Yet another Spielberg project: "The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara"

mrbellamy

2 hours ago, Romão said:

He's probably playing the adult Edgardo

My thoughts as well.

Spielberg's assembling one hell of a team for this film. Sounding great!

I've seen some people speculate that he could be playing the father. Would be cool if he has a role that lets us see him and Rylance together a fair amount. Those two will certainly know what to do with Tony Kushner dialogue.

Whatever one's opinion of Lincoln and Bridge of Spies, I do feel like Spielberg's direction of actors has become more astute than ever. Lately he seems to love simply watching people talk more than anything, even in The BFG. It's like he looked back at his career and suddenly realized he never made a great chamber drama, perhaps a type of film he always admired but never thought was in his wheelhouse until now.

He's never exactly been Sidney Lumet or Mike Nichols in that respect, but he is so naturally crafty and such an underrated director of actors that I am curious if he has it in him to make a talky masterpiece. The kind of movie that has the dramatic quality and atmosphere of a scene like this throughout its running time:

He made a strong go of it with Lincoln, a fantastic screenplay that was held back somewhat IMO by an unusually reserved and objective directorial approach....which on some level is what you want but somehow it could have used a little more fire. But it has individually great scenes and you do get these bursts of outrage or dialogue-chewing from DDL or Tommy Lee Jones that are just so impressive that you feel like, if Spielberg could only channel all that energy from his blockbusters, epics, and thrillers into the entirety of his dramas he might be on to something. Munich had a lot of nerve, but that also allowed him to be in his element with a built-in action/suspense component, same with Schindler's sense of scope. Could Spielberg ever make his 12 Angry Men, Network, The Verdict?

I think Kushner's good for him, though, his writing has such a strong vitality and POV that I feel like there's still a lot of potential for Spielberg to really bring it, cinematically.

• 1 month later...

RPO: November-February

VIII: March-September

KOEM: October-December 

RPO Pickups: January-March 2018

:)

Also, I hate to say it, but on the surface this story seems remarkably dull to me.

If Williams can't do it, one of the Newmans can! I want more Rey's Theme!

I think there'll be some extensive choir pieces if JW scores this. Given the time period and location, it has the potential to be a goldmine for Williams, probably the type of score very few modern composers actually have the classical musical literacy to write. I'm guessing he would channel the operatic romanticism of 19th century Italian composers; fitting for that era.

Certainly uncharted territory for both Spielberg and Williams, so that's exciting I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2016 at 4:45 AM, TownerFan said:

Harvey Weinstein is preparing another film on the same subject, with Robert De Niro set to star:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielberg-harvey-weinstein-prep-928387

Typical Hollywood craziness.

What the...

It's not the first time such things happen. They seem to happen with regular intervals (DEEP IMPACT/ARMAGEDDON, ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES/ROBIN HOOD, JOBS/STEVE JOBS, THE CAVE/THE DESCENT, DANTE'S PEAK/VOLCANO and so on).

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Indeed, although some of those are a bit of a stretch. Yes, both THE ROAD and THE BOOK OF ELI are postapocalyptic films, but that's pretty much where the similarity ends.

Yeah, I'm not sure how that "rights" stuff works.  I can understand two movies being made about he same subject if they're based on different sources, but how can different studios make a movie on the same novel if the rights are with Spielberg?  Same thing I don't get about The Jungle Book.  Doesn't Disney have the rights, how is another movie coming out next year?

43 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Same thing I don't get about The Jungle Book.  Doesn't Disney have the rights, how is another movie coming out next year?

What do you mean? Next year's JUNGLE BOOK 2 is Disney's sequel to the film this year, right?

There is no Jungle Book film coming out next year

There is one coming out in 2018 that is directed by Andy Serkis, and is completely unrelated to any of the Disney films

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Book_(2018_film)

2 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how that "rights" stuff works.  I can understand two movies being made about he same subject if they're based on different sources, but how can different studios make a movie on the same novel if the rights are with Spielberg?  Same thing I don't get about The Jungle Book.  Doesn't Disney have the rights, how is another movie coming out next year?

I'm definitely not an expert on copyright, but I think that Spielberg having the book means that he only has rights to Kertzer's interpretation and account of the Mortara story (for example if Kertzer invented any dialogue, Tony Kushner could use that) plus they get the book's title, but since the story itself is true and has been documented by so many sources, I don't think Kertzer could claim that Weinstein is infringing on his specific copyrighted work just by making a movie about the case.

Also Jungle Book is public domain now, I think.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

There is no Jungle Book film coming out next year

There is one coming out in 2018 that is directed by Andy Serkis, and is completely unrelated to any of the Disney films

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Book_(2018_film)

Yes, Jon Favreau has THE JUNGLE BOOK 2 out next year:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5626032/

• 3 months later...

Amblin Announces Casting Call for Title Character in “The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara”

The article mentions "The film will shoot in Europe beginning April, 2017", so if all goes to plan it seems it will be finished in time to come out by the end of this year.  So, Williams should be able to score it in between Episode 8 main scoring, and any last minute Episode 8 rewrites.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2016 at 5:39 PM, Jay said:

But will Williams score it?

Just a reminder that that question hasn't been officially answered yet, since there seems to be an assumption that he will. :)

After TLJ, only Ready Player One and Indiana Jones 5 have been confirmed to be scored by Williams.

7 hours ago, Ricard said:

Just a reminder that that question hasn't been officially answered yet, since there seems to be an assumption that he will. :)

I really hope he's able to score it.  In some ways, I'm actually looking forward to it more than VIII.  

It's been easy to forget that (barring unexpected developments, of course) this will be our next Williams score release, even before TLJ! 

I wonder what angle Williams would approach this from culturally.   Will it feature religious choral and/or Italian influences or will it be more of a "vanilla" drama score in the vein of The Book Thief/Angela's Ashes?

15 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

religious choral and/or Italian influences

I'm betting on this. Or at least it's what I've been imagining. 

I doubt Spielberg would settle for a "regular" drama score. He may request a religious flavor.

30 minutes ago, Will said:

I'm betting on this. Or at least it's what I've been imagining. 

I doubt Spielberg would settle for a "regular" drama score. He may request a religious flavor.

That would be ideal.  Williams hasn't done much choral music lately (apart from a couple isolated examples such as "Appomattox, April 9th, 1865" and the low-male droning of "Snoke") 

10 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I wonder what angle Williams would approach this from culturally.   Will it feature religious choral and/or Italian influences or will it be more of a "vanilla" drama score in the vein of The Book Thief/Angela's Ashes?

You literally just put one of Williams' weakest scores (THE BOOK THIEF) next to one of his strongest (ANGELA'S ASHES). But yeah -- I'm also curious about how he would approach this. If there's any religiousity in it, that would be tremendous -- it is, after all, my favourite "sound" of his.

Given that religious identity is the central theme of the story, I can't see how Williams would overlook it. Both the Jewish and Italian aspects. The Pope is one of the lead characters.

JW rarely misses a chance to infuse religious/cultural instrumentation into his scores with a focus on religion. Schindler's List and Munich being obvious examples.

10 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Well, the story takes place in mid-19th century Italy, the period when Giuseppe Verdi was at the height of his power... It'd be very nice indeed if Williams will put some genuine Italian operatic flair into it. It's known he loves Italian opera composers, so perhaps he will pour some of that into the score.

56 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Well, the story takes place in mid-19th century Italy, the period when Giuseppe Verdi was at the height of his power... It'd be very nice indeed if Williams will put some genuine Italian operatic flair into it. It's known he loves Italian opera composers, so perhaps he will pour some of that into the score.

Morricone would be a better choice for this film!