New Silva Screen Compilation - The Music of John Barry - The Definitive Collection

Mr. Brown

My problem with their Bond box set was that some of the music didn't sound like Barry at all.

Some of the OHMSS music was particularly not so great.

Here are some additional samples from the new album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vmmspzXhAI&index=7&list=PLqNgXNl5eP7pDxVLAvDdf6NCZVl8zUYQG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojR6MkMKTP4&index=4&list=PLqNgXNl5eP7pDxVLAvDdf6NCZVl8zUYQG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVi1G2Oc8DA&list=PLqNgXNl5eP7pDxVLAvDdf6NCZVl8zUYQG&index=8

Hell's bells that "Wednesday's Child" is different. Seems more suitable for when Quiller is drugged up.

Dunno, I might be tempted by this collection or see if my dad gets it then borrow it rather than spend bucks on it myself.

I've just plain grown to dislike rerecorded material over the years. They never quite seem to do justice to the original versions (with some exceptions, of course—Charles Gerhardt always seems to nail it, doesn't he?). John Barry in particular imbued his scores with a certain, ethereal quality that can't be easy to imitate properly. A couple of the tracks posted above get it pretty close, but there's something deeper and more majestic about the original "Flight Into Space," especially in the first section of the piece.

I always wind up listening to rerecordings with a heavily critical ear, watching for mistakes and shortcomings. It's too taxing, not enjoyable enough. I'll probably skip this set as well.

- Uni

Most of this stuff is readily available in good sounding original recordings so why bother? You can buy WEDNESDAY CHILD off iTunes in like 6 or 7 versions recorded in the 60's and all sounding pristine.

I've just plain grown to dislike rerecorded material over the years. They never quite seem to do justice to the original versions (with some exceptions, of course—Charles Gerhardt always seems to nail it, doesn't he?). John Barry in particular imbued his scores with a certain, ethereal quality that can't be easy to imitate properly. A couple of the tracks posted above get it pretty close, but there's something deeper and more majestic about the original "Flight Into Space," especially in the first section of the piece.

It's worth noting that's it's all been transcribed-by-ear by Nic Raine, so there's bound to be a number of mistakes. The orchestra in the recording doesn't sound very polished, either, though they've improved in the last decade.

I always wind up listening to rerecordings with a heavily critical ear, watching for mistakes and shortcomings. It's too taxing, not enjoyable enough. I'll probably skip this set as well.

- Uni

A lot of rerecorded material seems to be trash. Gerhardt's are excellent. I also like the albums that come from Tribute Film Classics and William Stromberg.

McNeely is hit or miss. I like his Herrmann rerecordings. The rest of the albums I've listened to from him are good in some spots, awful in others.

Try Jerry Goldsmith's Alex North rerecordings - A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, VIVA ZAPATA!, WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? and THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY. I wish he'd got round to SPARTACUS.

Try Jerry Goldsmith's Alex North rerecordings - A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, VIVA ZAPATA!, WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? and THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY. I wish he'd got round to SPARTACUS.

I've got STREETCAR, based on your recommendation, actually, if I'm remembering correctly. It's excellent.

I've got STREETCAR, based on your recommendation, actually, if I'm remembering correctly. It's excellent.

Glad you enjoy it. Always thought Necros's Theme in TLD was a knowing tribute to the Main Title (IIRC, Barry said it was the one of the scores that influenced him most).

The one thing I can't stand are all those horrible, clumsy take-downs-by-ear that are floating around out there. There seems to be a whole industry devoted to doing bad versions and recording it with Eastern European orchestras. Obviously, it's just done for greed by those record companies and their orchestrators, but we can't prevent them from legally doing it, even though the audience is obviously getting conned by them putting my name on the cd.

So, I'd much rather have them record from the original scores.

http://vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic_print.php?t=29956&start=0&sid=2a784eb48ed311d2ee5099ca4474153e

He's spot-on with that, for the most part. Although, in some cases, I wouldn't be surprised if his music sounded better being performed by a shoddy Eastern European orchestra.

Nic Raine did a nice job with LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. I wish someone like Williams would conduct a re-recording of it.