Music Inspired by The Life and Times of Scrooge

Olivier

A friend told me about it some weeks ago (yes, I forgot to tell you; sorry) , and the album is coming out this week:

http://www.tuomas-holopainen.com/en/news/397-scrooge-album-details

Song video:

http://www.tuomas-holopainen.com/en/scrooge-en/a-lifetime-of-adventure-video

Trailer/Interview:

http://www.tuomas-holopainen.com/en/scrooge-en/album-trailers

It sounds nice (especially what can be heard midway of the trailer).

There's a deluxe edition (the on I'll get) featuring an instrumental-only version.

According to this page, there seems to also be a Deluxe Edition with Poster package-- oh wait: it's no longer available :(

amazon.co.uk ASIN: B00I38JJ26 (Deluxe)

amazon.fr ASIN B00I38JJ26 (Deluxe)

amazon.com ASIN: B00I38JJ2Q (1CD version)

Label's site: NuclearBlast

scr0001.giflivier

Even though Tuomas Holopainen is a fellow Finn I can't say I am much excited after listening to the samples at Amazon.fr. As far as soundtracks go this sounds rather amateurish (especially the orchestral parts) but then again I am not a huge fan of Nightwish's music either and this has plenty of similarities to Holopainen's previous work with his band. But I guess one should not judge it as a soundtrack per se but rather a concept album inspired by the graphic novel. Don Rosa's work is truly exceptional in the genre of Donald Duck comics (more Scrooge McDuck) and no wonder it has inspired people throughout the world, Holopainen included.

I can't say I am much excited after listening to the samples at Amazon.fr.

?!

I still cannot see any samples on either amazon.fr (both editions) or amazon.co.uk (both editions).

I can't say I am much excited after listening to the samples at Amazon.fr.

?!

I still cannot see any samples on either amazon.fr (both editions) or amazon.co.uk (both editions).

Curious. They are in the tracklist area of the Amazon.fr page for the Deluxe edition for which you provided a link in your opening post.

Nope. Nothing.

(Whether using Explorer or Firefox)

obs00096.gif

Odd.

Hey, I can see the samples in Chrome!

Weird.

obs00013.gif

I like the samples.

It may not be on par with our best beloved film music composers, but it sounds nice and good; despite the contribution of an orchestrator, this may just be because it's not Holopainen's specialty, and, as you noted, it should be considered as a concept album.

I was a bit dubious when I was told about this; I do not know the group at all. The little I heard was reassuring.

What you said worried me a bit, but judging from what I have heard now, I don't think I will regret it, especially thanks to the CD of instrumental versions.

It's such a rare opportunity, too, having a score for a comic or a book.

I only know of (have both) Joel McNeely's Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, The Alan Parsons Project's Tales of Mystery and Imagination. There must have been others, but not that many, I think.

scr0002.giflivier

It's such a rare opportunity, too, having a score for a comic or a book.

I only know of (have both) Joel McNeely's Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, The Alan Parsons Project's Tales of Mystery and Imagination. There must have been others, but not that many, I think.

Also sprach Zarathustra... Kullervo...

I have listened to this a bit over the past few days. It is certainly a varied album, with several culturally specific elements.
Also a fair few enjoyable melodies. Some songs as well. It is probably more "pop-inspired" than actual orchestral soundtracks.
But for the most part not in a Hans Zimmer way, except for the "Duel" music. But even that is quite a fun listen.

First listen, not quite half through (track 5).

I like it a lot.

It is more (melo)dramatic (the best word i can think of)) than a score would be, but that's because it's not a score, and it's clearly closer to the composer's sensibility and usual style, which I am not familiar with, but you can clearly hear he is more song- and concert- inclined, as Pieter noted; the last minute of track 5 is quite a case in point: it crescendos in such a way some songs do; you can imagine the singer giving it his all at the end, only there are no lyrics at that point; (Yes, I suck at describing; sorry :( ); he goes for powerful emotional conclusions.

That's fine because it is nicely done and very pleasant throughout.

I have found this video, in which Holopainen says a few words about each track (alternate link),

and another one of the main song, featuring a montage of photos (mostly of the divinely lovely Johanna Kurkela-- who has a very nice voice).

Oh, and now this second trailer, about the idea of doing this album (I have not watched it yet).

Conclusion: i do not regret buying it all.

us00001.giflivier

I took a quick listen of the album and it is actually better than I expected. Rooted often in a song writing mode but there are some nice melodies and colours here although a bit too unisono Zimmerish influences here and there. But otherwise a nice surprise I have to admit. Better definitely than the clips made it out to be. :)

Playing the instrumental version now.

I really love it. It's quite refreshing.

It is probably more "pop-inspired" than actual orchestral soundtracks.
But for the most part not in a Hans Zimmer way, except for the "Duel" music. But even that is quite a fun listen.

A lot of fun! I love the rhythm-- which lends it more of a Native American quality than Scottish, I think, but the whole is great.

us00003.giflivier