The Amazing Electronic Music Thread

A24

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

Sonically, BR is a unique film. Sometimes, I can't tell when music ends, and sound effects begin.

Indeed! That's a good of putting it, Richard. When I heard Memories Of Green in the movie (I never heard it before) I thought the beep sounds in the beginning of the track where coming from Deckard's apartment. 

Yeah, that's its most defining quality, which is why this score was the subject of my master thesis back in the early 2000s (to be specific, one out of three main analysis chapters in a thesis dealing with film music).

• 2 weeks later...

For Richard,

Even though it's not exactly the same, somehow I see this album as part of an extended Blade Runner universe, know what I'm saying? Take this track, for instance. With its sort of commercial messages, it could be perfect elevator music or music for shopping malls in the year 2019. 

Alex

Oh, great. You have just got to rub it in, haven't you?!

In all fairness, its a fantastic, and little-known album, and yes, elevator music, but fucking good elevator music. and its better than that 3rd disc on the 25th release!

BTW, my third fave Vangelis is SOIL FESTIVITIES.

Hmm, I didn't say See You Later is elevator music. I said that track I posted could be elevator music or music for shopping malls in a Blade Runner universe. There's a difference. You do know that See You Later is about a dystopian future, right? Right, Richard?!!

That's what I get for trying to post when I'm driving! :lol:

I know you meant NAB,AOT.

Wasn't aware that SYL was about that. I'll bear that in mind...whenever I get my mitts on a copy.

Couldn't lend me £140, could you?

I can't take it, anymore.

Too loud, too loud!

Wow! JMJ is doing OXYGENE 3!

From his Facebook page today:

December 2nd 1976 saw the release of Oxygene 1, which I can say changed my life !

Today, for its 40th anniversary I can reveal that a brand new album, Oxygene 3 will be released on December 2nd 2016.

I don’t necessarily like anniversaries that much…But when I was recording Electronica, two years ago, I did a piece of music (today Oxygene 19) that made me think about what Oxygene could be if I was composing it today. Then I took the 40th anniversary of the first album as a deadline to push myself to see if I could compose this new chapter in six weeks, just like I did for the first one: probably to avoid thinking too much about, whether it was a good idea or not, and also to record everything in one go… The idea was not to copy the first album, but rather keeping the dogma of embarking listeners on a journey from beginning to end with different chapters, all linked to each other.

:woop:

You're now free to post your customary "so what?", "JMJ was only good for the first couple of albums", "I hate JMJ", "this is doomed to fail" and other similar responses. I'm prepared.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

How can he call it OXYGENE 3, when we've already had OXYGENE 7-13 (which is a much overlooked record, BTW)?

It's probably just a temporary name. I'm sure it will be called OXYGENE 14-something when it gets out. And yes, OXYGENE 7-13 is a marvelous album!

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Thanks.

BTW, Thor, I've been meaning to ask you this for a long time: why exactly was MOON MACHINE left off of ZOOLOOK? Personally, I prefer MM to BLAH BLAH CAFÉ, but that's just me?

Good question, I don't know. I agree, though -- I also prefer "Moon Machine" over "Blah Blah Café".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On Canvas (highbrow TV channel) there's a nice series where musicians talk about what albums were important to them. Karen Willems, a Belgium experimental drummer, mentioned this one as a cornerstone album. Can you believe it?

cover_46391612112009.jpg

Can you?!

On 23/09/2016 at 3:24 AM, Prerecorded Briefing said:

:music:

Vangelis_El_Greco_album_art.jpeg

Excellent. Deep and Dark as hell (my Father once accurately referred to it in passing as music to cut your wrists to), best savoured in moderation.

On 30/09/2016 at 7:00 PM, Richard said:

How can he call it OXYGENE 3, when we've already had OXYGENE 7-13 (which is a much overlooked record, BTW)?

Mmm, I don't know. While I certainly appreciate aspects of Oxygene 7-13, to me it is let down by simply too much going on in it.

I get the impression he couldn't resist cramming as much sound into each piece as possible. Memorable moments, but a bit bloaty (imo).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not overly familiar with that pioneer either, I'm afraid. Thanks for the heads-up.

Makes sense that Jarre is "retro-fitting" the title of 7-13 (a great and underrated album, btw) with the release of no. 3. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/11/2016 at 6:22 PM, Richard said:

Give 7-13 another chance, Mel.

Well I've had it on CD since it came out, and occasionally it gets play. 

It has some great sections for sure, but something lacks (imo).

2 hours ago, Richard said:

As sequel albums go, it's one of the best, and it's better than both RENDEZVOUS, and REVOLUTIONS (yeuch!).

Blasphemy!!!

Ok, I'll concede that the show stopper bits in it have worn thin after so much concert overexposure. Rendezous 5 is always a gem though. 

Ok, I'll concede that Revolutions is a bit of a mish mash of concepts, though some equally amazing sections. 

People tend to think of Amarok as Ommadawn's unspoken sequel don't they. Unsure, but Amarok is a wacky gem all of its own. 

Did I ever tell you that I like Beer, and I like Cheese, I like the smell of a westerly Breeze?

But what I like more than all of these, is to be on horseback. 

Alright, I'll give you that. The modulation at 5:00 is great!

AMAROK is wacky, and nutty, and brilliant! I love the sound of the car, as it drives off. Branson wanted AMAROK to be TB II, but Oldfield said no, and that's why the Morse code spells out "fuck off R. B". I was at the premiere of TB III, at Horseguard's Parade, in 1998. It rained.

RENDEZ-VOUS is great (esp. if you look beyond the overexposed 'showstopper', as Melange says), but REVOLUTIONS is bloody brilliant! It's right up there in my Top 3 Jarre, probably.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Better than EQUINOXE?

Better than WAITING FOR COUSTEAU?

Better than CHRONOLOGIE?

Better than MAGNETIC FIELDS?

Better than...ZOOLOOK?

I like all of those, but yeah -- probably better than a couple of them, at least. It's very hard for me to rank JMJ, as I like pretty much everything he's ever done.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

........ but REVOLUTIONS is bloody brilliant! It's right up there in my Top 3 Jarre, probably.

Apart from being very exposed to Oxygene 4 in my youth via radio but not knowing who actually wrote it (or perhaps I did hear the name but had no face to put to the name, back then), Revolutions was the first album through which I was introduced to Jarre around 1989, would you believe. A friend of mine had it on cassette and I worked backwards from there, obtaining LPs of his earlier works. It is why I can't now imagine Revolutions 'without' tracks like Revolutions, London Kid, etc, but in the back of my mind I always wonder if he ever intended his album to be like that originally. The fantastic early instrumental movements seem like the direction he was probably going with it, but he either changed direction mid stream to reach a wider audience or some other reason. I don't know, I always feel like there was more to the Industrial Revolutions movements that we never got to hear. Oldfield started doing this as one point his career too, some instrumental sections and then opting to include more crowd pleasers, so to speak. 

At the end of the day, the post 'industrial' tracks are simply enjoyable and memorable too. I love this version of London Kid................. 3:52 , oh yeah :)

22 hours ago, Richard said:

AMAROK is wacky, and nutty, and brilliant!

It's a true gem, isn't it. 

I'll never tire of how he sneaks up on us and give us that Oldfieldgasm at 5:47 :P

Talking of Mike Oldfield (where are the days?), I've heard the original TB (the famous piano sequence) in a TV program again (used as background music). John Carpenter, Mike Oldfield, ... I guess the '70s are back, huh?  There was a time when you heard nothing else. Soon they start reusing Vangelis' Pulstar! 

Fox.

The first episode is really great -- retains some of the intensity of the Friedkin film. The rest of the show (so far) is quite good too, although never reaches the quality of the original film, of course. You have to think differently in a series format.

• 2 weeks later...

The Electronic Music thread also is for talking about sample libraries and virtual instruments.

Composers looking for a cinematic piano, check out this!

(especially cinematic at around 01.00)

and 

http://www.cinematicstudioseries.com/piano.html#videos

That is certainly an option for those with the budget, the space, and the necessary sonic isolation so as to not disturb the neighbors. You know, all the same luxuries that permit one to use a real orchestra instead of a virtual one.