Please, tell me: What's so special about...

Vertigo.

This is declared as an absolute masterpiece, one of the best scores ever written. But I have problems with this score. It can't stand to me. I try everything: Read interviews and musical analysis, listen carefully to the score, analyse the sheet music. I even studied the musical book from University of Wisconsin Press, but nothing helped.

Even in this forum and die-hard JW fans, the Vertigo score is considered to be a masterpiece. Please do not tell me something about the three pieces (Prelude, Scene D'Amour and Farewell). For only for those cues, I can easily buy a compilation, where Herrmann conducts the three pieces and done!

Some people recommends The Forest and the complete Madeleine Scene, but I find those rahter boring. There is a Mercury CD with eight tracks I want to give a try. Maybe you can convince me that the complete score is important or give me a recommendation to buy the eight track version. Most people would say: "Take the complete score!", because of the tracks I mentioned above.

Or maybe I have to live with it, it never meant anything for me. Personally, I find the best works from Bernard Herrmann are not those with Hitchcock related.

What do you think?

It's decent, but by no means the 'greatest film of all time' or such bollocks. Superlative cinematography and score, but that's it. Personally I prefer OBSESSION, which is Brian De Palma's more adult re-working of the same theme. Cliff Robertson and Geneviève Bujold are wonderful in it.

... oh wait, we're talking about the score? If that's the case, I still prefer OBSESSION.

Why do you pressure yourself to like it, while it is clear that it doesn't get into you?

I would suggest to leave it at that now, and revisit it after some years.

I frequently found myself loving something (a film mostly, or a soundtrack), that I didn't like at first.

Maybe the same could happen to you!

I've never seen this score considered as one of the greatest ever written. Sure, it's got Herrmann behind it, but beyond that I wouldn't say it gets singled out particularly. I very much enjoy it, but a lot of the score has a reflective nature which clicks with me.

If it doesn't click with you, it doesn't click. I find the idea that a score is so revered that everyone must enjoy it absolutely ludicrous

The #1 score on this forum fitting that criteria is probably ESB. I saw the first half hour of the film for the first time recently, and found Williams' music distracting at times. It's just not for me.

This is why composers should strive for mediocrity in their scores because it becomes too damn distracting if it's really good.

I understand that moderation can be a virtue in film scoring, but there's nothing wrong with the occasional scene and moments in a film enhanced with spectacular music.

To quote Max Bialystock from The Producers: If you got it, flaunt it, baby!

I was never able to "get" VERTIGO, actually. It's great in the movie and everything, but as a soundtrack album it always grated on me. Highpitched, repetitive figures en masse.

Glad I'm not the only one to hold such a 'minority view'.

I was never able to "get" VERTIGO, actually. It's great in the movie and everything, but as a soundtrack album it always grated on me. Highpitched, repetitive figures en masse.

Please don't tell me you'd consider buying a complete and chronological presentation of the score!

This is why composers should strive for mediocrity in their scores because it becomes too damn distracting if it's really good.

I understand that moderation can be a virtue in film scoring, but there's nothing wrong with the occasional scene and moments in a film enhanced with spectacular music.

No, film music must be as bland as possible so that it doesn't clash with the director's vision. Composers can be such egomaniacs!

No, film music must be as bland as possible so that it doesn't clash with the director's vision. Composers can be such egomaniacs!

What makes you think that film music is not a part of a film (or a director's vision), so it should be as bland as possible?

Then, in the same way, cinematography should be as bland as possible, so as not to "clash with the director's vision".

Or costumes. Or sets. Or any other technical aspect.

What makes you think that film music is not a part of a film (or a director's vision), so it should be as bland as possible?

large.jpg

Music is dangerous. You must handle it with care. Just read Plato.

They didn't have films in Plato's time.

@Bloodboal

Ah, ok. i can't understand when someone is sarcastic or not, without a proper emoticon.

I don't know everyone's characters here..

Vertigo.

This is declared as an absolute masterpiece, one of the best scores ever written. But I have problems with this score. It can't stand to me. I try everything: Read interviews and musical analysis, listen carefully to the score, analyse the sheet music. I even studied the musical book from University of Wisconsin Press, but nothing helped.

Even in this forum and die-hard JW fans, the Vertigo score is considered to be a masterpiece. Please do not tell me something about the three pieces (Prelude, Scene D'Amour and Farewell). For only for those cues, I can easily buy a compilation, where Herrmann conducts the three pieces and done!

Some people recommends The Forest and the complete Madeleine Scene, but I find those rahter boring. There is a Mercury CD with eight tracks I want to give a try. Maybe you can convince me that the complete score is important or give me a recommendation to buy the eight track version. Most people would say: "Take the complete score!", because of the tracks I mentioned above.

Or maybe I have to live with it, it never meant anything for me. Personally, I find the best works from Bernard Herrmann are not those with Hitchcock related.

What do you think?

It's an outstanding score. Perhaps it's better listening to it in the context of the film, rather than without the film. Certain scenes resonate in either case, though, such as the cue around 5:20 in "The Necklace, The Return and Finale". It's a beautiful, haunting piece of music especially when paired with the line "You shouldn't have been that sentimental."

Like Sharky, and many others, I prefer Herrmann's OBSESSION over VERTIGO. Wish we'd get a f**king full release on CD.

Now, tell me what's so special about James Horner's score for ALIENS. Nothing? Oh, alright.

Edit: 69th post. heh heh heh.

@Bloodboal

Ah, ok. i can't understand when someone is sarcastic or not, without a proper emoticon.

After years of posting here you expect anything less from Bloodboal??????

Now, tell me what's so special about James Horner's score for ALIENS. Nothing? Oh, alright.

Will you have my babies?

On the topic of VERTIGO, even if the odd-60 minutes of underscore do nothing for you, just the main titles and the scene d'amour are more towering achievements than most other composer's could have possibly achieved. And the movie, odd duck it is, gains its dreamy, delirious state in large parts by BH's music. It's not a score i revisit particularly often (Herrmann consumes me!) just as i don't revisit OBSESSION, but when i have them on rotation i just know that this is the stuff the dreaded term MASTERPIECE was conjured for.

Music is dangerous. You must handle it with care. Just read Plato.

They didn't have films in Plato's time.

@Bloodboal

Emoticons kill the effect.

Herrmann's Vertigo is a certified film music masterpiece. Just live with it!

For me the allure of the score past the obvious highlights is the subtle inventively subtextual underscore Herrmann conjures with such apparent ease. The habanera rhythm for Carlotta suggesting the woman's Spanish roots and the tentatively romantic yet uneasy mood of the dialogue scenes. It is not complex but highly economic for the most part yet has a sort of elegance that just tickles my fancy. I have often remarked on Herrmann's masterful way of creating unease in even his loveliest melodies and moods and there is a ghostly suggestion of the supernatural about this music, which deals with the central subtexts of the film very aptly. Then again I can wax poetic to the point of incoherence about this music since I like it so much.

A good example of a classic film music masterpiece that I can't get into is North's Spartacus. All the praise on its different aspects doesn't really help to rationalize the greatness of the music for me when I don't hear it.

Quint-o! You came back from the depths of the big blue!

Quint-o! You came back from the depths of the big blue!

Quint-Gon Jinn has returned from the netherworld of the Force.

It's the JWFanners that go swimming with the bow-legged women!

A haiku of my perspective from where I last left off:

I look as this thread :rolleyes:

With a big and cheesy grin. :mrgreen:

My work here is done. (Y)

Emoticons are fun.

In addition to the above comments, I would say that I love the way Herrmann develops the themes in a very operatic fashion. There's a Wagnerian touch to the score that I'm sure was intentional--indeed, the film is very much like a cinematic opera without singing. Ultimately it's up to you what clicks in terms of the musical taste, of course.