they're great to "get lost in". Like PHAEDRA.

ab67616d0000b273a2c6b61bd948a107c1d65098

One of my favourite Shpongle albums. For those of you who don't know Shpongle (shame on you! ;)), it's a mix of goa/psytrance, ambient and IDM (not EDM). Great stuff all around! if you like The Future Sound of London, you might like this.

I keep pushing these threads all on my own, but I'm fine with that.

ab67616d0000b2738675567260b655542875efd8

My favourite synthwaver. This is his second album from 2014, and while not as strong as the debut album TRACKS TO THE FUTURE, it's all excellent.

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Didn't you create a separate thread for your EDM stuff?

I didn't, but Sharkissimo did: 

I had completely forgotten about that! I'll try to post the EDM stuff there in the future. But Waveshaper - in case that's the one you were thinking about - isn't EDM. It's old-school synthwave and hence more appropriate in this thread.

ab67616d0000b2737fb742e9b498a9a61583f15f

I suppose this could go in both the electronic and rock/pop thread, but I think it's fitting here. I just needed a dose of Enya this morning after what has been a very emotionally stressful weekend for me.

When I first heard PRIVATE COLLECTION, in 1983, I thought that Horizon was the closest thing to a Blade Runner soundtrack, that we'd get.

Does anyone like Les Rythmes Digitales? I have a personal connection to the song Sometimes, which is co-written, and performed, by Nik Kershaw.

Jean Michel Jarre's new album AMAZONIA it out today. Music for an exhibition by Sebastião Salgado. Not sure about the sound effects, but I like the ambient music. Reminds me of the super-long title track on WAITING FOR COSTEAU, only "edgier".

The title track from WAITING FOR COUSTEAU, is mesmerising, especially in its 45min. running time. I get lost in that track, every time that I hear it.

AMAZÔNIA sounds good. I detect his dad, on Pt. 1 (THE MOSQUITO COAST), and TD on Pt. 5, speaking of which...

I've been listening to what I consider their "golden period" (FORCE MAJEURE, TANGRAM, THIEF, EXIT, WHITE EAGLE, LOGOS, and HYPERBOREA). Fantastic!

50 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The title track from WAITING FOR COUSTEAU, is mesmerising, especially in its 45min. running time. I get lost in that track, every time that I hear it.

Oh yes, the 45 minute version is the way to go. It inspired me to write a short story back in the day.

50 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

AMAZÔNIA sounds good. I detect his dad, on Pt. 1 (THE MOSQUITO COAST), and TD on Pt. 5, speaking of which...

I've been listening to what I consider their "golden period" (FORCE MAJEURE, TANGRAM, THIEF, EXIT, WHITE EAGLE, LOGOS, and HYPERBOREA). Fantastic!

A lot of people hold their 70s period as the best, but I've always preferred the more streamlined version from the 80s onwards. More melodies, riffs and hooks to grab on to rather than just weird and abstract soundscapes.

I first heard the name Jonathan Elias, as the producer of the ABWH tracks that ended up on UNION.

He also produced a nifty (and seldom heard) record by Robert Downey Jr., called THE FUTURIST, which, quite by chance (or perhaps not) features a version of I've Seen All Good People.

17 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I first heard the name Jonathan Elias, as the producer of the ABWH tracks that ended up on UNION.

He got a lot of flack for that. Undeserved, IMO, because it's a great album.

@Thor, UNION is two great albums, but one terrible album (if you take my meaning?).

The Yes West stuff is fantastic, and the Yes East, stuff is fantastic, but put them together, and there's a jarring clash of styles.

Added to that, all the overdubs and extra musicians on the ABWH tracks don't help. It's no wonder that, to this day, Wakeman refers to it as ONION, because every time he hears it, it makes him cry.

The tour, on the other hand, was a completely different story... :)

ab67616d0000b2732a85d17ba6acdb1c7ca734cc

It took some time, but this has grown on me considerably since it came out 5 years ago. More tentative textures, more "spacey", but with its own inherent values.

• 2 weeks later...