James Newton Howard's Maleficent

Jonesy

Yeah, the orchestral colors are sumptuous - but it's a bit too close to similar genre fare (Elfman choruses, prior JNH children movies), though i'd say it is better than a lot of them, harmonically more adventerous, might take two or three listens to get everything. A SNOW WHITE-like theme it hasn't, though (which i really like).

might take two or three listens to get everything.

That is entirely possible. I have listened to the entire album only once so far.

I never really thought of JNH as someone who rights really strong themes. He writes good or decent themes, but he's more of a colorist.

Yeah, that's true. I can hear several themes in this score, actually.

Did you guys just listen to a painting or what?

No, but there are some Horner moments in this. ;)

Karol

I only listened to Maleficent once but was blown away by the refreshing orchestral nature of it. Sure there was some modern drum stuff but it was more like a classic film score than the modern trend. I agree there isn't a strong main theme, and that is a bit disappointing, but the quality of the rest of the music made up for it, for me. I think I remember some Horner-ish moments, I also heard some Harry Potter-esque stuff and some Elfman-Batman-esque stuff.

Gonna give it a second listen in a little bit.

I never really thought of JNH as someone who writes really strong themes.

Sometimes he rights them, though...

He's usually dependable with his thematic material.

Agree with Jason, the orchestral writing is absoutely delicious and very Newton Howard-esque. I don't know about a recurring theme, but during the opening tracks I found myself whistling along with the music.

And when was the last time we got so much good tuba writing (and solos!) in a mainstream "serious" film?

Darn. Usually Howard's at his best when working for Disney (see below), but I'm halfway through the Suite and I don't hear anything I'll remember. And pardon me, but is the Mistress of All Evil's theme scored for a tuba? First tuba villain theme since Jabba the Hutt?

BloodBoal's painting analogy is actually apt. I like the color, but it's too abstract to make anything out. If this is the stuff Howard chose to extract for the suite, what's the rest going to be like? (UPDATE: "Welcome to the Moors" already sounds better than anything in the suite. Bit of a low bar, though.)

Howard made a disturbing comment in the liner notes to La-La Land's Wyatt Earp release that his writing for that score was much more melodic than he would have done if he'd composed it today (at which point I wanted to shake him and say, "Dude! That's a problem!"). Looks like this is the new way of things. I honestly don't remember Howard's most recent catchy theme.

But lest anyone suggest he isn't capable of them...

I actually think "The Maleficent Suite" may be the worst track on the album. I dunno what it's doing opening up the CD.

UPDATE: There are eight great notes near the 0:40 mark in "Aurora and the Fawn."

The suite is a great workout of the more impressionistic ideas from the score and the last 3 minutes present actually harmonically interesting thematic material.

A solid B. It's hampered a bit by the lack of a strong theme and some generic action music, but the more colorful impressionistic pieces make up for it. Listen to SUITE, MALEFICENT FLIES, THE CHRISTENING and THE QUEEN OF FAERIELAND for the score's best features.

I already said all this in my review. ;)

I actually think "The Maleficent Suite" may be the worst track on the album. I dunno what it's doing opening up the CD.

My favourite track on the album... talk about different tastes :)

I found that after the first couple of tracks, it steadily got less and less interesting. Maybe I'm not into childrens' fantasy types of music, but it's a disappointment for me.

Anyone slightly more tempted to see the film knowing how good the score is?

I mean, I had zero desire before, now I kinda, sort of want to see it.... not in the theater though.

Anyone slightly more tempted to see the film knowing how good the score is?

I mean, I had zero desire before, now I kinda, sort of want to see it.... not in the theater though.

I was always going to have to see it, but I'm more excited than I may otherwise have been due to the score.

It also looks like it may not be all that bad anyway.

I think it works great in the film, I was very happy with the score. something I can't say about all the other summer films.

totally disagree, thought it was excellent. Both Dave and I didn't expect to like it nearly as much as we did. The 3D was not a plus though. We had a choice of seeing it at 4:55 in 3D for 8 bucks or the 7 for 8 bucks, so we went 3D.

Dave gets off work at 330 and is home by 4. I get off at 4:30 and get home in less than 5 min. The theatre is 1 minute from the house.

If we go to a matinee, the prices are 6 buck for 2D, 8 for 3D. Evening is 8 and 10 respectively.

Saturday morning shows at 10 are 6 bucks which include free drink and popcorn.

Mon. and Tues is 5 buck matinee and bring your own bowl for free popcorn. Our theatre has popcorn worth going back for.

But we live in a small rural town of 25k. We're fortunate to have a great movie house. Now if we can only get a decent Chinese restaurant within 150 miles.

well I do too when in Little Rock, but not memphis.

I might go to Hastings and buy the Maleficent score tomorrow.

I'm listening to the score now. It's one of JNH's stronger efforts, and I like how he opted to go fully orchestral. It just needs a stronger theme to tie all these magnificent pieces into a great listening experience.

Are you all serious, that such an opulent fairy tale score doesn't have a strong unifying theme? Elfman may have given us Oh Canada for Oz, but at least he gave us something.

It has some nice melodic hooks and clearly defined themes/melodies, just not a very strong, impressionable/memorable main theme.

Of course there's no strong theme. This is modern film music we are talking about here!

I've only heard two strong melodies in movies in the past three years.

I now listened to the score, and while I find it pleasant overall, it's ultimately not really doing it for me (similar to the Last Airbender score). In style it reminds me of The Perfume a lot.

I'm listening to it now

so far it's like Peter Pan but without a strong main theme

The first minute of Maleficent is Captured exemplifies what's wrong with it. You've got these big sweeping orchestral gestures, but totally devoid of any interest

I'll give it a point over Godzilla, but I won't be revisiting it either

Some select cues from the itunes-Store or amazon should suffice, i'd say the Suite, Maleficent Flies, The Christening and The Queen of Fairieland should give you the best the score has to offer.