John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon 2

Jay

And some film edits (Together We Map The World, Meet Drago, Drago Battle)

There is also an alternate version of Stoick Finds Beauty.

Alternate? I think you mean unmicroedited.

Alpha comes to berk is also a film edit.

Challenging the Alpha (Two New Alphas on the OST) is unmicroedited.

Hiccup's Gonna Be Chief is a film edit.

Eret Has Visitors is a film edit but it also has a slightly longer silence.

Sounds like "Facial Hair" has some of the cue dialed out like in the film, you can hear an echo of music right before the Astrid them bit comes in.

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched the film a couple of days ago (still brilliant in my opinion, I liked it even better than before) and I noticed that what I thought was a choir mixing mistake on "Hiccup and Toothless Attacked" is actually how it's on the film, so I guess it wasn't a mistake after all. It could be that's how they decided to go after it was recorded or it was Powell's original intention all along but decided to "join" the choirs for the album version to make it a more pleasant listening experience.

The version we have on the FYC is what makes the scene and makes it so chilling. It's fantastic.

I just watched the film a couple of days ago (still brilliant in my opinion, I liked it even better than before) and I noticed that what I thought was a choir mixing mistake on "Hiccup and Toothless Attacked" is actually how it's on the film, so I guess it wasn't a mistake after all. It could be that's how they decided to go after it was recorded or it was Powell's original intention all along but decided to "join" the choirs for the album version to make it a more pleasant listening experience.

Also, if you notice, on the album, it has an additional instrument, the FYC and film do not have it, and is only the Choir.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There's this great documentary about the movie and around the 43 minute mark there's a little feature about the music and it's actually pretty cool, the whole thing is quite interesting to watch, but in particular I liked the music segment best for the Powell-Jonsi scenes jamming together in John's studio and I also I didn't knew that now Powell records the orchestra all together. In the previous Dragon score, the sections were recorded separately: Woodwinds in one session, brasses in other, strings, in other an so on... I wonder if that's why the sequel score feels a lot more organic.

Anyways, the documentary:

http://www.dwaawards.com/video/

• 1 year later...

I'm currently relishing the Deluxe Edition of How to Train Your Dragon 2. I'm no audiophile but it seems the recording or mixing is a little different - I can only say that because I'm so familiar with some tracks (take the end Toothless Found, for example). Can anyone confirm this, and the reasons for it?

2 hours ago, Miz said:

I'm currently relishing the Deluxe Edition of How to Train Your Dragon 2. I'm no audiophile but it seems the recording or mixing is a little different - I can only say that because I'm so familiar with some tracks (take the end Toothless Found, for example). Can anyone confirm this, and the reasons for it?

There is only one official soundtrack release for HTTYD 2:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JLKHTCW

So, what you're listening to is a bootleg, and I'm not surprised the sound is different...

Both Dragon scores have academy promos that sound much better than the brickwalled official albums.

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

You didn't buy this 'Deluxe Edition' did you Miz?

I doubt he did. There's a "deluxe edition" fan edit that recently turned up on that forum though. Never checked it out myself as I'm actually really happy with my own edit.

DL-ST.net, if y'interested.

This Deluxe Edition is a great edition, lots of alternates, good sound quality. I think it's an academy promo that somebody mentioned.

• 3 years later...
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2014 at 10:04 PM, King Mark said:

we'll see

Edit:alright after listening to a few tracks I see this is going to be even more of a chore to get through than Maleficient and Godzilla. Powell sound like orchestral RCP to me

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. It sounds more like you want it to sound like that. I'm re-discovering these scores because of the Art of the Score podcast and as far as I'm concerned they're masterpieces. Better than twat JW has been up to since 2017.

On 4/18/2014 at 7:32 PM, Hlao-roo said:

The first score is fun through the first couple of spins. Outside of a few highlights (e.g., "Forbidden Friendship"), though, I don't think it wears very well.

A classic that will go down in history as one of THE GREATEST SCORES OF ALL-TIME!

Sheesh! This board; if it's not by JW....

😎

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

I don't know about classic, though. The second one is even better, IMO. But yeah, how anyone can find this bad is beyond me.

Both ERIK WOODS and I agree :it's the Best Score of the Decade.

And, we rarely agree on ANYTHING! 😆

The sequel score added some great new themes. Love the score,  not the film.