'Music for Brass': New Williams work for Brass Ensemble

Joe Brausam

I just searched "Gloria 2015" and "Gloria spring" and "Gloria year" in my email inbox and I didn't get anything...I don't remember her ever mentioning a date for release

I just searched "Gloria 2015" and "Gloria spring" and "Gloria year" in my email inbox and I didn't get anything...I don't remember her ever mentioning a date for release

She mentioned it on her FB page:

Great film composers writing for solo piano. CD release in early 2015 on Harmonia mundi USA, Film to be shared on Youtube as soon as it's ready, Pics to be shared here.

https://www.facebook.com/gloriachengpiano/media_set?set=a.10203440867443558.1073741829.1268902340&type=1

Thank you for your thoughts indy4! Sounds like an intriguing and exciting piece! And thank you for giving your initial impressions as I am sure it is difficult to assess a new work intricately just after hearing for the first time. I hope we have a chance to hear this soon! :)

• 5 months later...

Oh yea, I forgot a CD was confirmed!

Maybe I missed this piece of information, but where was a CD or, in fact, any recording confirmed for "Music for Brass"? Or did I misunderstand something?

Ah, yes it mentions a future CD recording in that article, but no date, alas. If the article was written back in June, they should probably have recorded it by now, right?

I would assume it would be a live recording of the concert. Most concert music in the US isn't done in studio recording environments anymore due to costs.

So if the recording was made in June, why is there no sign of a release now, 5 months later? (I have no clue about how album production timelines work, btw).

• 4 months later...

https://www.sfcv.org/article/san-francisco-conservatory-of-music-president-goes-on-the-record

As for that new record label and its debut release, close to [san Francisco Conservatory of Music President David] Stull’s tubist heart, he notes that aside from [san Francisco] Symphony trombonist Tim Higgins’ resetting of a collection of [Giovanni] Gabrieli canzones, madrigals, and magnificats, the disc will include a brand new fanfare, Music for Brass, composed and donated by an enthusiastic John Williams. The Gabrieli material, debuted in performance at the Green Music Center in Sonoma last June, will join the Williams’ material in a roll-out of the new label at Symphony Hall in Chicago on September 20, under the baton of Riccardo Muti, with a possible tour of the National Brass Ensemble to follow. Stull will be there. And his so-far unnamed label will then set itself, he promises, to "projects that wouldn’t otherwise be produced because the economics don’t exist to support them."

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hope it also gets available in iTunes, as the Williams piece is the only one I want, really (not that the other pieces aren't great as well; I'm sure they are).

• 3 weeks later...

When the ensemble is small enough that everyone can be in "communication" with each other, you don't need a conductor. But when you have a big group, you need that focal point. It's more than just keeping time, a lot more.

Theoretically speaking, if every musician knows his part and every other part very well, you don't need a conductor. There will be a more interaction between the musicians than with with a conductor, but yes, it might be a problem with very large orchestras (especially when augmented with choirs). It's no secret that orchestras can play the classic hits perfectly without a conductor.