John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon 2

Jay

Sausage anyone?

Clemmenson is still an enemy. He brushes many of my personal favorite cues aside and labels them trash. His word is final it seems. No one dare contradict him. Or else.

He kind of does, actually. ;)

Karol

We contradict Stefan on daily basis. Hence the huge post count. He has to call everybody idiot at least once a day. ;)

Lovely! Each time I listen to it I love it even more, one of THE Powell cues of his career. I specially love the "jazzy" part on the middle, with the relaxing percussion and the chilling choir.

Great stuff.

You mean Hiccup's theme?

Karol

Ah so that is what it is. Nice to discover new stuff about this score still. :)

I just saw the film and the score worked brilliantly and really brought home the themes of the film.

I still wonder why didn't Cate Blanchett sing the For the Dancing and the Dreaming herself. Perhaps she doesn't have that good of a singing voice then.

I think it is, it may be also exploration/map theme. But because it underscores Hiccup's interaction with his mother in this sequence and him in other scenes I thought it must be related to him specifically. The main theme in that cue, sung by chorus, is called "lost and found" theme. Which represents many different plot points in the film.

I like Alpha theme very much - second part of track 7. A darker variation (related to evil Alpha) you can hear at the beginning of the battle cue.

Courting song also appears as a theme in the score. Not only in Stoick's funeral, but at the very beginning of Hiccup confronts Alpha scene.

Drago's theme you know.

And there are few others I can't recall at the moment. But there are definitely around a dozen of them in the score ot more (including the ones from first film).

Karol

Yeah that Hiccup/Exploration theme was perhaps the one I was least actively aware of but yes it is featured throughout. Powell keeps juggling a lot of material in the film and on the album. Watching the film clarified a lot of thematics of the score for me, as usual.

At first I thought it's maybe because she had never sung before (at least according to IMDb) but the song it's sung on purpose a little "off-key" to make it feel more sincere instead of a squeak-clean Broadway number. So I don't see why she didn't want to do it; maybe she just wasn't available when those recording sessions took place.

He had a theme that represented his bond with Toothless, but not his own. That's how I see it.

But that's all incorrect anyway, because Powell doesn't like to associate themes with characters. That's not how he thinks.

Karol

He had a theme that represented his bond with Toothless, but not his own. That's how I see it.

Karol

Again he already had a theme.

It even appears in the the second film linked to Hiccup

He associates themes with ideas and plot points.

But, out of curiosity, which theme from the first score would you associate with Hiccup?

Karol

The theme that plays while Hiccup is falling down the mast of Eret's ship and later while Astrid is talking to Drago.

(0:49)

• 1 month later...

Is anybody else planning to edit the ending down? The final shot and the closing bars of John Powell's score are chill inducing... at least until the horrible pop song kicks in accompanied by awkward comedy and some nonsense about them being "warriors for peace".

We don't really disagree then. Notice how all these things relate to Hiccup's character in the second film. :)

Karol

Yes the new theme in HTYD 2 seems to connect with Hiccup's desire to belong, to know who he is and what is his place in the world. And of course all the stuff Faleel mentioned relates to this.

• 1 month later...

There seems to be a slight mixing mistake on the middle part of "Hiccup and Toothless Attacked", when the female choir sings solo Valka's theme. One of the choir sections seems to play a little later than the other one. Now, I don't know if this was a desired effect, but as it isn't on album I'm guessing it was an error of some kind.

Apart from that, this sounds so damn good. Finally we have "Me Likey"! :thumbup:

And also, that Astrid's theme heroic variation on "I Grew Facial Hair for You" is breathtaking.

And also, that Astrid's theme heroic variation on "I Grew Facial Hair for You" is breathtaking.

Cool title, too.

Yeah I was thinking exactly the same thing. :)

And yes the promo shows that main meat of the score is indeed on the OST. The additions on the promo are quite short in general.

There seems to be a slight mixing mistake on the middle part of "Hiccup and Toothless Attacked", when the female choir sings solo Valka's theme. One of the choir sections seems to play a little later than the other one. Now, I don't know if this was a desired effect, but as it isn't on album I'm guessing it was an error of some kind.

Well that is unfortunate. I wonder if the error will be discovered, and the file replaced on the website eventually?

192 kbps.

Jeez, that is also unfortunate. Shouldn't they provide the best quality possible if they want academy members to vote for them?

I doubt the academy members would hear a difference, or that their votes would be different if the sound quality was better.

And Powell is not nearly as exotic sounding a name to have even a snowflake's chance in hell to win an Oscar for Best Score.

Woah! I wonder if it's less brickwalled too

Yes.

Nice to hear the unmicroedited Dragon Racing cue.

Also note that an instrument is missing in the film/fyc version.