The OTHER Tolkien Adaptation Scores

Faleel

What not-Howard Shore Tolkien adaptation scores do you like?

• # 1 The Hobbit 1968 BBC Radio Drama

I really love the Medieval/troubadour-ish sound of the score (the Misty Mountain song is kinda bad though)

Thorin's Funeral music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS03zDAebiA&feature=youtu.be

• #2 Lord of the Rings BBC Radio Drama

Main Theme:

• #3 The Return of the King Rankin and Bass.

Main Title:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-MFJyKm5N0

Here are some other cues from the Hobbit Radio Drama, unfortunately the official CD is mono, and sourced from an FM recording, so I had to edit multiple cues together to get (relatively) clean versions:

Opening Theme/In the Halls of the Woodelves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnHQftLSzVA

Fanfare and Dance in Esgaroth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=486-D6WrCAg

• #4 The Lord of the Rings Ralph Bakshi film with music by Leonard Rosenman

I'll defend that score to my dying day. And the film has its merits, too, a few at least.

You have my sword!

Karol

I much prefer many of its character portrayals to their counterparts in the Jackson films. With Peter Woodthorpe's Sméagol at the top of the list.

I don't (and I think PJ actually improved several main characters in the film context - I like wha the did with Aragron and Boromir, for example). But the Bakshi version still avoids some cliché traps PJ stepped into, particularly in the later films. For example, it takes Gimli more seriously.

For example, it takes Gimli more seriously.

Yes, Gimli would be my next choice (being my own flesh and blood, and whatnot). Also Gandalf. I know it's heretical, given how enthusiastically the Jackson-McKellen Gandalf has been embraced, but I don't like that portrayal at all. I'd take the William Squire-voiced character any day (or, better still, Michael Hordern's from the BBC Radio adaptation).

So, yeah, Gollum, Gimli and Gandalf. Basically all the G characters. Don't even get me started on Galadriel...

Hold on Gloin, are you saying you didn't like McKellan's and Serkis' portrayal of their characters? Or was I just reading that wrong?

Especially if the former is true, HERESY, I say!

*ducks for cover* :biglaugh:

Not a criticism of the actors, who are both great. I just don't like those portrayals (down to the writing at least as much as the acting, I would imagine). Gandalf is too sentimental and luvvy-duvvy, while Sméagol is too...I was going to say childlike, but that can't be it since I don't know any children quite like that...but there's something of the ventriloquist's dummy-style childishness about him. Peter Woodthorpe's version rules!

• #4 The Lord of the Rings Ralph Bakshi film with music by Leonard Rosenman
I'll defend that score to my dying day. And the film has its merits, too, a few at least.

You have my sword!

Karol

I will help you bear this burden as long as it is yours to bear. For in parts it is indeed a burden.

20120727-161043.jpg

*ducks for cover* :biglaugh:

Not a criticism of the actors, who are both great. I just don't like those portrayals (down to the writing at least as much as the acting, I would imagine). Gandalf is too sentimental and luvvy-duvvy, while Sméagol is too...I was going to say childlike, but that can't be it since I don't know any children quite like that...but there's something of the ventriloquist's dummy-style childishness about him. Peter Woodthorpe's version rules!

So you are comparing radio dramas to acted ones? Hmmm. I can't see how can you do that fairly when other is voice acting combined with your own mental image of everything happening and the other is a complete portrayal of a character by an actor in a very visual medium. It is not exactly a fair comparison, especially when the other is an adaptation and the other is I take it, a complete or near complete presentation of the novels in audio format.

Serkis' version is a very good one and I defend the child-like attributes of the character as he really has them in the Smeagol persona. What I don't like is the visualization of Gollum in that he is made far too relatable. He has those big blue eyes and merely sallow skin when in the novel you get an image of an almost blind filmy eyed very pale underground fish or froglike creature. But such are the trials of adaptation. Some things work on film better than others and also serve multiple purposes.

This is one of the best moments in The Hobbit AUJ as it is closest we'll ever get to my idea of what he should look like:

hauj1176.jpg

McKellen's Gandalf is better in Lord of the Rings, exuding exactly the right amount of grim authority and sterness but also depicting genuine humanity and caring. In the Hobbit McKellen seems to go on autopilot at some points for which I blame the tepid script where he has been given the most obvious and silly things to say.

So you are comparing radio dramas to acted ones? Hmmm. I can't see how can you do that fairly when other is voice acting combined with your own mental image of everything happening and the other is a complete portrayal of a character by an actor in a very visual medium. It is not exactly a fair comparison, especially when the other is an adaptation and the other is I take it, a complete or near complete presentation of the novels in audio format.

No, I was referring to the Bakshi film too (so I guess it was inaccurate of me to attribute the portrayal only to Peter Woodthorpe).

I agree about the moment from "Riddles in the Dark". More generally, Serkis's "Gollum" persona has fewer of the characteristics which I dislike than his "Sméagol" one.

I think both are acted fantastically in the PJ movies and portrayed (by the actors and the writing) very well. The chaaracter writing is fine; it's the occasional out of character moments that (poorly) serve the film rather than the characters that bother me - like Smeagol's "and that wouldn't be very nice". Gandalf hitting Denethor, one of the lowest moments of the movies, is also a film moment rather than a character moment I think.

Agreed entirely. The biggest problem of PJ's Gollum is that made him too funny, and as a result, he's never really scary/threatening (apart from his entrance in TTT).

It doesnt likes us, does it Precious? Thinks we is too funny my love! We will show it! Make it feel funny for a change...oooohhh yes, it will see! And it woný find us very funny then *gollum...gollum*

I watched Sammo Hung's Magnificent Butcher recently and was shocked to hear some of Rosenman's LOTR score played near the end.

Got to love Hong Kong films and their shameless use of music from other productions.

The Vivendi game has a decent small scale score with some live instruments even. Especially the Hobbiton ditty is annoyingly chipper and catchy. Or perhaps it just took me too long to explore and finish that level and I was exposed to it for too long. :P

• 2 years later...