John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon 2

Jay

Well, my copy of the US CD arrived yesterday from Amazon. It's in a really flimsy cardboard digipak! And annoyingly, the back cover has the track names listed in a giant blob, with no numbers before each track!

So not only do foreign copies get an extra track, you guys get it in a jewel case too! Bah!

EDIT: OK I found some pictures on FSM, sadly doesn't show off the terrible back cover though

dragons_cd1.jpg

dragons_cd2.jpg

Order the UK version if you can!

From just having watched the movie, I think there's about 10 minutes of unreleased material. It's mostly short cues, but they are extremly well done and sounded quite delicious. One in particular was during Eret's boat scene when a delightful swashbuckling cue (very piratey) played that wish was on the album. Ah well, they will probably surface on the sessions.

Also, the film seems to use a couple of alternates. The beggining of Flying with Mother is slighty shortened and the bagpipe plays it a little differently -I think it's the same on the end credits, which features a slight alternate from the Dragon Racing cue which sounds essentially the same but some slight differences in orchestration, particularly some differences in percussion and the trumpets. Also the Where No One Goes song sounds different on the film and much better in my opinion. There's some extra strings that don't seem to be on the album version.

That's about it. Beautiful mix by the way on the film, the score sounded quite clear and had its nice spotlight. I stayed until the credits ended to enjoy Powell blasting through the speakers in 7.1. Great stuff.

One in particular was during Eret's boat scene when a delightful swashbuckling cue (very piratey) played that wish was on the album.

was not that in Toothless Lost?

Yeah, but there's an additional part when Astrid and company break Eret's ship sails that's not included in the album. Also there's a great variation on Astrid's theme that's featured when she kidnapps Eret (which on the clips was tracked with Dinosaur if I remember correctly).

Yeah, but there's an additional part when Astrid and company break Eret's ship sails that's not included in the album. Also there's a great variation on Astrid's theme that's featured when she kidnapps Eret (which on the clips was tracked with Dinosaur if I remember correctly).

BTW you won'nd happen to remember the chronological order would ya?

I think the only thing that's really out of order is Flying with Mother, which should be right after Losing Mom if I'm not mistaken. And of course Where No One Goes should technically be right after the first track, and also at the end.

I think that's about it. The rest seems to be in chronological order.

• 2 weeks later...

These are I found in the HTTYD 2 "Storybook" App, the tracks seem to be in demo mockup form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQH-kiui4D0

01 "Berk Theme Demo" (00:18)
02 "Close The Storm Doors! End Demo" (00:22)
03 "DragonRacingBerkFriendshipThemeDemo" (00:28)
04 "racing game - level 1 music (" (00:34)
05 "racing game - level 1 music (" (00:29)
06 "DragonRacingEndDemo" (00:08)
07 "DragonRacingIntroDemo" (00:10)
08 "DragonRacingSheepMotifDemo" (00:21)
09 "game over" (00:06)
10 "GameLoop" (00:24)
11 "HiccupConfrontsDragoDemo" (00:15)
12 "HiccupConfrontsDragoDemo2" (00:23)
13 "intro 321" (00:06)
14 "racing game - level 2 music (" (00:35)
15 "racing game - level 2 music (" (00:30)
16 "LosingMomDemo" (00:20)
17 "MeetDragoDemo" (00:23)
18 "MeetDragoDemo2" (00:28)
19 "menuStormfly" (00:03)
20 "menuToothless" (00:03)
21 "loop 4 (fun)mono send" (00:29)
22 "ShouldIKnowYouDemo" (00:16)
23 "ShouldIKnowYouPt2Demo" (00:21)
24 "Stoick'sShipDemo" (00:29)
25 "TestDriveDemo" (00:17)
26 "ThereAreOthersDemo" (00:23)
27 "TogetherWeMapTheWorldDemo" (00:25)
28 "TogetherWeMapTheWorldThemeHeroic" (00:21)
29 "TrappersDemo" (00:28)
30 "TwoNewAlphasDemo" (00:16)
31 "Unknown" (00:30)
32 "Valka'sDragonSanctuaryDemo" (00:35)

• 2 weeks later...

Little question: Is the choir in Flying with Mother singing anything in particular or is it just wordless? To me it seems they're singing something (could be gibberish) but I don't know what language it could be, maybe some Nordic or Viking-ish.

Anyone know?

These HTTYD scores still do nothing for me. I mean, I've just listened to HTTYD 2 and the Zelda 25 anniversary concert back to back, and the Zelda music kicks Powell's ass, it's not even funny.

Yeah, all 5 new themes are quite strong (Map/Hiccup theme, Valka/Stoick love theme, Lost and Found theme, Drago's theme and Alpha theme).

And yes, as some people already said, it's absolutely a blast to hear this music with the film, something that doesn't happen a lot to orchestral scores these days.

Karol

• 1 month later...

KK's inevitable "Clemmensen is awesome!" response in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

Clemmenson is awesome!

Don't necessarily agree with all his views, but his opinions are his opinions. He is a good reviewer.

But the guy is a douchebag, right?

And this assessment is based on what, exactly? Be aware that I have a Nazgûl on speed-dial...

But the guy is a douchebag, right?

Yes, he is. With no qualifications to that.

What does one qualifications need to be in order to be a soundtrack reviewer?

I just stated a simple fact, and now everyone seems to be offended for some weird reason.

Yeeeess....you have done well.

I will be following your career with interest!