Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection

Faleel

The track 'Epiphany/Savages part 2' from pocahontas may include (in epiphany) the just arround the river bend lyrics that are in the OST booklet but not on the CD track (the melody is there but instrumental only). This probably will be mixed with the OST savages pt 2, while the cue within the main score will have the epiphany without singing and savages with toned down film lyrics.

I didn't realize there were lyrics to that scene. Were those lyrics recorded and who sang them? I assumed 'Epiphany/Savages (Part 2) (Alternate Version)' would be the album version and 'Savages' (which, based on the track time, includes Savages 1, Epiphany, and Savages 2) would contain the film version of 'Epiphany.'

Well the savages 2 does not have any toned down lyrics, my mistake, the changes are in part 1. so maybe the only change is the added lyrics in epiphany.

It's pocahontas saying them: (i suppose that if the lyrics made into the booklet they must have been recorded...)

"Is there nothing I can do,

will this really be the end,

Is it only death that waits,

Just around the riverbend?

But you are right...the film has a diferent version of epiphany, so it may just be that. Film and album version.

That's very interesting. I'm surprised it didn't end up in the bonus features on the DVD or Blu-ray... at least, I don't recall seeing it. The film version of Epiphany has actually been officially released on the French and French-Canadian OSTs and possibly elsewhere. I didn't find this out until earlier this month.

Aristocats track listing (sourced from Amazon.com listing):

Disc 1
1. Main Title / The Aristocats (Maurice Chevalier)
2. Thanks Ed / Up the Staircase
3. Duet of Micaela and Don José
4. Habanera
5. The Will/Kitten Fun
6. Alley Cat / Sleep Kitten
7. Scales and Arpeggios (Liz English, Robie Lester, Dean Clark and Gary Dubin)
8. Nice Melody
9. The Butler Sneak
10. Two Dogs and a Cycle
11. Cold Nights / No Cats
12. Thomas O'Malley Cat (Phil Harris)
13. Cat's Love Theme
14. Cat's Meow
15. She Never Felt Alone
16. It's the Butler / Headlines
17. Nine Lives / Railroad Depot
18. Safe
19. The Goose Steps High
20. How Romantic / The Goose Steps High Again
21. Here Comes Edgar
22. The Butler Speaks
23. Git It Good / The Butler Did It
24. My Paree
25. Ev'rybody Wants to Be a Cat (Scatman Crothers, Phil Harris, Thurl Ravenscroft, Robie Lester and Liz English)
26. Paris Night
27. Pretty Melody
28. My Paree
29. Where Are My Cats
30. Find O'Malley
31. Blues
32. Cat Chase
33. The Butler / After Her
34. My Paree
35. Ev'rybody Wants to be a Cat (Finale) (Scatman Crothers, Phil Harris, Ruth Buzzi and Chorus)

Disc 2
1. How Much You Mean to Me / Court Me Slowly (Demo) (Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman)
2. How Much You Mean to Me / Court Me Slowly (Corey Burton and Kate Higgins)
3. Pourquois? (Demo) (Richard M. Sherman)
4. Pourquois? (Kate Higgins)
5. My Way's the Highway (Demo) (Richard M. Sherman)
6. My Way's the Highway (Randy Crenshaw)
7. Le Jazz Hot (Demo) (Richard M. Sherman)
8. Le Jazz Hot (Ty Taylor)
9. The Aristocats (Album Version) (The Mike Sammes Singers)
10. Scales and Arpeggios (Album Version) (Susan Novack, Gregory Novack, Victor Sweler and The Mike Sammes Singers)
11. She Never Felt Alone (Album Version) (Robie Lester)
12. Thomas O'Malley Cat (Album Version) (Phil Harris)
13. Ev'rybody Wants to Be a Cat (Album Version) (Phil Harris and The Mike Sammes Singers)

This one's definitely expanded, if not complete.

The Aristocats is greatly expanded...and it'll probably be remastered... WHY DID THEY NOT DO THIS FOR SLEEPING BEAUTY!?!? IT MAKES NO SENSE!

But the Sleeping Beauty elements WERE found:

http://animatedviews.com/2008/once-upon-a-dream-sara-duran-singer-on-sleeping-beautys-restoration/

So when we started restoring this, we also do audio restorations which I think if you listen to any of the DVDs, we’ve gone back and we’ve cleaned up the tracks and done what we’ve called a Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix, which is kind of trying to do a surround spread. Oviously with other titles we’re limited to the mono mix and could only do a ‘fake’ spread, but with this particular title, when we started researching the elements and picked out the sound elements to do the cleanup and the mix, we found these original score recordings that were recorded in Berlin in 1958, the original 3-track. And it was like, ‘Wooh, gold, we found it.’ So, what we did is take those 35mm 3-tracks of the music scoring. We digitized them into Pro-Tools. We then had a music editor and match cut those to what was in the movie. We cleaned it up, we reduced the noise, we equalized it, and then we gave it to our Academy Award-nominated mixer Terry Porter, who does all of our animated Platinum mixes, and he was able to do an amazing 5.1 and 7.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater mix.

But the Sleeping Beauty elements WERE found:

http://animatedviews.com/2008/once-upon-a-dream-sara-duran-singer-on-sleeping-beautys-restoration/

So when we started restoring this, we also do audio restorations which I think if you listen to any of the DVDs, we’ve gone back and we’ve cleaned up the tracks and done what we’ve called a Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix, which is kind of trying to do a surround spread. Oviously with other titles we’re limited to the mono mix and could only do a ‘fake’ spread, but with this particular title, when we started researching the elements and picked out the sound elements to do the cleanup and the mix, we found these original score recordings that were recorded in Berlin in 1958, the original 3-track. And it was like, ‘Wooh, gold, we found it.’ So, what we did is take those 35mm 3-tracks of the music scoring. We digitized them into Pro-Tools. We then had a music editor and match cut those to what was in the movie. We cleaned it up, we reduced the noise, we equalized it, and then we gave it to our Academy Award-nominated mixer Terry Porter, who does all of our animated Platinum mixes, and he was able to do an amazing 5.1 and 7.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater mix.

...I cannot believe that even though the elements to remaster and expand the score to Sleeping Beauty were found prior to Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection, THEY DID NOT BOTHER TO USE SAID ELEMENTS AND INSTEAD JUST REISSUED THE PREVIOUS SOUNDTRACK RELEASE (not even remastered) WITH ONLY A SECOND DISC OF IRRELEVANT MATERIAL!

It seemed to be more lack of interest rather than lack of resources. But if Aristocats is expanded, then I'm not sure at this point. Why this one and not the other classic scores? I'm not familiar with Aristocats, so are we sure this is expanded based off the track listing?

I think the aristocats had never been issued on CD nor expanded? and probably just the album with songs.

The other disney classic had their CD expanded reissues a few years ago.

They did the sony-star wars route and just re-issued the previously expanded sets...

It's a shame becasue Sleeping beauty had better tapes (the other's i dont think so).

Pocahontas samples! Unfortunately the "farewell" sample does not show anything new...so the doubt still remains :P

http://www.saturn.de/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/MultiChannelShowMediaPlayer?storeId=48352&catEntryId=2200116&langId=-3&track=0&track=11&playlist=playlist&mediaType=audio

(the same on amazon.de, but this player seems to work better)

I skipped the Sleeping Beauty reissue because I bought the OST on Amazon in recent memory, and have a Tchaikovsky 2 disc that's basically superior anyways, even though it omits the singing. Wait, that's a good thing.

Robin Hood would be great.

So far the bonus discs of some of these releases have featured The Lost Chords. Originally digital releases of the demo and then new performance. The Legacy discs have just ported those over for Cinderella and Aristocats. But...there's also a Lost Chord release for The Rescuers and Peter Pan. Perhaps we'll see those expanded releases in the future?!

Do you think Disney will release "The Lion King 2" in this Legacy Collection?

It was just a direct-to-video movie.. But the songs and the score are so great!!

It'd be interesting to see some other Disney sequels in there too. I'd love a complete Bambi II.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening but I would like to be wrong about that.

Interestingly, the Pocahontas LC features non-censored lyrics and censored lyrics in Savages. "Their whole disgusting race is like a curse!" (rather than "Here's what you get when races are diverse!") remains but "Dirty shrieking devils!" is used instead of "Dirty redskin devils!" As expected, Farewell has the reprise and the alternate Epiphany has the lyrics that were mentioned earlier in the thread. That was a nice surprise. The Epiphany track in "Savages is the film version and not the album version. And it seems to have to the complete score, too.

EDIT: After listening to the album again, "Steady as the Beating Drum" doesn't have the complete opening and "The Council Meeting" is missing about 9 seconds of isolated percussion. Other than that and some slight differences compared to the film mix, the LC features all the music. My main gripe is that ends and beginnings of unrelated cues "cross fade" (I don't know the appropriate term) into each other in certain tracks. Another gripe is the second disc could have easily fit the instrumentals of all the songs. It's a very well done set, regardless.

Farewell has the film version of the reprise. From the OST, you would need Savages Part 2 since it includes the other version of Epiphany and Savages Part 1 if you want the uncensored lyrics. And maybe a few of the instrumental tracks, such as The Warriors Arrive, if you want clean openings of certain cues. To make it more complete, you can get the Pocahontas sing a long CD, which includes 5 song instrumentals.

• 2 weeks later...

Aristocats is sooo damn good! Disc one at least, the second one.... ehhh, not so much. The only passable thing from Disc Two is "Le Jazz Hot" which is decent enough I guess -though all these discarded songs sound like much more like Broadway than anything else, which isn't like the tone of the film in the slightest- and the so called "album versions" are bizarre to say the least, somewhat cool, but pale compared to Bruns' versions.

Disc One features so much neat stuff and it's quite nicely remastered. There's a lot of unused bits and pieces that either don't appear in the film at all or were the full arrangements before getting edited down to fit the film. The opening from the Thomas O'Malley song is a such cool intro, though I think I can understand why it ended up unused. Also the ending from Everybody Wants to be a Cat, which in this version is so damn fantastic! I've been listening to it on repeat again and again. From the score itself it's so nice to finally have a lot of music that wasn't available before or we had in poor quality. Overall, great stuff. Here's hoping Jungle Book gets the same treatement.

So....I suppose this is the end of the Legacy Collection now? There are no more announced titles on the horizon, and it was only announced to last through 2015. I wonder if something will take its place, if they'll continue it, or just let it rest from here out?

Only time will tell. Hopefully they will announce a continuation of the series. I want Mulan!

Here's a reminder of what COULD come out in the future

Well, since Disney seems to be celebrating any anniversary ending in 0 or 5 with this line, I thought I'd compile a list of what could be on tap for 2016-2020:

2016:

Dumbo (75th)

Make Mine Music (70th)

Song Of The South (70th)

Alice In Wonderland (65th)

One Hundred And One Dalmatians (55th)

Walt Disney World (45th)

Bedknobs and Broomsticks (45th)

The Fox and The Hound (35th)

The Great Mouse Detective (30th)

Beauty And the Beast (25th)

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (20th)

--

Atlantis: The Lost Empire (15th)

Monsters, Inc (15th)

Cars (10th)

Winnie the Pooh (5th)

Cars 2 (5th)

2017:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (80th)

Bambi (75th)

Saludos Amigos (75th)

Fun And Fancy Free (70th)

The Jungle Book (50th)

Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh (40th)

The Rescuers (40th)

Pete's Dragon (40th)

Aladdin (25th)

Hercules (20th)

--

Lilo and Stitch (15th)

Treasure Planet (15th)

Meet The Robinsons (10th)

Enchanted (10th)

Ratatouille (10th)

Wreck-It-Ralph (5th)

Brave (5th)

2018:

Melody Time (70th)

Peter Pan (65th)

The Sword In The Stone (55th)

Robin Hood (45th)

Oliver and Company (30th)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (30th)

Mulan (20th)

A Bug's Life (20th)

--

Brother Bear (15th)

Finding Nemo (15th)

Bolt (10th)

WALL-E (10th)

Frozen (5th)

Monsters University (5th)

2019:

The Three Caballeros (75th)

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (70th)

Tarzan (20th)

Fantasia 2000 (20th)

Toy Story 2 (20th)

--

Home On the Range (15th)

The Incredibles (15th)

The Princess And The Frog (10th)

Up (10th)

Big Hero 6 (5th)

2020:

The Black Cauldron (35th) - Intrada already covered this one.

Rescuers Down Under (30th)

Dinosaur (20th)

The Emperor's New Groove (20th)

--

Chicken Little (15th)

Tangled (10th)

Toy Story 3 (10th)

Inside Out (5th)

The Good Dinosaur (5th)

So....I suppose this is the end of the Legacy Collection now? There are no more announced titles on the horizon, and it was only announced to last through 2015. I wonder if something will take its place, if they'll continue it, or just let it rest from here out?

I wouldn't lose hope. The LC was first announced in May 2014 with its first release (The Lion King) in June 2014. I remember the announcement coming out of left field. I certainly wasn't expecting it. If the collection continues, they may announce it next year.

But at least Pilgrim likes Bruns, so we're safe on that area.... right?

Pilgrim... Safe... Doesn't compute. Error system... Error system... Kill all humans... Kill all humans...

chopping-mall31.gif

Hm? Why are y'all talking about me? We need that tag function so this sort of stuff doesn't go unnoticed!

Well, Aritocats...

I like this release a lot. Not least because it does truly seem to be complete, or greatly expanded at least. It makde a change for an older classic to have this release: other 'older classics' have not had as decent a treatment in this collection. I think it's a good ending to this round of the Legacy Collection.

Just got around to Aristocats. Holy smokes. They really went all out for this. A stunning release. I sincerely hope they don't give up on this line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened to this, its good stuff, won't be in my top 10, but not horrible either, that Butler sneak music instantly put a smile on my face.

Regarding this release: while I noticed a bit of distortion in the strings on 1 or 2 cues, the music sounded spectacular.

• 1 month later...

Still no word on if Disney will continue The Legacy Collection with more scores in the future, but they are releasing a box set of the first 12 releases on November 13th.

The box set costs $260, which is roughly $70 more than you could buy the releases individually for right now! So its a $70 box. WTF, Disney?

911PgkI5QqL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0147YG78S