Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection

Faleel

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

Of the classics, I'm also hoping for The Sword in the Stone.

As far as I recall: The newer ones (i.e. starting with Mermaid) utterly complete, the old ones just remastered editions of what we had before. But in the case of Robin Hood we never had anything, so I guess they should put most on it.

Newer ones were often complete but not necessarily so, but that all depends on how you define 'complete'. The Lion King, for instance, wasn't complete on account of not having alternates or even one or two pieces as the film has them, but it hardly mattered because all the music was represented.

Yes, Disney has not approached these as the boutique labels do necessarily.  For me, the coolest was creating the "full" versions of the unused songs for Mary Poppins.  That's the kind of thing you can only do with a Disney budget.

i almost prefer them to release the cds without announcing the whole set....

while it's nice to know what is coming... having to wait months or even a year for one score was no funny :P

Apparently According to a poster on Jay's thread for this release on the FSM board, this is a 2 disc release with songs and score on disc 1 and demos and some other stuff on disc 2

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see the western demo! For anyone interested, the film was originally suppossed to take place in a western setting, but at a very late time they changed it to medieval. That's why you still hear a lot of southern accents and instruments in the songs you would associate more with the old west than with medieval times.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Louis Prima Bonus Tracks? How did those come about?

Probably a promotional album he did based on the movie. Like he and Phil Harris did with Jungle Book.

4 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Nice to see the western demo! For anyone interested, the film was originally suppossed to take place in a western setting, but at a very late time they changed it to medieval. That's why you still hear a lot of southern accents and instruments in the songs you would associate more with the old west than with medieval times.

I never knew that. Interesting!

4 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Probably a promotional album he did based on the movie. Like he and Phil Harris did with Jungle Book.

But Prima had a role in The Jungle Book. What's his connection to Robin Hood?

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But Prima had a role in The Jungle Book. What's his connection to Robin Hood?

It's this album

R-7066385-1432922747-2962.jpeg.jpg

http://www.discogs.com/Louis-Prima-With-Sam-Butera-And-The-Witnesses-Lets-Hear-It-For-Robin-Hood/release/7066385

No idea why they used him other than I guess they just liked Louis Prima!

From what I've read, Prima had such a blast working on Jungle Book (and his subsequent Let's Fly With Mary Poppins album) that he begged for a role in Robin Hood, but he had to settle for the above album, which I've never heard but look forward to listening to ironically. :D

Treating this thread as one for general Disney music.

A new Mickey Mouse cartoon came out this month that my daughter is in love with.  It's called "Swimmin' Hole" and there's a nice little musical callback/reference at 2:40.  There's later a bluegrass arrangement at 3:00!  Hats off to Christopher Willis (the credited composer).

I don't mind waiting a little bit longer for this given I didn't think it would happen at all. I'm just hoping this won't be a one-off: I'd love to have The Fox And The Hound and Aladdin as well.

Anyone remember which Disney email someone contacted when Toy Story seemingly disappeared from the release window during the initial run? They responded immediately with details of what was happening. Maybe they'd do it again with info about other titles down the line?

• 1 month later...

Just listened to the new Robin Hood Legacy Collection Soundtrack on spotify.
It's beautiful and feels very nostalgically. Great woodwind composing in this score!
Let's hope for many more Legacy Soundtracks in the future :)

1 hour ago, BuzzLightyear said:

Just listened to the new Robin Hood Legacy Collection Soundtrack on spotify.
It's beautiful and feels very nostalgically. Great woodwind composing in this score!
Let's hope for many more Legacy Soundtracks in the future :)

Linky link?

I'll be buying this on release day over here in the UK. I've listened to it on YouTube and I really like it. It's nice to have this officially-available at last.

Hopefully The Fox and the Hound and Aladdin are done in the future too.

10 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The Fox and the Hound!

1 hour ago, Gistech said:

Hopefully The Fox and the Hound and Aladdin are done in the future too.

It's nice to see how popular The Fox and the Hound is. That's one of my favourites too.
I also hope for Bambi and The Jungle Book.

Having listened to the whole thing, my top recommendation is to avoid the second disc like the plague. Most of those demos and alternates are pretty damn embarassing, as that Louie Prima thingy. I'm surprised how well the actual songs in the film ended up being when they are basically re-arrangements of those demos.

The first disc of course is great. I heard some minor audio issues here and there, but could be due to the fact that the original score was recorded in mono. How great is finally having Prince John's fanfare clean? And that fire cue, I've been practically waiting to hear it all my freaking life.